What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Center Console / Arm Rest

Geico266

Well Known Member
I need a set of plans that have worked or some ideas for building (or buying) a center console / arm rest for the RV-10. I have seen the carbon fiber one commercially available for $800, but that is a little pricey for me. I mean I am sure it is a great piece of harware, just not what I am looking to spend.

Are there any others commercially available?

Building one cannot be all that difficult, but if you have a set of plans or can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I've built a few, and you're right, its not that hard. I actually like using plywood and cover to your preference. I can post a quadrant console pic if you'd like. It's the same thing, just further forward on the tunnel. Consider a multipiece unit for easier removal, etc.

I've built a few, and you're right, its not that hard. I actually like using plywood and cover to your preference. I can post a quadrant console pic if you'd like. It's the same thing, just further forward on the tunnel. Consider a multipiece unit for easier removal, etc.

Please post a pic. I wondered about using a wood / fonolic / fiberglass panel material instead of aluminum. It will be leather wrapped anyway.

Here is a -10 I had with a "home made" center console. Easily removeable for tunnel access. It looked and functioned great. Perfect fit. Here is the pic....

DSC00050.JPG

I would mount a docking device on the front to hold my 496 with XM.

Last edited:
Center console

Here is mine almost like the previous one with a couple of trim pieces added to the front.It will get one more piece of trim on the top.Its made of aluminum
and I don't have plans for it.
IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

I stuck it on for pics so its not quite centered.

I just built a cardboard mock up and followed with an aluminum structure.
It's not very sophisticated and to make things simple I used angles in the corners. The sides overlap the tunnel and share some of the holes that attach the tunnel lid. The hardest part was the upholstery sewing for the lid and those curved trim pieces up front. All of the aluminum was scrap except for the .063
angles. The fabric was left over from a flightline headliner.
You could probably do a better job made of fiberglass but I prefer aluminum.

Well, it took me a day to organize the shop, buy the $25 of materials, and construct a center console. It will look better covered in leather and I will post the results when it is installed.

RV-10_console__Medium_.jpg

It was seriously good fun to get back into the shop and use a rivet gun, clecos, shop tools and BandAids again. Do you know how fast a number 40 drill can go up under a finger nail? :eek:

No pulled rivets in that baby! Bucked those #3 myself!:D

Last edited:
Good. Now just install one of those nasty airliner coffee pots and you can start work on the wet bar.

My neighbor made a simple aluminum arm rest and center console. I skinned the parts for him in carbon fiber. Here's a picture of one of the parts and I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the finished product.

IMG_5451b.jpg

Experimenting

Way to go Larry, looks like you are on the way to a nicely done center console.
While you are at it with all the aforementioned amenities you might want to consider a relieve tube somewhere down the center console. :D

I like the looks of some of the consoles that extend under the instrument panel but from experience servicing my RV-8, I decided to never again obstruct easy access to important parts like fuel pump and other items in the tunnel.

Well, Abby worked her magic and turned my cobbled up creation into a beautiful arm rest / storage box/ fire extinguisher storage. What a nice piece of work! Colors match exactly even though the interior was done somewhere else 5 years ago! Seriously looks like it came with the interior kit, perfect match! Padding on top is just the right hardness for long flights, not too hard, not too soft..... just right.

Thanks Abby, Flight Line Interiors! You rock!
http://www.flightlineinteriors.com/

RV-10_Arm_Rest.jpg

Very comfy now! Maybe I can take a nap? :eek:

Final cost, materials $25, Band-aids and misc first aid supplies $3 :eek:, Flightline Interiors $145 (includes shipping both ways)
Total cost $173.

Last edited:
Back