What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL-39/G3X Question

G3X Expert - My G3X single GDU370 does not have XM weather. If connect the GDL-39 to the GDU will it display both weather and traffic? Also, I have a GNS480 configured to serial port 1 and my Sorcerer autopilot to serial port 2. The internconnect info on the GDL-39, prohibit connection to G3X serial port 3. My plan is to move the Sorcerer to serial port 3 and configure the GDl-39 to serial port 2. Will this work? Thanks....

G3X Expert - My G3X single GDU370 does not have XM weather. If connect the GDL-39 to the GDU will it display both weather and traffic? Also, I have a GNS480 configured to serial port 1 and my Sorcerer autopilot to serial port 2. The internconnect info on the GDL-39, prohibit connection to G3X serial port 3. My plan is to move the Sorcerer to serial port 3 and configure the GDl-39 to serial port 2. Will this work? Thanks....

Hello RV8A,

One of the questions we receive a lot from customers that bought a portable or GDU370 that doesn't support XM weather is whether or not these displays will now magically display traffic and weather when a GDL39 is attached. The answer is YES!

All of the Aera 5XX, Aera 79X, GPSMAP 69X, and GDU37X units will display ADS-B traffic and weather with a GDL39 even though some of them didn't support XM weather.

Yes, you may move the Sorcerer and the GDL39 will work on Serial Port 2 as you have suggested.

Thanks,
Steve

Serial Port 1: GNS480
Serial Port 2: GDL39
Serial Port 3: Sorcerer Autopilot

Thanks for the quick response, I will now have weather and traffic on the G3X and 696...Sweet....I do love all my Garmin Products, my entire panel is now Garmin and I will soon be making the upgrade to my GTX330 to ES for the complete ADS-B traffic picture. Keep up the great customer service and inovative aviation products.:)

GDL-39 VS DYNON SKYVIEW

Hello G3X Expert

Will the GDL-39 work with a Skyview and is it worth installing for someone flying in Canada but close to the border??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

ADS-B in Quebec

Hello G3X Expert

Will the GDL-39 work with a Skyview and is it worth installing for someone flying in Canada but close to the border??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hello Bruno,

Sorry, but the GDL39 does not work with a Skyview system.

There are a few ADS-B ground stations up close to the border in Vermont and New York that might be useable for you in Saint-Jerome at some altitude.

Maybe someone on this forum has flown up there with a receiver and can help us out here.

Thanks,
Steve

Conneting GDL-39 to both G3X and 696

G3X Expert, I tried to connect to both 696 & G3x using the Tx & Rx and the G3X will not recognize the GDL-39 on serial port one. Any advise or a pinout to lead me in the right direction? I tried t connect the GDL to only the G3X and it will not recognize it. I have G3X software version 7.20/

G3X Expert, I tried to connect to both 696 & G3x using the Tx & Rx and the G3X will not recognize the GDL-39 on serial port one. Any advise or a pinout to lead me in the right direction? I tried t connect the GDL to only the G3X and it will not recognize it. I have G3X software version 7.20/

Hello RV8A,

The GDL39 can be connected to either the GPSMAP 696 or the GDU37X, but not both. In a G3X system the GDL39 is connected to the MFD and data is shared with the PFD(s).

Page D-12 of the G3X Installation Manual provides all the information you need to connect and configure the GDL39 to a GDU37X. Make sure you configure the serial port for Garmin Data Transfer as specified in the configuration section.

If you have any more trouble, let us know how it is wired and configured and we will get it sorted out. It leaps into action as soon as it is properly wired and configured and the Data Link Information page becomes available. You can send us an email or call if you prefer to receive help that way.

Thanks,
Steve

G3X expert, the GDL works great to the 696 which if I have to choose between the G3X or 696 in my case the 696 wins. It would be nice if I could display on both. Thanks for the help.....:)

Gdl-39

Hello G3X Expert(Steve)

Thanks a lot for the info,it'appreciated

One of these days Canada too will be part of the 21st Century..:rolleyes:

Cheers

Bruno

ADS-B out

Steve,
Does any of the equipment mentioned in this thread to date, including the ES option, provide the 'out' function that returns complete traffic?
Not just other ADS-b equipped aircraft.
Thanks!

Steve,
Does any of the equipment mentioned in this thread to date, including the ES option, provide the 'out' function that returns complete traffic?
Not just other ADS-b equipped aircraft.
Thanks!

Hello flyingriki,

Good question. To receive the full traffic picture (from all those mode C aircraft) you need to receive TIS-B uplinks from an ADS-B ground station. For this to happen, you need to be considered a participating aircraft by the ground station.

One of the most common ways to become an ADS-B participating aircraft is to install a transponder like the GTX330ES or GTX23ES that continually send out position reports as a 1090 Mhz extended squitter.

RV8A mentioned upgrading his GTX330 mode S transponder to have extended squitter (ES) which could put him in this elite group of participating aircraft.

Once you are participating, an ADS-B receiver like the dual frequency GDL39 will be providing both air-to-air and uplinked traffic when you are within the service area of a ground station.

I hope your question was answered. You might also visit the Garmin ADS-B Academy for more information.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
Just added the GDL39 to my 696 and everything is working perfectly, having cancelled my XM suscription last month I was feeling "naked" without my weather so it great to have that back.

Next thing I need to do is upgrade my GTX330 to ES, is that upgrade ready to go and can I ship the unit directly to Garmin or does it need to go through a "dealer"?

GTX330 ES Upgrade Info

Steve,
Just added the GDL39 to my 696 and everything is working perfectly, having cancelled my XM suscription last month I was feeling "naked" without my weather so it great to have that back.

Next thing I need to do is upgrade my GTX330 to ES, is that upgrade ready to go and can I ship the unit directly to Garmin or does it need to go through a "dealer"?

Hello Walt,

Thanks for reporting on your GDL39 success. It looks like Texans have some pretty good ground station coverage.

Glad you asked about the GTX330 Extended Squitter (ES) upgrade. We have a new process that allows experimental customers a choice of either visiting their dealer or removing their transponder and sending it directly to us. Just contact us via the phone/email below when you are ready to do that and we will get you setup. There is a RV driver and EAA Chapter 1111 president we can thank for encouraging us to push this change through (although many of you have asked for this).:)

You can get an ES upgrade at any time (and see immediate benefits with a screen full of traffic targets!), but we are really close to having the new transponder software certified that incorporates all the changes necessary to make it ADS-B Out 2020 compliant. The software upgrade is free with the $1,200 ES upgrade, so you might want to hold off a bit before you send it in. I don't think there is any benefit to upgrading GTX330 software if you don't have the ES option.

Anyone wanting to be put on the "New GTX Software is Ready" notification list (for the GTX23ES and GTX330ES), just send G3Xpert an email and I will make sure you get added to the list.

Thanks,
Steve

GTX330ES Update

Steve,
Once the 2020 certification is approved, I will send my 330 in for upgrade, great customer service to allow the Experimental crowd to ship direct.

Please let us know when the certification is approved.:)

Back