What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Pathways (highways in the sky) and other enhancements

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi folks,

Sun-N-Fun doesn't start for a couple more weeks, but I got permission to post this a little early. Today Garmin released software version 6.00 for the G3X system, which adds Garmin's "Pathways" feature - also referred to as highways in the sky - which you may have seen on the G1000 and G900X systems.

Here are a couple screenshots of Pathways in action - first, GPS enroute navigation:

garmin1.jpg

Here's what a coupled ILS approach looks like with Pathways turned on:

garmin2.jpg
This free update is available for download from the Garmin website, and also includes a few other enhancements. Not only does G3X now come standard with support for the Vertical Power VP-X and VP-200, but it now also supports an optional secondary set of fuel calibration curves that are used on the ground, for example with taildragger aircraft. I hope to be able to use this feature myself one of these days, if I can find enough time to finish my airplane!

G3X Software Update Page

G3X System Information
G3X Manuals (not quite caught up to this software version yet, stay tuned)

cheers,
mcb

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to be able to finally talk about this (beta tester). It does feel like you're cheating a bit while flying an approach - correcting for wind is a non-event. Put the flight path indicator in the middle of the square. Rinse and repeat.

A 1,580 pixels wide picture of it in use a couple days ago enroute to KSEP for lunch. I love it.

Last edited:
Very cool. I keep going back and forth between a Garmin and a AFS type display. The thing that kills it for me is the small portrait style display of the G3X. Perhaps something new at SnF?

Whew! Like Doug, I have been having to hold in the fact I've been playing with this in the hangar for awhile (Beta tester - still under construction, but I'm a dervish with demo mode....). I have been flying various "Highway" systems in development simulators for close to twenty years, and have had it in my GRT since the RV-8 was new, and boy, it sure makes life easy. like Doug said - it's really cheating.

Great job Garmin!

Paul

Nice to be able to finally talk about this (beta tester). It does feel like you're cheating a bit while flying an approach - correcting for wind is a non-event. Put the flight path indicator in the middle of the square. Rinse and repeat.

In my mind, I've replaced the word "cheating"...............with better informed, and perhaps a bit safer. Maybe a whole lot safer! I'll often encounter the word "cheating" when it comes to my radio nav (VOR) versus GPS battles on various forums. I find it interesting, that some view GPS as too easy. I say good............it should be easy...

L.Adamson

If you aint cheatin' you aint tryin!

It's a good thing I don't have the money for a panel yet or I'd be pulling my hair out.

I would rather have them run the discount again than do ANYTHING ELSE!

With the discount they are cost competitive.

Without it, I can't afford to even consider them when there are other very good alternatives out there.

Very nice, nevertheless!

My two...

:cool: CJ

Irish Green

I like the coincidence that we are introduced to Garmin's G3X GREEN boxes on St. Patrick's Day. Was it a coincidence? Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Highway in the sky

Interesting that this is almost exactly as Burt Rutan described it at Oshkosh many years ago, before anyone else even mentioned the concept. Burt also said that you could cover your windows, go VFR GPS direct at a randomly selected altitude, and your chances of a midair would be exctly the same as if you were IFR in the system. This was before TCAS.

Is this it?

Is this what Garmin said they were going to announce on the 23rd?
...or is there something else coming?

Just wondering.

[ed. No. And I don't know what it is either. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
We will have a G3X integrated with the VP-X at Sun n Fun, hangar D.

Nice pics Matt! :)

Nice looking new features. Out of sheer curiosity, now that there's VP-X and VP-200 support for the G3X, is there already such (or plans for such) for the G900x?

The VP-200 does work with the G900 in that the VP-200 uses data that is output by the G900. There is no data input from the VP-200 to the G-900 like trim or flap position, etc.

There was a question in another thread about how Pathways guidance works during an approach. Essentially, the horizontal and vertical deviation signals being received from the external certified navigation source are used to "steer" the Pathways boxes so that they always agree with the CDI needles. Hence, if you fly through the center of the box, the needles will be centered, regardless of any ambiguities in the database. Quoting from a recent press release:

When flying an ILS approach using the G3X and compatible external VHF NAV receiver, pilots will take advantage of Garmin?s patent-pending system whereby SVX uses ILS signals to position the pathways. So when pilots fly through the pathway windows on an ILS approach, they will be aligned with the precision glideslope.

The above quote only mentions ILS, but the same thing applies when flying a WAAS GPS approach (LPV, LNAV+V, etc.).

By the way, the same press release also includes information about a G3X promotion that might be of interest:

Garmin is now offering rebates of up to $3,000 on G3X single and dual screen system purchases made between March 28 and April 29, 2011. TruTrak is offering a $2,000 rebate on their GX Pilot flight control system with new purchases of G3X systems during the same time period. For details visit www.garmin.com.

mcb

"the horizontal and vertical deviation signals being received from the external certified navigation source are used to "steer" the Pathways boxes so that they always agree with the CDI needles"

Do any other manufacturers EFIS use the external certified navigation source are used to "steer" the Pathways boxes, or are they the extended runway cetreline, etc.
It seems to me to be a significant advantage to use the external sources, especially for an ILS.
John

G3X Pathways without certified GPS?

There was a question in another thread about how Pathways guidance works during an approach. Essentially, the horizontal and vertical deviation signals being received from the external certified navigation source are used to "steer" the Pathways boxes so that they always agree with the CDI needles.[/URL]:
mcb

The Grand Rapids units can "synthesize" the Pathways (HITS) for any runway. Reading the above it appears that the G3X requires a certified GPS for Pathways to be available. The new G3X pricing brings it within the budget for my new panel upgrade but I can't afford a 430 at this point. Am I right in assuming that with the G3X I will not have access to a synthesized Pathways approach for training/practice purposes?

The Grand Rapids units can "synthesize" the Pathways (HITS) for any runway. Reading the above it appears that the G3X requires a certified GPS for Pathways to be available. The new G3X pricing brings it within the budget for my new panel upgrade but I can't afford a 430 at this point. Am I right in assuming that with the G3X I will not have access to a synthesized Pathways approach for training/practice purposes?

You don't need any kind of external GPS navigator to see Pathways on the G3X PFD. When using only the internal VFR GPS and flight planning features, you can see Pathways guidance between the waypoints in your flight plan, which will be displayed whatever altitude you select. For familiarization purposes, in VFR conditions, this is roughly analogous to how you'd use Pathways on a non-precision LNAV approach if you had a TSO C129a IFR GPS navigator. The Pathways feature does not currently display the G3X's VFR VNAV vertical guidance (which is intended to help you descend from cruise altitude to a lower selected altitude) although it's possible that this could change as part of a future software enhancement.

For Pathways guidance for an IFR precision approach, you need an external TSO'd navigator to drive it, VFR or not. If you want to see Pathways guidance for an ILS approach, you need some kind of VHF NAV receiver, which can be an SL30, or the VLOC portion of a GNS 430/530 or GTN 650/750. If you want to see Pathways guidance for a precision IFR WAAS approach, you need an TSO C146 IFR WAAS GPS navigator.

I hear about "synthetic approaches" occasionally, but it's not an idea I personally subscribe to. The existence of an actual, official, charted instrument approach, properly flown and using suitable equipment, is your only guaranteed ticket to adequate terrain and obstacle clearance down to the charted MDA or decision height. If a runway doesn't have an approach or you don't have the equipment to fly it, the only glass you should be using to get there is your airplane's windshield! :)

mcb

Last edited:
Back