VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Default Piece of Grass

Bob's Piece of Grass was an experience well beyond my expectations. My 5 y.o. camera battery was depleted before the event and my trip to a Canon booth looked like in that perfect commercial, "hi, excuse me, nikon here, could you please charge my battery" the cannonites smiled and offered to switch. I decided to go without camera, had my 12$ BBD at BC (Big Buffet Dinner at Blackhawk Commons), joined Mario and we headed to the 12th Street between Elm and Lindberg Ave of Camp City.

Bob's page about the event happened here http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebcollinsrv7a/eaa/
VAF Emperor and VAF police, Tim, Chad, Bill, Captn, Darwin, the other Bill, Bill the Third, 22C people, NASA guys, too many to list were present. As somebody mentioned, "now it's more than just nicknames on the web". The VAF police guys didn't update their avatars since high school. Brad, Joe please get rid of the clo(w)nes off your virtual id and put your real smiley faces. That bottle of scotch Glenn owned to Jeff before they emptied what Jeff owned to Glenn was really good. Likely it was a barrel, not the bottle because they handed me large slightly used TacoBell cup of scotch to taste... it was well aged...

The Coordinator of Nothing had to coordinate Everything. He drove RVators in his car to different locations on the grounds and beyond, greeted everybody and didn't forget to trigger his camera. Served fruits in between. Communicated with everybody on the run. He even maintained Lost and Found Bureau. From the bottom of my heart Bob Thank You.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM

At Bob's Blue Grass Bill Whiteman and I agreed to meet next day near a foreign exhibitor tent to phish some kitplane info from for my future patents. The BushHog kitplane quickly became our point of interest because it was simple as Pietenpol, performed as 777 and pop-riveted as RV-12.

Introduction was short and basically unnecessary because I knew the exhibitor's interpreter and test pilot. Bill quickly found common language with their chief engineer. The Chief didn't speak English and Bill's Russian was mostly jesticular but believe me they communicated very effectively and a lot.

I could barely get the subject, my nasa and boeing dialects are still rudimentary. But, I picked up and now posess their raw drawings they tossed out. Will sell back to them later.

While they were "talking" I shot couple pictures. Do you see that guy at the back? Looks like a test pilot and RV-8 builder? He is also a stenographist and is quickly typing the conversation for his headquarters located somewhere in Atlanta. Probably here www.wig.su

The talk lasted too long for me, I got bored, distracted and then carried away by that young blonde interpreter. They probably have taken Bill as a brain-to-drain-prisoner I haven't seen him ever since. If you managed to escape Bill give me a yell. We didn't finish that AWACS-Fencer radars conversation we started at Bob's Piece of Grass. And there are more fresh exhibitors coming next year to phish.

Finally I met a gentleman I was looking for for about two years. He flies his RV-9A frequently, far and a lot. He has RV-10 under construction too. At least two times he was in my heck of the woods, last time I aprsed him all the way to New York and could not meet him because of my unpredictable junior-union-member-work-schedule. This time I got him by tracing his beacons via GoogleMap and combed The Sea (of RVs) to locate his ship. N103LF is absolutely unique machine. Why? Because she is built exactly by the plans. Everything in the airframe is as Vans designed it, by the book. She is a budget aircraft avionics aside.

Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen - N103LF

and Professor himself

Let's open that canopy

I had a bunch of questions for the experienced educator but I forgot to write down most of the answers so I will try again next year. Those students... you know...always fail somewhere...
Anyhow I asked Ted why he chose dark paint color for the belly. Short answer was - oil. What is in this cabled candybox? APRS. Cool.

Our talk extended a bit beoynd A&P but it was too early a subject. At least for me. Ted's trip to Oshkosh with fascinating pictures is documented here in his album http://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/...koshAndStPaul# Looking forward to see you Ted in our area soon.

Coming next; RV-9A gathering, banquets and more... the show hasn't started yet

Last edited by Vlad : 08-14-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyspassky View Post
Joe Schneider and his wife Carey chose the best corner to park their RV. It's nice and quiet and plenty of room during rush hour. An exit is close and Nature Center is just couple yards away after banquet one can crawl short distance to the cave I mean tent. Smart move Joe. I recognized them seeing the Caveman logo on the bottom of the cowling. We spent some time talking, Joe showed me the cockpit and answered some important questions. He has some unique anchors in his baggage compartment I would like to install. I asked him to email me the manufacturer.
Joe is so lucky to have Carey on board that young lady is a true motivator and riveter.
Joe's trip to Oshkosh is documented here http://picasaweb.google.com/JJSchneiders
Your visit and meeting other RV'ers was one of the highlights of our trip, Vlad. Our trip to Osh was delayed by family priorities and I think the parking spot we got was the very last one available in HBC at the time. It turned out fine and it did make for a short walk to the Van's Banquet, (where I won a T-shirt ). I really appreciated the ground crew finding us a spot. They had to work hard at it!

I can tell by the questions you asked that you are putting a lot of thought into your machine and I can't wait to see it when you get it finished.

You are correct about my wife. I'm the luckiest guy in the world to have someone like her to share my passion with. She told me last night that she hates driving anymore. The RV has spoiled her.
VAF Dues reminder Aug. 2017
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM

Talking

Hi Vlad,

thanks so much for the report. Since I didn't make too many photos myself and the Oshkosh week is a bit like a blur in retrorespect I was wondering where that continous grin on my face comes from.

Man what a great week!!

Mario
Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Vlad,

You are not only funny but also too kind with words.

Ted
Ted Chang, VAF #681
RV-9A #91048, flying since 8/2006. 2,023 hrs.

