What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grinded spar verdict is in!

Epsound

Well Known Member
Hello all,

A lot has happened since my last post. There has been a flurry of visits and consultations as to the current condition and prognosis for this historically abused kit. This kit has gotten a lot of attention spanning from a spotlighted article in the RVATOR to fierce condemnation on this website. As the fifth owner, yes that’s right the fifth, I decided to put the issue on the Vans Air Force alter (forum) for discussion and help deciding the fate of this project. If you remember, there was quite a heated, but mixed, debate and lots of input and opinions cast down; most notably concerning previous eyes-on testimonials, a grinded down spar inside a fully assembled wing and, the mystery of ‘why’ the spar was grinded down in the first place. This was caveat with countless red flags implying more issues not yet discovered. Needless to say it was a veritable nightmare of poor workmanship and safety violations. Many of you suggested the recycling bin, others didn’t fully agree but were not far from disagreeing. I think we all agreed that it needed to stop being passed on to naive buyers. Even the engineers at Vans were beginning to feel this kit was haunted, because it kept surfacing with a new owner and they were stuck rehashing its history :mad:. So I decided to let everyone know that the buck stops here (with me) on this kit. If it can’t be fixed safely I would bite the bullet and personally scrap the kit. But first, I said I wanted to get this thing physically inspected by proper eyes before I made the final decision. We left the conversation there with my promise to return with what I found.

As a result of the forum and ensuing contacts, a lot of people came and offered their support and advice: Below is a list of the eyes and hands that ‘physically’ inspected this kit. I haven’t used names because I didn’t ask for permission to put them here so you’ll just have to trust me on this.;)

Inspectors (visual/hands-on)
1 FAA Airframe inspector
1 A Colorado PE in the aerospace field who's career has been spent doing structural analysis
1 Professional RV builder and coach
4 Experienced RV builders (2 on their second kit[RV 10, 7] and 2 nearly completed first kits [RV 10, 9A]
3 Phone consults with supporting pictures with Vans engineer

My own notes:

Spar gap mystery solved....:D
As I was taking pictures to send to Vans I noticed the farthest five rivet holes for the rivets attaching the bottom skin and the center section aft bulkhead were egged out. This had allowed the lateral left edge of the bulkhead to ‘slip’ approximately a sixteenth of an inch (or more) into the spar gap thus narrowing the bottom portion. Coincidentally the area of the spar that needed to fit into this space was the area that was filed down; I am assuming this is the result of not using a spacer in the gap during assembly. I subsequently removed these five rivets and the bulkhead relaxed and the gap became proper without any effort.

Vans consultation

The engineers at Vans agreed with my findings and were agreeable that this is repairable and would safely accept a ‘new’ spar.

Inspectors notes:

No one in particular appeared to be scared straight after seeing it in person. The consolidated response is; this is an abused kit. Starting with a new kit would be less work however; this kit is not a total loss for someone who is willing to do the work. All issues were deemed fixable. A lot was also deemed cosmetic. Only one out of the 9 inspectors deemed this kit unsalvageable. I understand his opinion was based on the amount of work to be done, cost of replacing parts verses buying a new kit (false economy) and my own lack of current building knowledge and experience. Deconstruction of the critical areas was recommended. Any questionable parts—replace.

The verdict:

Following a great deal of inspecting and guidance from experienced, weathered, licensed FAA builders, designers, and inspectors I have decided this kit is salvageable. The cost to me? Time, lots of time. I have committed myself to deconstructing the critical areas and building this thing correctly. Consequentially, two of the aforementioned inspectors visited a second time and helped me develop a plan that triaged and partitioned the process for addressing, evaluating, and correcting the entire kit.

And there you have it. Thanks for your patience

Time to get busy.

Last edited:
Good for you, for getting some competent eyeballs directly on the work and listening to what they had to say.

On the other hand, you're a glutton for punishment - now go mangle some metal! :D

... The engineers at Vans were beginning to feel this kit was haunted, because it kept surfacing with a new owner and they were stuck rehashing its history :mad:. ...
As fourth owners wonder if they were thinking the same about ours.:eek:

We learned a LOT more that if we didn't have a boo boo kit.
Probably cost us 4-6 month....
The good news it that Van's parts are reasonably priced, so it didn't cost us a lot of $$$ to get everything fixed. Just time...

Good wisdom!

Evans, I'm very proud of the fact that you heed good, sound advice and commend you on taking up the challenge of de-construction/re-construction.

