What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACK E04 ELT Preinstallation Kit

Noah

Well Known Member
As everybody knows, the long-awaited ACK Avionics E04 Model 406 Mhz ELT is still not available for sale. Is this impacting your project? If so, please contact ACK and request that they sell a pre-installation kit for the E04, which contains everything but the as-yet uncertified box - which would include the Remote Control Panel Indicator, Audio Alert Indicator, antenna, cabling, mounting bracket, and connectors.

This would allow you to:
1. Rivet seat bottoms / baggage floors in place
2. Finish all wiring
3. Rivet the aft turtle deck in place
4. Paint and finalize panel
etc. etc.

Keep in mind that ACK is no longer producing the 121.5 Mhz E01 so you cannot go that route in the near term I don't think. If your project is also being held up and having everything but the box (only need that to fly) would be beneficial, please consider contacting ACK to convince them that they need to market a pre-install kit and the ELT box separately, and sell the preinstall kit NOW!

Here is their contact info:

Phone: (408) 287-8021
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (408) 971-6879
Address: 440 W. Julian Street
San Jose, CA

Thanks!

Last edited:
Would anybody else benefit from a pre-install kit for the new ACK E04 406 Mhz ELT?? Am I the only one?

Several things to consider. The 121.5 MHz ACK ELT may be in stock at many places. If not, there is Ameri-King.

There is no requirement for the 406 MHz ELT in the USA. The 406 MHz ELT is far more expensive that 121.5 MHz ELT.

The ACK 01

I had to wait as it was on backorder, but ACS just shipped me the 01. I got tired of waiting for the -04 and due th the rules changing here in Canada and the prices of some, I am ok with the 01. I was not aware they arent making it anymore? Is that fact...as I just got mine shipped from the factory two weeks ago. It was cheap at ACS, let me finish my panel and move forward so I am happy and really dont care when the 406 is finally on the shelf.

Odd

That seems kind of dumb that they would stop selling a product people want, before they had a new product available to sell. So now...you are forced to go to the competition if you need it soon. What sense does that make?

Glad I got mine..It was $150, and gets me legal and I can move on, finish stuff, get inspected, get flying etc. I can then upgrade to the 406 anytime and get some of the credit back or wait a few years until mandatory and their is more competition to keep prices fair.

I would suggest calling ACS or searching online for someone with some 01's in stock and go that route. Their dates for getting the 406 to market seem to be a moving target. I am sure that is a tough game to play with cospas or whoever but, they get to make the rules if you wish to play in their sandbox.

Several things to consider. The 121.5 MHz ACK ELT may be in stock at many places. If not, there is Ameri-King.

There is no requirement for the 406 MHz ELT in the USA. The 406 MHz ELT is far more expensive that 121.5 MHz ELT.

Provided you can wait, the benefit to the E04 is price. The similarly equipped (with GPS input) P/N AK451-23 from Ameriking is $1059 compared to $579 for the ACK E04 (Spruce prices). The E04 has GPS input standard, while it is an upcharge for the Ameriking. A GPS input to your ELT takes the search out of search and rescue.

The only reason I'd put a 121.5 ELT in my plane is to be legal, I would not trust it to do anything useful in a crash since the frequency is unmonitored.

But the point of this thread is not to debate ELT technology, it is to ask people who are planning an E04 install to convince ACK to sell a pre-install kit to keep our projects moving!

Just for the record;

The only reason I'd put a 121.5 ELT in my plane is to be legal, I would not trust it to do anything useful in a crash since the frequency is unmonitored.

121.5 ELTs are NOT "unmonitored". Even though 121.5 is not monitored by satellites, It is monitored by military, scheduled airlines, and much of general aviation.

I queried ACK about a pre-installation kit months ago and received no answer. In fact, I've received no answer to any email I've sent them. Only the fact that my -01 works so well and has not needed any support from them has kept me from pulling my pre-order from ACS; I am hoping that the same will be true of the new ELT. But, not wanting to hijack the thread to rant about their lack of response to their customer base, I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one with this idea. Fortunately (?) I got stalled on my -10 build so that it has not been an issue but if I had been building as originally planned I'd be past the point where I need to install my wiring and the mounting point by now ... which might well mean I went with a more expensive, but available, unit. The only reason I can think that ACK has not made a pre-install kit available, despite making pre-ordering available, is if they fear there's a risk that some mandated change brought about by the approval testing might affect the installation components. Anyway, as far as this customer is concerned, they have until next Spring before I have to abandon them and go with an available unit.

Noah, my post underlies why more people may not be concerned like you are. If you are really insistent on getting the mounting stuff, buy a 121.5 MHz unit and update in a few years.

