What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A vacation

tc1234c

Well Known Member
I will wait until later to share more photos and videos with you. Here are a few to begin.

Meet up in Barnwell. Attracted some locals.
IMG_8431.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

Only with ADS-B you see a lot of traffic

IMG_3385.JPG

It was nice ride Ted. Good to have a mentor with extra electronic eyes and ears :). Did I mention connections and gated communities? :) Made it to Stuart dodging some rainy patches. Went to dinner with Turbo its a nice marina out here with beautiful boats and excellent food.Parked at Galaxy, may run early morning in Turbo 6A to Okeechobee for breakfast. Everything as planned so far.

in case anyone is wanting to meetup, it will be lunch at OBE today. v is sound asleep at RV HOTEL.

by the way, he passed on testing the water depth walking under the train tunnel.
img0244phc.jpg

Weather here is not so good
IMG_4215.JPG

A little sunshine here
IMG_4288.JPG

Check out the surf.

IMG_4338.JPG

Runway in sight
IMG_4362.JPG

Video camera mount?

Ted:

Great pictures and video. How did you mount your video camera? I see no Jello giggle at all!!

I built myself a metal mount using an angle and a plate. To stabilize the mount I added a nutplate to the wing so the mount is fastened by two wing tip screws and one slightly inboard. Here is an inflight photo:

IMG_4114.JPG

Love Abaco!

Ted,
If you have time, be sure to take the Albury ferry over to Great Guana and visit Grabbers and Nippers for adult beverages and a roaring good time!

Made a long weekend trip to Abaco last summer KZPH direct to Marsh Harbor. First flight to Abaco but been there four times previously sailing/cruising. Love the chain of islands. Hope you have time to make a flight over all the cays.

Have fun!! Take lots of photos - enjoying what you've posted.

Great to meet you Ted

Ted,

I sorry we didn't get spend any time but we took off and made it back to KROA in a little over 3 hours and the sun had just set. Spruce Creek has to my number favorite place to fly in to behind Osh. I hope to meet up with you again.

Great Video and photos.

Jeff and Linda Stubbs

Okay, you may drive.
IMG_4450.JPG

Beautiful sea

IMG_4590.JPG

Treasure Cay Resort and Marina where we stayed.
IMG_4625.JPG

The bay we did daily walk.
IMG_4675.JPG

Trying to find dolphins other boaters told us about.
IMG_4685.JPG

Last edited:
ted, looks like your passenger could use a 2 or 3 inch cushion in her seat. she will enjoy the flying more if she can see more. nice pictures.

Return home

While driving to the airport we got downpour rain. It was easy to get through Bahamian custom and immigration (they are very informal and friendly). Right at the entrance of the custom's is a blue phone with speed dial to FSS and US customs in Florida . We filed flight plan quickly (could not do it on DUATS) but had a hard time notifying Fort Pierce customs. Fort Pierce customs does not open until 10 am and we plan to depart at 9:30 am. The recorded phone message suggests that we call Miami International Airport customs to relay messages. We tried for half an hour and each time the phone was busy. Finally the Bahamian customs lady dialed Miami Opa Locka customs. I talked the agent into helping us to relay the message.

Due to the rain our departure was delayed. Since we promised several people to fly over the Resort and Marina (they don't have much entertainment) we made a circle before departing for the US. We had to climb close to the overcast sky at 2,500' before we were able to talk to Nassau Radio to open our flight plan. Even so, the transmission were poor.

We quickly climbed above the cloud and cruised at 6,500'. Fifty miles from Fort Pierce we called Miami Radio to get our transponder code for ADIZ penetration. Again it was hard to receive them. It took several tries to hear their replies. Soon we arrived at Fort Pierce and cleared US customs.

It has been a wonderful trip.

Saddled up for the flight.
IMG_5086.JPG

Rain just stopped.
IMG_5088.JPG

Say goodbye to our new friends.
IMG_5155.JPG

Get above the cloud
IMG_5188.JPG

Enroute home
IMG_5286.JPG

Report three mile final on runway 32
IMG_5448.JPG

Lunch at Tiki
IMG_5500.JPG

The rest of the photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/11112011TreasureCay?authuser=0&feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/11112011ReturnFromBahamas?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNzjw8rw06afIw&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Thank you Ted and Li Fein

Keep pounding them rivets!
Keep sanding that fiberglass!
It's worth it!

What a trip we had! I still can not believe it I flew my garage built this little metal thing all the way to the Bahamas and back. It performed without a glitch. It was very easy for me because Ted did all the planning and calculations. I just carbon copied everything. Paperwork - non event. Opening/closing flight plans - smooth. Radio calls - scratchy but understandable. Traffic and weather - informative because of Ted's ADS-B and XM. My Bear Clock was sleepy and happy.

bearclock.jpg

I will post some pictures they can not beat Ted's previous galleries but they are a bit different.

We agreed to meet somewhere in the Carolinas but on my way I decided to check out Glen's newly issued RV strip. I made lots of passes, examined the surface and even touched the runway with mains :) Totally doable for A-model. Rocked the wings, climbed and went my way.

This is how Glen's strip looks like from the air.

Glenstrip.jpg

Passed cruise ships nursery by Norfolk, VA. Why do they cluster?:)

shipsclustered.jpg

In two something hours I was approaching Bahama :D

bahamaNC.jpg

Ha. Wrong Bahama need to refresh those pilotage skills. Real Bahama doesn't have prison next door.

wrongbahama.jpg

Ended up in Chapel Hill NC instead I have friends there. KIGX Horace Williams Airport I've read some negative comments about it and was pleasantly surprised it's not true. They treated me very well. Good overnight stop.

KIGXstop.jpg

Little condensation next morning and wet canopy cover nothing to worry about.

KIGXmorning.jpg

Met Ted somewhere in the middle of the country.

meetup.jpg

Then he towed me across the marshes to a remarkable flying community - Spruce Creek. I want to retire.

militaryflys.jpg

sprucecreek.jpg

Couple hours later I was relaxing in RV Hotel in Stuart, FL. Strongly recommended. The pool with mermaids and flying fishes right behind the house. Water warm like in geisers of Iceland the only difference is reddish color. It's a must stop for those heading to the Bahamas on a budget.

Turbohotel.jpg

swimmingbyRVhotel.jpg

Nice place to watch yachts and have good eats. Beautiful bridge with tunnels inside it.

stuartbridge.jpg

Last edited:
Next day we hopped to the islands. Piece of cake if you have Ted or Rosie by your side. Piece of yesterday bagel if you don't.

hopacross.jpg

tedinformation.jpg

Settled in the rest you know from previous pages.

villa.jpg

I asked local people if I can swim right here by the mooring they said who cares. The only challenge is during low tide you have to possess monkey skills to climb those timbers because ladder has only two steps and is too high to reach.

swimmingallowed.jpg

Beach is on the other side of the resort and water was kind of bumpy there. See my new bahamian shirt?

onthebeach.jpg

There was a volunteer dog helping continental people to cross shallow water. The dog refused to bring me back and I had to learn how to cross myself.

dog2.jpg

This little creatures belong to famous insurance company I buy car policy from.

geicos.jpg

Then we flew, and eat, and swim and watched TV. I had no phone connection and no internet. Heavens.

flyby.jpg

coconuts.jpg

Back