2017 Due paid
Old 08-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Default RV-9 gathering

RV-9 get together was a brilliant idea presented by Dean Eiland of Independent Republic of Texas. The endeavor was extensively debated and after a bit of discussion the time was set. 15 minutes before Vans banquet sharp.

A group of aerobatics pilot were sitting quietly by our humming crowd. They were a bit jealous looking how well organized our cohort was. They took revenge next day with 37 ships

The main focus of our gathering was zeroed in on luminary Smitty who is a talented engineer, gifted artist and articulate speaker.

He works too. You know for whom.His website is so detailed and spruced with tips, tricks and jokes, a newbie builder can easy build aircraft just looking at his site, not Vans manual. I am patiently waiting for Smitty's postings how to wire de thing.

That's good to be Smitty. The river of beer is flowing to him nonstop.
Van is monitoring situation closely. Irish dialect is spoken.

French representatives are here. What a life to be Smitty!

Celebrities Scott and Tanya Card were in the center of the show as well. I was my pleasure to introduce myself to them. Perfect RV Couple! Tanya even had a deciphered title printed on her non Stein T-shirt. Was nice to meet you guys.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Daniel and Phillippe are our bougeois alaparlafrancoi. Phillippe was so mobile at the gathering I could see only his checkered shirt on all my pictures. Good thing is he has a webcam in his shop in Canada http://www.llavalle.ca/images/webcam.jpg and every RV-9 builder in the world can watch him live and advise him how to sniff proseal to determine it was mixed correctly.

Daniel Mouly is building RV-9 in France. His VAF callsign is Flying Archer. Not that he aviates Pipers but he shoots real arrows using a complex olympic bow. Always on the target. He teaches this skill too. He confessed that he cannot develop those thousands psi at the tight as before but still going strong. I would like to have such an instructor. Daniel Mouly

RV-9 gathering was gradually transforming into Vans banquet at the Nature Center Pavilion. More and more RV celebrities started to show up.

Here I met Val and Mikey's drivers Paul Dye and Louise Hose.

Paul is a prolific writer and our NASA guy, has built and flies RV-8 named "Valkyrie" after a goddess-warrior related to his ancestral land. A Top Gun actor had a role in similar film last year. Paul works with the Agency Dept directly responsible for Space Shuttle operation. His payroll position is not easy to explain to ordinary people. He visits Baikonur often and communicates with Russian cosmonauts. His wife Louise owns the only "talking" RV named "Mikey"and they all live together somewhere in deep south in an airpark hangar. Little RV-3 will be born soon in the same house.

Last edited by Vlad : 08-15-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Vans Banquet

Vans Banquet was smooth logical extension of RV-9 gathering. All of us already had topped our tanks with beer and it was time for good food and raffles.

I am a first timer on event like this and I didn't expect much except food. Boy was I wrong. My beered and aled brain was still able to send signals to press shutter button on my camera but my memory didn't develop enough processing power so I am trying my best here to recover the chronology and content.

An anouncement came from EAA government officials that this year totally different kind of media journalist will be awarded prestigious Bax Seat Prize.

Doug Reeves of Vans Airforce electronic medium, airplane builder himself and dedicated writer was chosen for the Award.

We all proud of you Doug!

Doug speech was brief and on the point as usual.
Short phrases related to the Recipient I remember

Thank You All,
I am floored,
It's all you I am just Copy and Paste Meat Servo,
I am not worthy
I do not deserve
"Not worthy" said one more time, "I do not deserve" two times.

Good speech Doug (applauds)

Old 08-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Then Van announced next guest and speaker - Terry Lutz.

Terry is RV-8 builder and owner, a former AirForce test pilot, airline pilot and he currently works for Airbus testing new A380.

Terry told us lots of interesting facts. This A380 is an amazing aircraft. Quieter than predecessors and absolute pleasure to fly. He told us where he landed the bird and how interesting those journeys were.

Then Terry presented a A380 model to Van who immediately turned to his chief engineer and requested concept analysis to produce the kit. The joke triggered a good laugh.

It was excellent show well organized, friendly and worth attending. I strongly recommend to attend it next year. You will be entertained, taste good food and get some freebies lotteried from you banquet ticket numbers.

there will be a bit more...

Last edited by Vlad : 08-16-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM

Some time was spent by the vendors. I planned to order my interior this time but my preferred vendor didn't show up and I had to haul all that money back home. Will order by telephone. Soon.

I stopped by several booths.

A T-shirt company.

They also sell nice glass and build panels. These two Moscovites were not paying attention to excellent free T-shirts, they were talking numbers to Stein pointing to a sophisticated gadgetry at the front. They will buy it even if they do not need it right now. They can afford.

Couple of rows down there was this funny talking robot.

Kids and adults loved him and stayed for long time. One little thing they should do better is to hide this UAV pilot who was in charge of the robot in the next isle.

Outside was lots of fun too. At first there was an impression that Tundra dream aircraft was reloading the passengers into a Caribou. The green wingtips and spinner matched kids' t-shirts.

I didn't notice what avionics company logo was on those t-shirts. When I came closer the kids were exiting the Caribou at the front. Fun.

Very touching feeling one experiences seeing a group of pilots like this one. There are a 101 years young pilot, a grandson of one famous president, a prince devoted his life to charity, and an enabled pilot. If somebody can comment on the event please do so.

The Mission Cardinal was sitting by Fly4Life Exhibition but I could not locate the pilot.

Several times I was passing the area and William was not there. Maybe he was searching for new T-shirt companies or went back to Pennsylvania to work on his RV-10. Will catch him next year.

Last edited by Vlad : 08-16-2009 at 05:24 PM.