What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 695/696

From AVWEB:

Since early summer we've heard rumblings that Garmin would soon debut a new portable navigator and the company said today it will roll out the GPSMap 695 and 696 at AOPA Expo next week in San Jose, California. These new products end Garmin's longish product intro drought with a pair of large-screen navigators that have Electronic Flight Bag functions but aren't really EFBs. The 695/696 are tablet-size products (5.7 by 7.7 by 2 inches) with the basic functionality of the popular GPSMap 496 navigator. The new products add one intriguing function we can't wait to see: electronic charts and expanded weather capability.

The hardware itself is Garmin's first aviation-specific effort in more than 10 years—previous aviation portable navigators have been adapted from Garmin's marine or automotive hardware base. Garmin's Jessica Myers told us that development work on the 696 lead to the G300 EFIS to be offered in Cessna's Skycatcher LSA. The 696's WVGA color display is capable of depicting a full size approach plate and, as with the GPSMap 496, the 696 will display XM-based datalink weather, linked in through a smart antenna similar to that used on the 496. As with other Garmin portables, the 695/696 can operate on batteries (2 ½ estimate battery life) or ship's power and it has an internal antenna for GPS reception. (No Bluetooth capability is planned.) The 695 is identical to the 696, but lacks weather capability. Both units will be available for sale at AOPA Expo for $2,695 and $3,295, respectively.

Looks good, but awfully expensive. Seems "brand G" still doesn't understand that some of us want GPS functionality at a price less than what we paid for our EFIS...

This is it!

I have not bought a portable GPS since I purchased my GPS 90 in the 1990s. This is one I have to have for the complete and current approach plates alone. I read the information at the site listed by the originator of this thread.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Looks quite nice. Of particular interest is that it is designed to be a Class I / II EFB and replace approach charts. It looks like Garmin learned from the MX-20 and Avidyne interface and can toggle between IFR/VFR chart depictions using softkeys on the bottom of the display.

More here.

TODR

Sweet! I can't wait to see Air Gizmo build a panel snap in device. You just gonna love the large screen, but I like to hold the 496 in one hand while flying.

Sweet! I can't wait to see Air Gizmo build a panel snap in device. You just gonna love the large screen, but I like to hold the 496 in one hand while flying.
Update: Accoridng to AvWeb, the unit is 5.7"W by 7.7"W by 2"H and has a 7" dia screen. For comparison, the older x96 units are 5.7"W x 3.2"H and have a 3.8" dia screen.

I would seem that the 696 is narrow and shallow enough to make a dock that fits a standard 6.25" width stack. It would seem to be a great fit for the experimental / light sport market.

Update 2: Airgizmos emailed me back already this morning (quick service!) to say that they will be making a dock for the 696 but don't have one just yet.

TODR

Last edited:
Wow...too neat.

The thing I find interesting about it is the knob and softkeys. I work in software and I'm a user interface nerd. Entering waypoints on the 496 is the only real complaint I have about it.

Very neat to see all of these incredibly cool advancements in aviation.

Yup - it is WAY cool!!

I'm glad that the cat is finally out of the bag on this thing, as I have had the marvelous opportunity to be a Beta tester for the 696 for the past several months - and yes, it is WAY cool! When you add up all of the functions that it performs, th price is actually much lower than I was expecting it to be. Wen you look at what you have to pay for an Electronic Flight Bag, then add the features of a 496, you come out quite a bit ahead - and that is not even counting the new HUGE display and more feature-rich software.

The first thing you notice about it has got to be the size and brightness of the screen - this is (I think) an EFIS screen, repackaged as a portable. Bright under all conditions, including on-top sunshine in a bubble-canopy -8. The resolution and map detail are outstanding. Speaking of the map, it now has airways (hi and lo), and an IFR en route chart mode. The flight planning feature has probably one of the best features I have sen yet - you can "grab" the course line, and rubber band it to a new waypoint - so if you get a re-route, or decide to go around something, just pull the line to a new point and follow it - the new point is added to the Flight Plan.

The weather features are the same, but look much better on the big screen - you have more real estate to get a bigger picture of what is going on, and the resolution and color are excellent. There is a new, slightly smaller XM antenna/receiver (I am happy because I have an early unit that doesn't have "Garmin" printed on top, so I don't get a reflection in my windshield when it is on my glare shield - I doubt that is an option....), and it gets the same subscription services as the old one.

