What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Patricks Story

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
I wrote this about 6-7 years ago. I recently came across it and thought it might be eye opening. As you'll see, it was for me. The story involves my Cessna 152 as I hadn't heard of a Vans aircraft at that time.

This story was written about an unexpected blessing that came my way in the form of a little boy named Patrick. I wish it wasn't true but sadly, it is.

Patricks Story

The winds were 15 knots on a day I wanted it to be calm. At least it was straight down runway 36 at my home field of Foley, Alabama. I was at the field early this Sunday to "test the waters". As I pulled Cessna N757GX from the hanger, I explained todays mission to her. If there was minimal turbulance this afternoon we were to fly a young boy on his first plane ride. Like any pilot, I love taking first time fliers up giving them something they'll remember the rest of their lives. The skys were blue but ohh that wind. A quick flight around the pattern calmed my fears. Above 750 feet, I might as well have been sitting on the sofa at home. Smooth and clear! I had prayed about this day. Thanks Lord.

We learned of Patrick through friends from our church. Seems Patrick is as bright and ambitious as any 7 yr old but he's special. For reasons we'll never understand, Patrick was one of the young people stricken with a form of cancer which was likely to take him from his family and friends sooner than anyone wanted to think. He had been delt a rough hand but was making the most of it. His Mom said the last few days had been especially good for him.

We met Patrick and his family at the church around 11. After a brief chit chat, it was apparent he was ready to get to the field and around airplanes. His mother explained flying as one of his passions. Everything from MS FlightSimulater to trying to build airplanes with a lawn mower engine. I could see the fire in his eyes and it went straight to his soul. This was a line captain or fighter pilot in the making if I ever saw one. They followed us to the airport. My wife and I talked. I glanced at my son in the rear view. My heart cried. I want this day to be perfect for Patrick.

I had given 7GX a through preflight earlier but with Patrick at my side we did another walk around as I explained this and that to him. He took it all in with a smile that melts hearts. We climbed aboard, belted up and started the engine. As we sat there a moment allowing the engine time to warm up, I looked out at his mother. Her eyes said it all, "Please be careful". I told Patrick to give them the thumbs up as we taxied to the runway. As always, I explained everything I did and why. His delight with this information was apparent on his face. The gentle nod of his head as if saying "Neat". I ask if he had any questions before we took off, "Nope" was the only sound in my headset. Such sweet innocence.

Lined up with full throttle applied I scanned the instruments one last time to assure this was his perfect day. At 60 knots we rotated and 7GX left the planet. Like a trustworthy old horse she carried us up. As we rose above the trees I stole a glance at his face. That instant in time is forever frozen in my mind. I've never witnessed such joy and happiness. Like a hundred Christmases at once, the excitement on his face spoke for him. I muttered a quick "you ok" as we climbed to smoother air. His only response, "Yep." That sweet tender voice in my headset. Thanks again Lord. At 1500 feet we headed east to overfly his home in Lillian. I pointed out a few things as we flew along each acknowledged with a nod. The grin hadn't changed. Before long we made a gentle right bank to keep the best view on his side. Not speaking a word he pointed to a couple things as if to point them out to himself. Lillian wasn't that far away and we were moving along at better than a hundred miles an hour. Too quick. I headed southwest now so he could see the Gulf of Mexico from the air. When due south of Foley we headed home. We overflew the field entering the pattern for runway 36. Down through the bumps to a smooth touchdown, thanks again Lord. We taxied up and shut down. His Mom approached giving him a big "I'm so proud of you hug". She was so happy for him, I was too!

Time goes so quickly. I had intended to connect with him again for another flight. I answered the phone at 10 pm that night. Shannon, our friend who set this whole thing up, gave me the news. Patrick had lost his fight with cancer. I hung up and cried. He was only 9. Why Lord. At the funeral home we walked up to see him. There, off to the left, among a dozen other pictures was one taken on a cold and windy day 2 years ago. Me and Patrick standing beside 7GX. His parents told me that plane ride was the high point of his life. I'm humbled. The next day at the service we had taken a seat in the back to be out of the way. A chapel full of people. There's plenty of tissues here today. The preacher spoke of his short life, his likes and dislikes before coming to a part about a plane ride being a dream come true. With gorrilla size tears in my eyes my wife handed me another kleenex. This experience had touched his life more than I could have imagined. I wanted to give Patrick something to remember the rest of his life, turns out he gave me something I'll remember the rest of mine. Now, I'm sure, he's probably the commander of a whole squarden of Angels. Maybe someday I'll fly with him again. Patrick, it was a pleasure flying with you.

Paul Gray
Foley, Alabama

Do share this dream of flight

Paul - - wow - - thanks.

We often take for granted what is indeed a dream of a lifetime for many. I will always remember my first light airplane ride. I was growing up in a town of 800 people in rural Minnesota. The town has a very nice grass strip, and (at that time in the early '70's) had about two old galvanized, corrugated metal hangars. The airport was named for a businessman named Frank Stuart, who was instrumental in negotiating what was probably a nightmare of paperwork to get basic funding for it. Anyway, I was flying a model airplane at the airport when he drove up and asked me if I wanted a ride in his Cherokee 140. Huh, you kidding?!? That was probably the whole reason I rode my bike out to the airport so often. Anyway, I remember that ride vividly, which was probably about 36 years ago.

I like to think that I've repaid that debt through rides I've given. I will truthfully say that I get more enjoyment from giving rides to kids than anything I do with the plane. I do feel like I've been in a bit of a selfish mode the last couple years though, and your post Paul has reminded me of what is truly important to me. Time to spool up the rides again. I was at something like 150 to 200 unique individual passengers at last count.

My eyes are finally dry again...

Very Nice

What a difference a flight makes. Very moving story that brought tears to my eyes. I have a very similar story from my days in police work I'll relate at a different time.

Great work. You obviously brought joy into the heart of child who was suffering greatly. That short time may have added much more time to his way to short life.

Thanks for sharing.

WOW!

What a story. Sometimes you never know how you will influence someones life. I have met a lot of generous aviators and I can't wait for the day when I can return the favor.
Way to go Paul. Patrick had no idea how much his story would influence all of us. Thanks for the story.

Much work to be done...

There was a song from the late '70s that ended with "...big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry..."

Well, that song was wrong. Paul, thank you for sharing your story.

As I approach the time to make a change in my life, I have been planning on a way to bring such joy to not only terminally ill children, but all children. Remember when we were young and would look to the heavens for that wonderment of that shiny machine in the sky? Where are all the children lining the fences of the airports today? WE...collectively, must find a way to inspire those dreams in chilren of today...pilots of tomorrow.

Back