What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH Get Together for RV-8/8A folks?

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
We need to decide when to have the traditional OSH RV-8/8A builder/flyer get together. Looking at the schedule, I see the following times to avoid:

Monday 1000 - 1115 - Team RV Interview
Monday 1130 - 1245 - Tips & tricks for RV Kits forum
Monday 1445 - 1515 - RV-1 Arrival & Donation to EAA
Monday 1530 - 1800 - Airshow

Tuesday 1000 - 1200 - Salute to Van at Theatre in the Woods
Tuesday 1300 - 1415 - RV-1 on Display at Homebuilders Hangar
Tuesday 1530 - 1800 - Airshow

Wednesday 0830 - 0945 - Tips & tricks for RV Kits forum
Wednesday 1000 - 1115 - Plane Talk- Team RV
Wednesday 1130 - 1245 - Build a RV - Ken Scott
Wednesday 1530 - 1800 - Airshow

I see the following possible windows:

Tuesday 1400 - 1500 (if you want to see the RV-1 at Homebuilder's Hangar, do it early)
Wednesday 1315 - 1500

Note: I don't expect to be on site after Wednesday, so I won't propose a second slot later in the week. But, if someone else wants to propose a second slot, feel free to do so.

I know many people leave Tuesday PM after the airshow, so I'd rather do this on Tuesday than Wednesday. I propose we meet at the Theatre in the Woods, at 1400 on Tuesday. If someone sees an issue with this proposal, please point it out, and propose another time. We'll come to a consensus decision after a good discussion of the options.

Unless I missed something, an 0830 or 0900 meeting on Tuesday would work, wouldn't it? That way, we'd be at the Theater in the Woods for the 1000 presentation.

Thanks for remembering this, Kevin. I've been lax about organizing this since I started flying ... sorry.

Post the time when it's decided and I'm sure I'll be there. Oh, and Bob Dimeo is still in charge of doughnuts. :D

Unless I missed something, an 0830 or 0900 meeting on Tuesday would work, wouldn't it? That way, we'd be at the Theater in the Woods for the 1000 presentation.

I almost suggested this option, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be for folks staying off site to get to OSH early in the day. I'm in that boat this year, due to two major issues that I discovered on the weekend. Our aircraft will be out of service for an extended period (I'll post more details in a separate thread, once I've dug deeper into things, so let's not clutter this thread with any more on my problems). We're going to drive to WI, and will be staying with one of my wife's sisters in Green Bay. I'll be driving down to OSH and back each day.

But, this early Tuesday slot merits serious consideration. Let's see what other folks say, and we can make a decision in a few days.

We considering two options to meet at Theatre in the Woods:

• Tuesday at 0900, or
  • Tuesday at 1400

Please let us know which you prefer, and why.

Sorry to hear that, Kevin. Knowing you, it's bound to be a tragic story. Like the song says, "... if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all." :confused:

As much as I'm anxious to know what's wrong with that beautiful RV of yours, I know that it won't be good. :mad:

What am I gonna have to do, sell you Smokey? He doesn't give me a lick of trouble ...

As for the gathering times, I'm in for either. I just know that I'm more likely to get sucked into Oshkosh and forget about an afternoon meeting than an early morning one. Either way, I'll try to be there, if for no other reason than to hear your tale and console you.

Tuesday morning there is a Young Eagles/Eagles Nest forum going on starting at (I think) 0830....not that everyone needs/wants to go to that, but it might be a conflict for some.

No time will work for veryone!

Paul

Tuesday at 1400 works for me.. I'm working the booth in Hangar B and can get one of my snivelling underlings to cover things. Thanks Kevin, it's been a long time since we've had a chance to chat and sadly we're in the same boat with our -8's. Flew it there last year but this year she's down for a major panel/systems refit. See you guys then!

Based on all the input I've received, on VAF, via PM and email, I've decided to follow Dan MacNamara's idea of doing the meeting just before the big Van's deal on Tuesday AM.

9 AM Tuesday, at the Theatre in the Woods, facing the flight line. See you there.

Any weekend players??

Is anyone staying through the weekend? I'm flying a Hawkeye in on Friday for static display through the weekend. I'm hoping to eyeball some -8's for some builder inspiration and finishing ideas for my project (wiring & panel work currently).

Maybe a second meeting for the "second half" players?

Lots of 8 guys will make an appearance at Dan Horton's gathering on Monday after the air show Location is Forum Building #2 ("GAMA" on your Airventure map), NE corner of the forums plaza, overlooking Area 51 RV parking. Leave the Vans tent on a heading of 250, go 150 yards and perhaps there could be coincidental gathering of like minded 8 pilots and builders at the NE corner of this forum building, say at 6pm with a cool one in hand. :)

Just a quick note....the Monday night RV beer gathering has been moved to the SOS Brothers tent just outside the EAA grounds. Look for the yellow balloon.

As for the -8 gathering, see you Tuesday morning....hopefully ;)

Is anyone staying through the weekend? I'm flying a Hawkeye in on Friday for static display through the weekend. I'm hoping to eyeball some -8's for some builder inspiration and finishing ideas for my project (wiring & panel work currently).

Maybe a second meeting for the "second half" players?

I will have left by then, so I'm not going to try to herd the cats for a second meeting. But, you likely won't be the only guy who comes in later in the week and misses the Tuesday gather. Feel free to organize a late in the week gathering.

Back