- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
fugio ergo sum

Default ?

Pete good work.

OK, you are a pilot, so you had to ask the question too. Does the dog's name have anything to do with the illustrious aviator? I'm guessing the dog is a little too old and that if you did ask, you didn't get the answer. Still, it is an unusual name?

RV-6 N441LP Flying
http://n5lp.net
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Default WOW again

Pete,

WOW! I can't wait untill my 9 is done so I too can do some good things for Pups.

Great Job & Great Inspiration.

Thanks Pete
http://www.greggswartley.com
Wings (Done for now),
Working on the Finish Kit
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Default Sully and Pilots and Paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5lp View Post
Pete good work.

OK, you are a pilot, so you had to ask the question too. Does the dog's name have anything to do with the illustrious aviator? I'm guessing the dog is a little too old and that if you did ask, you didn't get the answer. Still, it is an unusual name?
Larry I did ask.......

I just got this in my email:

NTRODUCING SULLY, THE 200TH DOG RESCUED IN 2009 BY MN BOXER RESCUE
Sully, a starved and abused 2 year old boxer boy, arrived in rescue today

December 29, 2009 -- Woodbury, MN -- Minnesota Boxer Rescue (www.mnboxerrescue.org), a 501C3 non-profit animal rescue organization focusing on the boxer breed, is pleased to announce their 200th rescued dog this year. Sully, a two year old male fawn boxer, was surrendered last week to a pet day care center, so frail and sick from being starved and abused for who knows how long, that he couldn't even walk. He received emergency care until he was strong enough to enter our rescue and arrive at his new foster home.

Arriving at a local twin cities airport with "Pilot Pete" from Pilots 'n Paws around 3:15pm on Tuesday, December 29, 2009, Sully, named by our volunteers, was met with hugs and kisses from Valerie Current, Minnesota Boxer Rescue’s president, and Stephanie Hansen, Sully's new foster mom. Pilots 'n Paws (www.pilotsnpaws.org) is a non-profit organization bringing together pilots willing to donate their time and personal aircraft, and animal rescues like Minnesota Boxer Rescue. The organization transports animals to their new homes, and have been a great help in making a difference in an animals life.

"Sully is extra special to us here at Minnesota Boxer Rescue for many reasons", stated Valerie Current, president of the rescue. "His name represents the heroic efforts of Capt. C.B. Sullenberger (aka "Sully") when he landed the plane in the Hudson River earlier this year, saving many lives. While our Sully hasn't been that kind of hero, his story -- one of abuse -- has had an affect on everyone who has met him. Even after being abused and starved, he was willing to forgive and trust his new caregivers with wags of his tail and kisses. Who else besides an animal could have that much love and forgiveness inside them?"

Sully's starvation and mistreatment came at the hand of an abusive husband, getting back at his wife for taking the children and leaving. While we don't know the details, we do know that Sully is now in great hands. Stephanie Hansen, Sully's foster mom, plans on nursing him back to health and showering him with love: "For the past couple of days Sully has been on a diet of boiled chicken. That is all his stomach will allow, having been without food for so long. We plan on feeding him many small meals and then adding rice as he can handle it. When I first met him I wanted to cry at his condition. But he wouldn't allow me to, showering my face with kisses instead. He needs to gain at least 25 pounds before he is at a weight that is healthy for him. We will definitely take good care of him now."

If you are interested in adopting a boxer from rescue, please visit www.mnboxerrescue.org for more details. Sully won't be available for adoption for many months, but there are so many others out there that need a loving home, too.

About Minnesota Boxer Rescue: Minnesota Boxer Rescue was established in 2006 and has grown by leaps and bounds since its humble beginnings. We are proud to announce the rescue of 200 boxers this year! The main goal of our organization is an all-volunteer effort to rescue, rehabilitate, and re-home unwanted and abandoned Boxer dogs. When boxers are in need, Minnesota Boxer Rescue’s dedicated volunteers respond. Our mission includes hands-on rescue, as well as education. Many of our beautiful boxers have had a very “ruff” start, for various reasons. We have dedicated ourselves to helping as many of these dogs as we possibly can.

About The Boxer Breed: The Boxer's most notable characteristic is their desire for human affection. Their spirited attitude, square jaw, and cleanly muscled body suggest the well-conditioned middleweight athlete of dogdom. The Boxer is happiest when they are with people...especially children!

Their short smooth coat, handsome chiseled head, and striking silhouette never fail to excite comments from passersby as they trot jauntily by your side with neck arched and tail held erect. Yet the Boxers' greatest wish is to be with children, watching protectively over their play. They are truly a "dog for all seasons," suiting the need for household guardian, attractive companion, children's playmate, and loyal friend.

Boxers are the #3 breed in Minnesota for 2009.

For further information contact:
Rebecca Hauptman, marketing and public relations volunteer, MN Boxer Rescue
510-501-0247
rhauptman@hotmail.com
or
Karen Niznik, Intake Coordinator, MN Boxer Rescue
763-221-5880
nizniqueboxers@yahoo.com

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1300+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 PM

Keep it up Pete! I'm looking to fly my third dog before the work grind starts anew.

Dogs make great passengers!
Warner Robins, GA
A&P
APRS KJ4EFS
Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 AM

I place my vote: Pete Howell, RV'r of the Year.

Good Job, Sir

Brian, N155BK
SARL #155
Old 12-30-2009, 05:29 AM

Had to show my wife the pictures as well. .. She called the dogs in to see so they'd be grateful for what they have. You're doing a great thing Pete.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 AM

Default Pete....

.....I just know there are a few more stars accumulating in your crown.

Thanks much,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 AM

Thanks Pete.

I too call my wife in to see your posts. When our RV is done we hope to get involved.
RV-10 (Starting Empennage )
N411BE Reserved
Build Log
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 AM

Mary and I signed up for PilotsnPaws a few weeks ago after reading Pete's write ups. We are eagerly awaiting our first trip. Thanks Pete!

Happy New Year to all.
VAF Paid 1/1/2014

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the world my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 AM

Default Great Work

Pete, thanks so much for the work you do and these stories. I'm now looking into the program to see if I can help. My work schedule gives me lots of extra time that could hopefully benefit such a program.

I must admit the Sully story was difficult to read and see the pictures. I teared up looking at that beautiful defenseless dog. Just 5 minutes with the guy who did this

This appears to be the most dire case you've posted. Can you update with Sully's condition in the future?

Thanks again for your hard work and posting the stories.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver