What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parafield to Murray Bridge with a new Contour underwing mount

newt

Well Known Member
I built an underwing tiedown hardpoint mount for a Contour-GPS camera out of a scrap of rectangular-section steel, some 3/8" threaded rod, various nuts, and a few squirts of loctite.

I took it out for a spin on Sunday to see how it'd go.

It's in 720p. There's substantially less wing in the shot in the 1080p narrower-angle view, but the scenery on that flight was nowhere near as attractive :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzpyvpV_6rU

- mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. A very pretty part of Oz. Many moons ago I enjoyed living in Adelaide and working out of Parafield, resurrecting a C421 and bringing it across the pond. Was the Aero Services hangar once Southern Aircraft Maintenance or next door to it?

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Let us all see how you did it.

Oh yeah, right. :)

photo.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpg

The camera slides on its mounting rails into the front of the mount. There are a couple of holes used to secure it with lockwire or cable ties (you can just one in the first photo, on the top surface of the mount close to the leading edge)

At the wing end, the threaded rod goes into the tiedown hardpoint, then the wingnut is tightened to lock it all up, with some low-strength loctite to make sure it doesn't come apart. The washer that's pressed up against the wing skin has a rubber gasket to protect the paintwork.

About half an hour's work to put it together, all up.

- mark

Last edited:
Was the Aero Services hangar once Southern Aircraft Maintenance or next door to it?

I don't know what it once was, I only know what it is :)

It's the first hangar you see when you come off Kings Road. Currently home to Forsyth Aviation (a flying school) and Helistar.

- mark

Back