What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Putting top cowl back after cutting cutline??

gstone

Well Known Member
After cutting the top cowl on my Rocket, app .5 inches, I find that I need to put it back!! Maybe my Rocket is fat??? Started this process by sanding the back inside with 80 grit and tapering the inside edge a bit. Laid the first layup on the inside and seems to have set nice and clean. Want to know if the FG Experts have any words of wisdom as to how to complete this task and end up with something near what I had??? Plan to re-cut on the proper line after getting the build up back on....

6s5saq.jpg

Thanks in advance!!
Greg

Looks good

Greg,

Looks good to me. Add your next layer on top of the cowl with a little more overlap than you have on the bottom (4-5") so you can feather it out after it's cured. You may have to live with a little hump at the overlap, but the new edge should be 99% as strong as the original.

T.

Started this process by sanding the back inside with 80 grit and tapering the inside edge a bit. Laid the first layup on the inside and seems to have set nice and clean.

Go here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=81595

To add a half inch you'll use the fabric layup method.

Not sure how much you tapered the inside. A scarf joint requires sanding to a sharp edge. There is no second layup session, and little or no filler. All the glass is in a single layup with enough plies to equal the thickness of the original glass. After cure all the excess thickness on the inside of the original cowling glass is sanded away. The overlap is not necessary for strength, and leaving it will mismatch the hinge halves. The joint strength is in the wide scarf taper.

Hard to say from the photo, but it looks like you may have done a partial scarf like below. The tendency will be to add a filler to gain full thickness on the outside. However, strength will not be similar to the original glass. The good news? It's glass; just remove the strip and do it again....no problem.

2yui0lf.jpg

Back