The database of the new unit seems to be much more complete than the 496 - I am guessing it is simply more memory. In fact, I have had to go in and turn off private heliports and the like - too much clutter! Our airpark is listed, whereas it was not in the old database.

The user interface is improved (over the older 496) with the joystick/knob. It will be familiar (I learned it in about 10 minutes without a manual) because the stick acts somewhat like the old four-way Garmin "rocker", but the knob can also be twisted to make selections and the like. The edge keys on the bottom make common inputs much simpler - although it still takes a couple of motions to mute the audio (I usually just use the "isolate" switch on my audio panel - it is quicker). The XM audio, by the way, is as good as ever, and even better - they have isolated the audio and power grounds, so you don't get the ground loop hum common on the 396/496! This is huge - and I was able to give my little isolation box to Louise for use in Mikey, so now both are hum free.

There is no doubt that this is a bigger box to manage in the cockpit - I have mine on a RAM mount on the right side of the Val where I mounted the older unit. It fits fine, but is noticeably bigger. However, since it displays my IFR charts, it serves sort of as a flight desk, and I don't really have a problem. I started wearing my knee board on my left leg to de-conflict the space, and was surprised at how quickly I adapted to it.

Speaking of IFR charts - yup - they are all there! Approach plates fit just fine, and are very readable. you can zoom in and out, which is nice when you get a "landscape" SID or STAR chart. You do NOT see the airplane in real time on the charts - this is a chart reader, not an interactive chart/map - but you can switch back and forth quickly between the chart and the map which does depict the approach if you have it selected, and the map shows where you are in real time. Since I navigate with my EFIS and GNS 430, I just put the approach plate on the 696, and leave it there. (And my old Sony "Reader" is going to be just for books from now on I guess....)

Yup, this thing is pretty dang cool! If you do a lot of cross-country flying around weather systems, I am pretty sure the extra cost will be justified by its features. if you are going IFR frequently, then yes, it is a GREAT deal. Now that the wraps are off, I can show it to folks that want to see it at fly-ins (I can stop using my Boonie Hat to cover it up now!) or fuel stops.

It will be interesting to see how it is adopted, and I bet folks will be incorporating it n their panels pretty soon. There are a lot of new features that I haven't even touched on - too much to remember at one sitting!

Paul

but you can switch back and forth quickly between the chart and the map which does depict the approach if you have it selected, and the map shows where you are in real time.

Paul,

Are the complete approaches shown on the map or just from FAF in like on the older ones? Proceedure turns? Holds?

If so, this thing is going to tempt people to break some rules!

How about VNAV stuff, what does it do in this regard?

Ahh Paul,
you are now the expert to answer ?'s.
One of the things that has kept me from the Garmin portable is that it will not except a waypoint from an external source. Is this still true?
Meaning I HATE HATE to double entry in the cockpit and worry about which unit is doing what, especially on instruments. I want to enter in one place, in my case its the 430, and have it propogate around. Can this new garmin portable take an external data source stream and put that as your flight plan? External serial stream from traffic TIS transponder for example too?
Thanks for answering questions.

HX goes in today. Yipee!

but it's still not certified for IFR is it? just "back-up" as they say? Thats a bummer...why don't they work on an IFR certified portable?

Pete

So now we can wait for the other (Garmin) shoe to drop...a GRT/AFS type unit for the experimental market.

Ahh Paul,
you are now the expert to answer ?'s.
One of the things that has kept me from the Garmin portable is that it will not except a waypoint from an external source. Is this still true?
Meaning I HATE HATE to double entry in the cockpit and worry about which unit is doing what, especially on instruments. I want to enter in one place, in my case its the 430, and have it propogate around. Can this new garmin portable take an external data source stream and put that as your flight plan? External serial stream from traffic TIS transponder for example too?
Thanks for answering questions.

HX goes in today. Yipee!

Well Dang....I am SOME expert....I don't think I can answer ANY of your questions, cause I haven't tried to interface it to anything else in the cockpit. The preliminary/draft manual that I have does show "Data In" and "Data Out" lines, and tells how to interface it with a GTX 330 for traffic (so we know it can receive), and how to have it send frequencies to the SL-30/40. The manual doesn't have a section for 430 interface in the version I have. I haven't pulled my panel to do any interface wiring for it yet, so these questions will have to wait on more data.

