VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 AM

Default No one has answered

Edit: Can't edit suject line but would like it to read "No has justified". Why does it have to be a CFI? I know about Mike S., he is one of the guys I have corresponded with and his appointment book as I recall is many months out for an open slot, hard to judge when to schedule this with my floating estimate of when I think I will be done, although I think I have it down now to +- 2 months.

I have friends and EAA members who will let me fly with them and I thought that was all I would need, so I did not pursue a date with Mike. Now the insurance company wants dual with a CFI. I don't agree that it has to be a CFI, the important point is to get experience in a similar airplane. The airplane will be aerobatic but the insurance company does not require CFI training in that discipline, perhaps due to my background, but I have not read anyone on this forum that has had an insurance company require that training.

@Pierre: What you are talking about is basics to good instruction and evaluation of abilities and I know that CFIs are trained in these principles. So was I, as an instructor is several airplanes while in the Air Force. The guys I have flown with are just like me, experienced instructors from the military, just without CFI certification. Kind of makes you go hmmm. If a guy can teach in a T-38, 37, F-X why can't they spin me up on RV handling since they have the experience in the plane, the answer is they should.

I am not talking about going up for joy rides, although that is fun as well. The RV-7 I flew was with a current and certified test pilot and I will tell you he showed me handling that no CFI has ever shown me, more to the point his explanations of what was going on while he did it was top notch. Yet this guy is not qualified?

The issue should be experience in the plane not who administers that experience. This just promotes guys to just fly without any experience at all. Getting the experience should be made easily accessible not difficult and expensive. Just my opinion.
N800ME
www.mykitlog.com/rvg8tor
http://www.youtube.com/user/rvg8tor?feature=mhee

Last edited by RVG8tor : 04-24-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM

Default True.

PM sent Mike.

Best,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM

"Getting the experience should be made easily accessible not difficult and expensive."

+1

Now this is a really great statment!
Slow Build
Last 90%
Tyler, Texas
Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccidude1 View Post
Check www.rvatransition.com in Reno
This was just what we were looking for. We made contact with Dan and he structured something to fit our (or rather our insurance company's) needs, even coming to us so three different pilots could get this done.

Thanks to those who responded.

Dale