What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modifications for the Disabled.

JonJay

Well Known Member
I am on a research mission. A very good friend and member of our Airpark community suffered an unfortunate Motocross accident a few weeks ago and has lost the use of his legs.
His accomplishements in flying started at a very young age, working the line at a local FBO, and led him to an advanced position as a Pilot and CFII for Southwest Airlines. I believe he has amassed over 20,000 flight hours. He is in his early 40's and has a beautiful young family that would also count towards his outstanding accomplishments.
In addition to flying his Supercub and C180, he is also building an RV8. Although his short term rehabilitation will be focused on getting out of the hospital and back on a the road to a changed, but normal life with his family, I would hope he will want to continue to build and fly.
While it is not hopefull that he will ever regain use of his legs, it is very likely that he will make a full recovery above the waist. I have searched the archives and found some very good sources of information. I would like to continue to research modifications, contacts with other disabled flying pilots, and anything that will help motivate him to keep on flying and enjoying his lifelong endevour.
He is a great man and this is a great community so I know I have come to the right place to start pulling things together for my friend. Thank you.

There was a thread just recently about this, should be of some help.

I believe Pierre started it.

Found it.

Last edited:
Carl Haye built an RV-6 in the Portland OR area in the early 90's that he flew (probably still flys) with hand controls. He had a twist grip throttle on the stick and combination rudder break levers for his other hand.

A photo can be seen here
http://www.matronics.com/ftp/Scans/RV/896pnl1.jpg

I couldn't find anything else about the airplane on line ...I think he used to be
a member of EAA chapter 105. Someone there may no how to contact him.

Jon:

I am working on the same project for the same for Jim as you are. I have talked to Carl Hay and plan on looking at his plane soon. I have given Jim some pictures of Carl's plane. Give me a call, maybe we can work on this together. It would be interesting to see what other people on this site have to add.

Tim James 503 201 8623

Back in the mid-1970s, one of my students was paralyzed from his waist down. We rigged up a PA-28-140 with the hand-operated rudder control. That worked OK, but took a fair amount of thinking/coordination/planning to use properly. The biggest problem was that he had no ability (i.e., muscle control) to keep his torso from falling forward into the control wheel when he pulled back on the wheel to flare or reached over to apply the hand brake, etc. Back in those early days, full shoulder harnesses were not readily available and the cross-over harness was worthless in this or any other application for that matter. The message here is to provide a fixed shoulder harness (and not an inertial set-up) to restrain the upper torso. It can't be TOO fixed or the pilot may not be able to reach across his body and activate the hand brake with his left hand while using the rudder bar device with his right hand. Good luck and God bless.

Last edited:
Great!!

Jon:

I am working on the same project for the same for Jim as you are. I have talked to Carl Hay and plan on looking at his plane soon. I have given Jim some pictures of Carl's plane. Give me a call, maybe we can work on this together. It would be interesting to see what other people on this site have to add.

Tim James 503 201 8623

Sounds like you are a step or two ahead of me Tim. I will call you this weekend. Thanks.

Back