Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZtronLabs View Post
The first is a good point, but as for the second I'm pretty sure that while flying in the dark, in clouds, it would pay to be as visible as possible. But being blinded by your own strobes is indeed a problem.
To confirm what others have said above, if one is flying day or night in clouds, it means they are on an instrument flight plan and being visible is not a high priority. Air traffic control will keep aircraft separated. Being able to turn off strobes in clouds at night is indeed necessary and is usually something that is even taught when one is getting a basic private pilot certificate because it can be very disorienting, especially when reflecting off the back of the prop. Being able to turn them off on the ground in order to avoid blinding another pilot while taxiing is also pretty important. Hope this helps. If you need to get a pilot on your staff, I'm sure there's a bunch of people on this board looking for aviation related work! Good luck with your product. If I had not wanted to fly at night, and had not already built my own, I would have jumped on them.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 08-23-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:36 PM

Bottom line, looks like a fantastic product... strobes and navs being tied together though does impart limitations for guys like me that will use my plane day/night all weather.

If need be, I'll get some small backup red/green LED's from superbrightled.com and fashion my own little taxi/IFR nav's. For the money these Ztron ones can't be beat IMO.
RV-7, SOLD
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Default Beacon Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZtronLabs View Post
Any feedback is appreciated! While we had known of the existence, we had been unaware of the popularity of the separate Nav/Strobe power lines.

It would be helpful to know what it is about separate functionality that is so important to you two, and anyone else who feels this way.

Stuart Snyder
Ztron Labs
Another idea is to allow the start up brightness to operate on another switch. We could use it like a beacon to let others know we are about to start the engine without blinding them with strobes.

Brian
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Just to reiterate what others have said: This looks like a very cool product and I would be interested if you produce a unit where the strobe can be turned off.

Just to be clear, the strobe and position lights don't have to be 100% separate. I would be fine if the position lights had to be on for the strobes to be tuned on. I don't see any reason to run strobes without the position lights. However, it is a MUST that the positions lights can be on without the strobes.

I see on your website that you also have a tail light. I assume that the tail light functions in the same manner. Like the wingtip lights, we need to have the strobe switched separately.
RV-6A #20603: Emp done,Wings done, Fuselage done, Electrical done, FWF about done, Canopy done, Fiberglass/Finishing in work. Getting very close!
PP SEL / A&P
N616CG (Reserved)
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec)
Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Thank you to everyone who has given their two cents so far. Good news!
Both our Nav/Strobe and Tail lights can have their strobe capabilities switched off now.
Instead of using a separate power line for the strobes and nav, pulling the Sync line to ground via switch will turn the strobes off, leaving the nav on. We'll be updating our site and documents shortly to reflect these changes.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Both our Nav/Strobe and Tail lights can have their strobe capabilities switched off now.
Now that is what I call quick response! How long would that have taken in the pre-internet days?

RV-7a 707DD Bot from David Domeier 12/01/11
Lycoming IO-360 Catto 3 blade Panel upgrade in progress

RV6a 18XP 1st flite 03/21/07 sold to Dale Walter 10/22/2011
Superior IO-360, Hartzell Blended, GRT/Dynon

Happily "autopaying" DR

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

Mark Twain
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Cochran View Post
Now that is what I call quick response! How long would that have taken in the pre-internet days?
I concur great response time. Great looking product, would like to hear anyones experience when they get these.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Default IFR legal

Is a set of these legal for IFR flight, my understanding is the Aeroleds are, but the wheelen experimental are not, does anyone know how these compare?
Bill Greenley
RV-10 starting the wings
Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Greenley- We're not quite sure what you mean by "legal for IFR". Our products have not been TSO'd and are for experimentals only, but we strive to meet or surpass all the applicable FAR regs.
Is there a law or regulation in particular you are thinking about?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Default Lights

I've never heard of any IFR reg on lights only night flying.

2016 dues paid under Blu Sky Dtl.

RV7