What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

200+ and Still Grinning

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One of the things I like about working odd shifts on a mission is that you work until 0200 in the morning, then sleep until your eyes open ( nice to have no alarm clock!), and then you have a few hours to enjoy whatever you want to do during the day before going back to work! I, of course, choose to fly...

So this morning I scooted across Galveston Bay to the friendly folk's airspace in Beaumont. Always looking for company, they are quick to give you an IFR block so that you can play among the clouds in safety (and legality)....I pulled up and rolled over to top a growing cumulus inverted, and looked down (or was that up?) just as the hour meter on the EFIS screen clicked from 199.9 to 200.0 - what a moment! :D

First flight was October 9th of last year, and aside from a month in the paint shop, she's been flying steady ever since. Aside from the few minor things I have faithfully reported here along the way (nothing is perfect, everything has glitches), the Valkyrie has been always ready to roll.

Is the RV-8 the perfect airplane? Well, frankly - no....but for my purposes, I can't think of anything else that can come as close. Is it the best aerobatic machine? No - you'll never beat an unlimited Extra, Eagle, or whatever. But I wouldn't want to try and pile a passenger and 150 lbs of luggage in one of those and fly 800 miles in under five hours. It is both responsive and stable - an interesting combination which makes for a good traveling machine, and a decent IFR platform - with an autopilot.

I am certainly not a salesman, and have even had my frustrating moments with Van's on occasion. But overall, I can't think of an airplane that I would rather own. The -8 seems to embody the concept of "Total Performance" better than anything I have seen.

A couple of us were talking at the airport one night, and the topic of the "best" airplane came up. It was mentioned how we all loved the P-51, and how few American aviators would argue that it wasn't the best fighter of its war. But you know what? Other planes could out turn it. Other planes had great range. Other planes had more firepower, more ordinance-carrying capability, more armor. Other planes could fly higher....in fact, the Mustang was second best in almost everything! However, if you finish second in every major golf tournament, or ever NASCAR race in a season, you are going to be Number One!

With this bird, I have reasonable speed, excellent handling, great range, weather-handling ability - all that is important to me. It might not be perfect for anyone else....

....but hanging there in my harness as I rolled over the top of that cloud, I couldn't think of anywhere else I would rather have been! I continued the roll and dove down the back side of the cloud, then banked and yanked right through the next one....it might get better than this, but for me, I don't know how! :)

Thanks for the inspiration..

Great post, Paul.

Helps to know there's gold at the end of the 'rivet rainbow'.

Back to it!

John

Likewise inspired...

Your enthusiasm is eloquently expressed...

- Envious as I am office-bound today, driving a desk!

Almost there

And the P51 was only "half American"...it had a British engine in it!....Even then the Merlin could be argued to be second best to the FI German motor.

Oh well, nice to know that these things actually fly one day...

Frank RV7a...Wings to paint and FLY!

EX pat Brit living in Oregon.

IFR block?

Neat post Paul. Kindly explain an "IFR block". Is it some airspace in which you practise IFR without going on a trip? Can you get it almost anywhere?
Thanks, :confused:

frankh said:
And the P51 was only "half American"...it had a British engine in it!....Even then the Merlin could be argued to be second best to the FI German motor.
On what basis?

IFR Block

pierre smith said:
Neat post Paul. Kindly explain an "IFR block". Is it some airspace in which you practice IFR without going on a trip? Can you get it almost anywhere?
Thanks, :confused:

Technically, you can get an IFR block just about anywhere, but practically, you might have trouble in busy airspace. It is simply an IFR clearance that goes something like "cleared to fly all radials of the BPT VOR from 200 to 160 at a distance from 10 nmi to 25 nmi,altitudes between 2000 and 6000...." (

What it does is give you IFR separation and the legal ticket to go in and out of clouds.

However....you have to remember that it is legal for VFR operators to be in the same airspace (just not inside the clouds, or closer to them than the VFR minimums. ATC will warn you of VFR traffic, but you still need to be very vigilant!

Paul

Low Pass said:
On what basis?

Simply that all aircraft engines were carburetted up to that point but the Nazi's had FI.

There is a rumour that the BF109 could out manouver a P51 or Spit by nosing over and going -ve G. Not sure how reliable that data is though, I mean we all know that Spits and P51's were VERY aerobatic so presumably had invertable carbs. Not sure if there was a moment of hesitation where it went slightly -ve...where the FI'd 109 could gain a second or two of head start.

A 109 with a Spit on the tail was a dead duck...both outrun and out manouvered.

Frank

Brit in Oregon, but can't afford a Spitfire...

