What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Translucent-Insulated Ring Terminals

aeropunk

I just finished watching one of EAA's Hints for Homebuilders videos on Crimping Wire Terminals, in which the instructor, Kas Osterbuhr, mentions early on that there's a difference between terminals with opaque-colored insulation vs. the "correct" translucent insulation.

We're just getting started doing anything electrical, and still learning, but I'm afraid we used a few of the opaque terminals when installing our capacitance fuel senders.

imposter-ring-terminal-500x331.png

Questions:

(1) What's the technical difference between the opaque vs. the translucent terminals?

(2) Anyone have a decent online supplier, brand names, or part numbers (Mouser, etc.) for stocking up on some spares? (Kas mentions the AMP brand?)

(3) Should we replace any opaque connectors we may have used on the fuel senders?

Thanks in advance!

I just finished watching one of EAA's Hints for Homebuilders videos on Crimping Wire Terminals, in which the instructor, Kas Osterbuhr, mentions early on that there's a difference between terminals with opaque-colored insulation vs. the "correct" translucent insulation.

We're just getting started doing anything electrical, and still learning, but I'm afraid we used a few of the opaque terminals when installing our capacitance fuel senders.

Questions:

(1) What's the technical difference between the opaque vs. the translucent terminals?

(2) Anyone have a decent online supplier, brand names, or part numbers (Mouser, etc.) for stocking up on some spares? (Kas mentions the AMP brand?)

(3) Should we replace any opaque connectors we may have used on the fuel senders?

Thanks in advance!

1. The translucent (good) ones have a metal sleeve that grips the insulation portion of the wire as well as a smaller sleeve that does the actual electrical contact with the wire.

2. Mouser has thousands of types and needs a lot of sorting out. Go to Stein for the types we need :)

http://www.steinair.com/terminals.htm

3. Probably, especially if it is easy to access now...

Last edited:
Steinair

(2) Anyone have a decent online supplier, brand names, or part numbers (Mouser, etc.) for stocking up on some spares? (Kas mentions the AMP brand?)...
Check the Steinair ad to the left of the screen, a really good supplier. They've got a kit that will set you up with everything you need.

Steinair

Gil is right on. Buy the ones from Stein, lots of them. Get a full selection. They are cheap and if you mess one up, toss it.

Difference?

The big difference is the seamless ferrule.
On the cheap version you will see the ferrule split.

Go to Stein you can't buy the wrong connectors there.
A kit would be best to get you started.

The cheap ones are not going to automatically fail especially not when they are rigidly supported and free of vibration.
As Gil pointed out, if they are easy to access replace them.

Agree, go with Stein, or B and C.

There are two things to consider in purchasing these terminals, one is wire size, and the other is stud or ring size.

I bought a hundred of each of the three common wire size groups, in #6, and #8 stud size.

Also a hundred of each of the wire size groups for the female fast on tabs.

Also, got a hundred of each male, and female D sub pins.

Got a clear plastic compartmented box at Ace hardware, and have all of the terminals organized in it.

For a few extra $$$ you can save a huge amount of time and frustration looking for the correct terminal.

And, by the way-----get good strippers and crimpers too.

Stein has them.

Now about wire..............

The big difference is the seamless ferrule.
On the cheap version you will see the ferrule split.

I think it is a bit more than the seamless ferrule. It the metal insulation grip sleeve too. Look down the end and you can see the sleeve. Compare it to a Pep Boys part...:)

This is a good illustration -

16-14-GA-8-SHORT-SPRING-SPADE-BLUE-PIDG-TERMINALS.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Another good supplier is Terminal Town. They also have very useful tie clamps and nylon versions of Adel clamps.

As for your connections with perhaps dodgy terminals: if it's convenient, cut them off and use proper terminals; if not convenient, just move on.

You will need the Ideal wire strippers and at least three types of crimpers and terminals for your build. See the Aeroelectric Connection for great advice on all of this. Don't be put off by the amateurish nature of the website, dig around on it and you'll find very good reference material.

W-o-w! Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll have to check and see if we've already Prosealed over those connectors or not. Not sure I want to de-goop that stuff, but it wouldn't be any fun if my fuel gauges stopped working one fine day either.

Sounds like SteinAir is the way to go for these AMP PIDG terminals; I've always enjoyed Stein's presentations at OSH, and it's high time I got busy giving them ALL of my money. hahaha

Thanks again.

Also can't emphasize enough the importance of having correct and high-quality crimpers. And they ain't cheap!

Back