Ron, that's a good idea, except that the E01 and the E04 are different units, and are not exactly compatible. The antennas are different, and have a different mount interface. Also, the E04 requires an additional audio alert indicator box behind the panel which you don't get if you buy an E01. Wasting money buying an E01 when I'm just going to throw it away in a couple of months makes a lot less sense than getting the actual hardware I need minus the ELT box itself, which is the only thing they can't ship yet since they're awaiting approval.

Pre-wire

Noah,

AC Spruce sells the wire shielded required. The patch cord between the ELT and the controller is apparently the same as the 01 so this should be easily obtained. This will get you through the wiring phase. Just leave room for the audio alert module behind the panel and completion should'nt be more than a minor inconvenience. You did make the panel accessible for future upgrades and maintenance? ;)

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to finish and close up after wiring.

Bevan
RV7A wiring now

got some parts....

I too am waiting for the -04. I was able to get the cable and the mounting tray several months ago from ACK via Aerotronics. That allowed me to do everything except mount the control head and the box. So far I am trying to be patient before I try another route. Looking at Kannad with the built in GPS as an alternative.

Losing patience.

Gordon

N144GP

shameless thread hijack

Or just order a complete Kannad 406 kit from us for $950, including the antenna. (Click on the Kannad advertisement here on VAF or in my signature).

Can the Kannad interface with a panel mount GPS? This is one of the things that makes the ACK really nice.

If so, I think I might be willing to pay the extra money for the kannad, the hardware is certainly nicer.

schu

I called ACK earlier today and verified that the E-01 is not being produced.

The person I talked to also said that you could get the parts you need by calling ACK.

ACK doesn't seem to do email, but they will answer the phone.

And yes, they'll now sell you the collection of parts besides the ELT itself (the "preinstall kit"), but then when you buy the ELT you buy it all again and throw it all away since they won't sell the E04 without the other stuff, which is what makes sense from a builder's perspective. Something about the difficulty involved in making new part numbers, and the fact that they're now "so close to certification" :rolleyes:...

Hope they're right, but we've certainly heard that before :rolleyes:.

406 Retrofit kit

The new E-04 ELT is a direct replacement for the 62,000 model E-01 ELT's we have produced. The new E-04 fits directly into our currrent E-01 mounting trays, and uses the same remote control panel indicator. The E-04 external antenna will utilize your current antenna mounting, and wiring installations.

Retrofit Kit: transmitter, lithium battery pack, external antenna, plug in audible alert, install manual. MSRP $560.00

Ron, I'm not trying to retrofit. I have a new installation, so basically I want to get the tray, antenna, and cabling now. I won't be retrofitting the E-01 in my -6A because the new antenna is NOT a direct retrofit; it won't go where the E-01 whip currently is located. Don't get me wrong; I like my ACK E-01, which is why I'm going with the E-04 for my -10, but I find ACK fairly unresponsive to customers by not returning emails or addressing either the retrofit or pre-install issues. I'm not knocking ACK for delays caused by an out-of-control process that they are subject to but it seems to me that some of the time waiting could have been better spent.

Think about it. They sell through distributors using "sealed package" kits. They're set up to offer a full kit and a retrofit kit for -01 owners. Distributors will place orders, buy, and stock those kits.

What you're asking would require two additional kits, a "pre-install" and a unit stripped of all the pre-install items. The distributors would have to stock those additional packages or extend delivery time via drop ship.

Of course the next demand would be a "retrofit pre-install" kit (antenna, buzzer, etc). Where do you stop?

Assume a worst case....they never get through certification. What should be done about all the folks who bought pre-install kits of whatever flavor, including the kits the distributors bought? We're quick to condemn anybody suspected of vaporware, so they would have to buy it all back or sink the company.

Be patient. The only PITA to install later is the cable. Go buy a telephone cord and run it under the floor.

Actually, Dan, there are currently NO kits at any distributor. They only need to service current pre-orders with a split kit and then deliver the remainder when (I've got faith, they WILL get through the red tape) available. At that time, they can drop the split kit and only sell the full kit to new customers and 'retrofit' kits to those who can use the new antenna. As for E-01 pre-install kits, that's not an issue since the E-01 is discontinued. But I buy your worst-case scenario, so I haven't complained too much or gone with a competitor. As for patience, I've been waiting over a year and not quitting yet.

However, you are completely wrong about the PITA factor of a later install. The cable is nothing, but it'll be a real chore to install the tray and antenna after the tail cone is closed. I'm not what you'd call 'petite';), so getting back there with all the other equipment already in place will be extremely difficult; especially compared to installing before I close.

Back