The Merlins in the Spitfire originally had a carburetor that did not like negative g. Miss Tilly Shilling, a bright boffin at Farnborough devised a simple modification that allowed negative g manoeuvres. A diaphragm across the float chambers had a calibrated hole, which became known as Miss Shilling's orifice. Later Rolls-Royce built Merlins had various different fuel delivery systems that allowed negative g.

The US built Merlins in the Mustang had a different fuel delivery system - I believe that it allowed negative g.

The Title Got Me

I thought you meant you were getting 200+ kts out of your bird. My response to the trurh was mixed. I was glad that you weren't going that much faster than me on the one hand but disappointed that there was no evidence that it is obtainable on the other.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
200 Hours...

I gave some thought to my total Hobb's meter hours. When I landed at Oshkosh last year, the Hobb's had 51.0 hours on it. This Sunday I will return to OSH and should have about 195 hours on the clock.

From OSH last year, to OSH this year, there have been plenty of things to see passing below my "Enterprise" RV-9A. I have been to Florida four times. The trip to OSH 2005 continued to Lake Superior, across the U.P. of Michgan and down through "the hand" to Ohio, then East to New Jersey. A day trip to Rhode Island from Jersey. The next day saw a ride home to Tennessee via a lunch stop in Pennsylvania. I went to Georgetown, Texas for Labor Day weekend 2005 to visit my son. I went to LOE5 tagging along with Doug Reeves and his gang of RV-pilots from Fort Worth to the Dona Ana Airport. And my most recent trip was a mix of business and pleasure when I took my RV-9A to Denver from Chattanooga and saved the company around $300 over the cost of an airline ticket and shuttle bus ride to/from the Atlanta airport. My travel time to Denver was no more than 1 hour longer than I would have spent playing the airline "hurry up and wait" game, security, etc.

I don't do aerobatics, that is why I have the RV-9A. It is a traveling machine for sure, and that is when I get the most fun out of it. The trip to Denver and back had a sampling of different VFR weather conditions. It was a good trip to learn more about flying the weather safely and finding favorable winds when they are available.

All my travels are documented on my web site: www.n2prise.org

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
Hobb's @ 189.6 hours since June 2005.

Great Planes

Hi Paul,

Couldn't agree more!!! I just turned over 100 hours on my 7 on my return flight from South Dakota. The flexibility of travel the RV provides is without equal. Seeing the country from this perspective is something few will experience. It is truly unfortunate the price of gas is going to limit flight for many. Hopefully the gas will go down or at least stabilize.

All of the building headaches, blood letting and frustration disappear after flying. They quickly become a distant memory after that first long crosscountry.

Most importantly in this endeavor is the endless list of people in the RV community that become friends. Look forward to meeting many of the faces behind the names at Oshkosh.

I'm approaching 800 hours in just under five years, and the grin hasn't stopped yet. Last night I watched the sunset from 12,500' above Minnesota. Can't be described in words that I know.

Kevin Horton said:
A diaphragm across the float chambers had a calibrated hole, which became known as Miss Shilling's orifice

Haaaaaaaaa! You owe me a new keyboard - mine's got coffee all over it!

Last edited:
You mean something like this

1005493td6.jpg

....but hanging there in my harness as I rolled over the top of that cloud, I couldn't think of anywhere else I would rather have been! I continued the roll and dove down the back side of the cloud, then banked and yanked right through the next one....it might get better than this, but for me, I don't know how! :)[/QUOTE]

I thought I would take a break from banging rivets and pick up the paint brush and try to capture Paul's story.
Its been a while so it was a nice change of pace. Hope you enjoy :)

RV 8 Fuselage

I am Not Worthy!

Paul!

That is so incredible - the beauty is in your painting, and I am honored and humbled that you used my colors and design.....I am simply speechless! :D

You captured the moment as if you were there - you clearly have an inner eye for interpretation.

I have always been amazed by what true artists can do - I am too much the engineer - my art is in precision and repeatability, and work such as your moves me to tears.

And....ah....can I get a print???

Paul

Paul Tuttle said:
I thought I would take a break from banging rivets and pick up the paint brush and try to capture Paul's story.
Its been a while so it was a nice change of pace. Hope you enjoy :)

RV 8 Fuselage
Paul that is spectacular. When I read Paul's (Dye) story I was imagining what it would be like and just dreaming. But to see it is truly a gift. Thank you very much.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. The painting still needs a fair bit of fine tuning, it is done in oils so I have to let it dry for a while before I can touch up the fine details. I'll repost the tuned up version in a month or so when it's finished.

RV 8 Fuselage

Back