What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My APRS wingtip setup

kcameron

Well Known Member
Just in case others are searching for ideas on how to set up APRS:

I just finished mounting my Byonics MicroTrak and GPS3 into my right wing tip. I made up a couple of brackets from .025 aluminum and stuck the j-pole antenna into the outer corner with RTV. I added a switching mini phone jack to communicate with the MicroTrak and another to monitor the GPS output.

00001_lores.jpg

00002_lores.jpg

00003_lores.jpg

00005_lores.jpg

00009_lores.jpg

Antenna

I would like to see a photo of how you "...stuck the j-pole antenna into the outer corner with RTV." Do you have a photo of that?
Don

I don't know man, are you sure that metal bracket is going to be able to handle all the stress of that 6/10 of an ounce GPS receiver? Just kidding, good install! The last I checked, we had about 35 Micro-Trak 300's on the shelf, and when they are gone, its unlikely I will build any more. no sales pressure guys, but if you want one of the MT-300 units, get one while you still can. The MT-8000 FA will replace it when its gone.

Allen
VHS

I don't recall if this has been discussed. I have a VOR antenna in the left wingtip and a TRIO autopilot servo in the right wingtip area. Will the output of an APRS at 1-2 watts impact either of these?

Does a horizontally mounted antenna negatively affect the output?

The horizontal antenna will radiate the same power as a vertical antenna. A vertical would still be preferable because:

1) Polarization. Since most ground stations are using vertical antennas less power is transferred to the receiver: about 3db IIRC.
2) Directionality. The horizontal antenna in the wingtip will output power most effectively to the side. Stations in front and back of the plane will receive lots less power. Maybe not such a big deal since the plane is moving and a station in front will soon be below or to the side.

It's all kind of moot, though. I don't know of any good way to mount a 4 foot vertical antenna on an RV so we take what we can get.

Kev

Back