What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step 2 page 28-2

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Could some one help explain step 2 on page 28-2 of the fuselage manual. The third paragraph reads.
"Machine countersink the nutplate attach holes in the fwd fuselage ribs to fit the head of an AN426AD3 rivet". The paragraph goes on and we understand the remainder, but we don't see any reference to nutplates pertaining to the F-1043C-L and F-1048-L mating surfaces.
On other builder's sites and in the manual farther down the road we see evidence of two nutplates on each side but find no reference as to their location.
Step 3 explains the nutplates shown in figure 3 , on the outward flanges but as I said above I think there are four more nutplates needed not shown.
Thanks Ron

Ron,
There are 2 nutplates and eventually they will hold adel clamps for the fuel lines. On figure 2, F-1043C-L shows 15 holes where it joins with F-1048-L. The nutplates are in holes 3-5 and 10-12, counting from the bottom.
You can actually see them on page 20-13 figure 1.

Thanks for the help. I finally found out that these nutplate are not required in the newer kits. I drilled and countersunk for them anyway. It fun trying to figure out things like this, Van's could be of some help!! The only thing I can come up with is the Maytag problem. Van's aircraft, must be so dependable that their phones would not ring, if they hadn't placed a few blunders and refuse to advise us builders of them, in their plans. I will never understand how a company can build a kit to exceptional presision and print a set of build plans so elaborate, but yet leave a (very few) mistakes or incomplete revisions that confuse almost if not all builders. I could understand if these problems just occured but they have been there since 04 at least some of them.
Ron

I mentioned this a bit ago and refer to it in my post close to here.

All it needs is a note box, easily added to say - don't worry about XYZ, it will occur on page XX-YY.

As an experienced Vans builder, I am finding the 10 the most frustrating when it comes to plans/instructions. The 12's were excellent and the 14 empennage very straightforward.

Back