Since only the areas where the spar is rivetted needs de-rivetting, you might well be surprised at how quickly you'll become proficient at removing rivets...a skill you'll need fairly often.

In the end, you'll have a lot of satisfaction as being the one person who finally, successfully salvages your airplane, of 5 that tried!

Congratulations,

I applaud your efforts and wish you the best of luck.

My personal flying rv6a was a kit purchased from another builder that needed some repairs. While minor in comparison, it taught me that it is *way* easier to build it right the first time than to re-build it later. Getting the assistance of EAA tech advisors and other builders in a supportive environment was key to my success and I hope you get the same positive experience that I've had.

Good luck! and keep us posted.

Regards,

Evans,

With all available information, I'm still not convinced that salvaging this kit is the wisest decision you could make, but at least now it's an informed decision. Sounds like you now have a better idea of what you're up against, and are still willing to do whatever it takes to get it right, so I wish you success.

-Roee

I predict that you'll have a great airplane when you're finished - you already understand the key element of aircraft engineering - get data, evaluate data, act on data!!

Forget rumor, innuendo, and opinions....show me the data!

Enjoy your build.

Paul

Thanks all...

I appreciate the well wishes. This should be quite the journey.

Mike--that's a great theme title for this kit....re-juvination

Airguy--I am happy to report that the mangling and un-mangling has begun...:D

Mauilvrs--wow! you too? It's great to hear others have traveled this road and been successful. Best, and thanks. More to come.

Pierre--much appreciated. I am looking forward the to completion

jbagley--I can't put into words what I have already learned through all the people who have pitched in. I hope it continues.

roee--I feel eyes-on makes a big difference. You are welcome anytime. Come buy and spend some time looking it over if you are ever in the area. Just let me know.

Ironflight--yes data rules! I believe your prediction will come to fruition.

And to all others. Thanks for your input. It all made a difference and I feel fortunate to be a member of Vansairforce community.

Best,

Evans.

Mauilvrs--wow! you too? It's great to hear others have traveled this road and been successful. Best, and thanks. More to come.
170 hours... Flys like a dream... Getting ready for paint.

When you get to the things that are probably OK, but not certain...
Q: Should I fix this (whatever it is) ?
A: (from a very experienced builder and machinist) If at 10000 feet when you hit a bump, are you going to worry about it? ... Fix it...

I had to go back and see exactly what you started with.... Wow!

Two schools of thought. Having walked the assembly line at Cessna, I can tell you that I was flabbergasted at just how light and flimsy the main spar is on a new 172/182/206. I mean they are stacked up and hanging on a nail on the assembly line. I picked one up and it couldn't have been more than a few pounds. The spar on the RV is orders of magnitude heavier. I would think if the grinding was polished down to remove cracks/scratches and the corrosion proofed, it would probably be just fine. The final product being straight and true would be a real challenge though.

That said there isn't a snow balls chance in **** I would build my airplane with that! WOW! I seriously commend you for tackling this rebuild. I can't imagine the task you have before you. When it's done though you'll have something to be seriously proud of! Not only will you have built it, you'll have saved it from the scrap yard.... The airplane nut in me finds it kind of touching. Like people that rescue abused animals.

Last edited:
I take exception ;) to your representation of building a 'slow-build' kit as 'bad'. I deliberately avoided ordering a quick-build kit for my second (and more complex) airplane because building (quick or slow) is so good. :D

And kudos to the OP for tackling this project in so conscientious a manner.

Original thread for those interested:

Grinded spar input please

Spar.jpg

When I saw it, I felt that even with all the repair and rework, it was easier than a set of plans and a pile of sheet aluminum, but harder than a new kit.

Which means that it's an entirely achievable project. Some thinking required.

Dave

name the plane...

Lazarus...back from the dead:D

Kudos for declaring yourself the final stop for this plane!

Evans,

Best of luck in the endeavor. Odds are, you will learn more than the average builder and will become a huge asset to the VAF community. I look forward to your posts and learning from you content. I'm not a builder but with each passing month of reading successes, temporary setbacks, and recoveries, I gain insight into the process. Perhaps, one day, I will build (or rebuild) :)

Good speed in your project!

Thanks Humpty

I hope you are right.

From here on out, I will be posting the progress in the 9 forums under the title 'Project Lazarus.' Credit to jjconstant for the name.

See you there.

Back