Oh, and in case you just HATE the HX, you can send it to me, and I'll find a good use for it....;)

Paul

Last edited:
but it's still not certified for IFR is it? just "back-up" as they say? Thats a bummer...why don't they work on an IFR certified portable?

Pete

I doubt that FAA is ever goign to certify a portable GPS for IFR....but that's just my opinion....

However, they are now letting us replace all those paper charts with electronic ones (like this), so who knows?

Paul

Pete
I doubt you will ever see IFR certification for anything portable. IIRC, TSOs address both a physical unit and installation.

If we could have portable units as part of an IFR certified airplane, we would have had people using handheld VOR units under IFR for years.

TODR

It doesn't have to be CERTIFIED

It is not the nav aid although it provides the charts and situation awareness to keep your head straight you still use the same instruments that are required for the instrument approach. I will buy one and use it for all its worth. I will not buy the terminal procedure books every time I make a trip.

Bob Axsom

I had wondered if Garmin folks ever played around with an AvMap --------screen size and button layout on the AvMap are so superior---

Think I now have the answer.

Bar has been raised, I would say.

I will not buy the terminal procedure books every time I make a trip.

I saw on another news release where Garmin was quoted as saying that if the terminal procedure charts were expired, they will not show on the unit.

Is this true Paul?

Ahh Paul,

Hey Kahuna:

The 495, 496 will take a Garmin "aviation" stream as an input. It only has one input, so you have to choose between doing the aviation stream or TIS information. You can feed it waypoints from a 430 though, no problem.

One of the panel vendors at OSH had a customer's panel setup like this. I tried it out. It works.

I saw on another news release where Garmin was quoted as saying that if the terminal procedure charts were expired, they will not show on the unit.

Is this true Paul?

I think that is how it is going to work - I believe the manual says that if the chart database is significantly out of date, then the charts won't display. I have not had the opportunity to test that yet. I can tell you that the unit I was testing originally had no charts installed, and the chart button simply didn't show up, so it knows how to handle "no charts" - I expect it would handle "expired charts" the same way. This only seemed to apply to approaches/SID/STARS - the IFR maps (enroutes) still appeared.

Hey Kahuna:

The 495, 496 will take a Garmin "aviation" stream as an input. It only has one input, so you have to choose between doing the aviation stream or TIS information. You can feed it waypoints from a 430 though, no problem.

One of the panel vendors at OSH had a customer's panel setup like this. I tried it out. It works.

With the user interface for Flight Plans as nice as it is on the 696, I would most likely want to go the other way - do the flight planning, waypoints, and course deviations on the 696, and have them upload to the 430. Let's face it, the 430 interface is a dinosaur. Imagine a course line on the 696, and weather springs up along it. Cursor over, grab the line, drag it out to clear the weather, and have the 430 (and your autopilot) follow along. Now THAT would be trick!

Paul

It's a tall unit....

Update: Accoridng to AvWeb, the unit is 5.7"W by 7.7"W by 2"H and has a 7" dia screen. For comparison, the older x96 units are 5.7"W x 3.2"H and have a 3.8" dia screen.

I would seem that the 696 is narrow and shallow enough to make a dock that fits a standard 6.25" width stack. It would seem to be a great fit for the experimental / light sport market.

Update 2: Airgizmos emailed me back already this morning (quick service!) to say that they will be making a dock for the 696 but don't have one just yet.

TODR

...at 7.7 inches high - plus a bit for the Gizmo dock - making it as tall as the entire existing radio stack in most RVs....:)

Try a 5.7 by 7.7 paper cutout on any of your panel layouts.

I'll be interested to see who comes up with the best mounting idea when they get to be in use.

I agree, put this in the stack and there is not much room left in most RV's for anything else.

...at 7.7 inches high - plus a bit for the Gizmo dock - making it as tall as the entire existing radio stack in most RVs....:)

I'll be interested to see who comes up with the best mounting idea when they get to be in use.

This unit isn't small, but, well, that's part of the appeal. It will likely require us to relocate the G327 XPDR in our CT if we use a dock.

TODR

There is a new, slightly smaller XM antenna/receiver (I am happy because I have an early unit that doesn't have "Garmin" printed on top, so I don't get a reflection in my windshield when it is on my glare shield - I doubt that is an option....), and it gets the same subscription services as the old one.

Paul

The video on Sporty's says the internal antenna is good enough so that the external shouldn't be needed - is this your experience Paul?

Also - forgive my ignorance, but isn't the new Dynon supposed to have radios, etc integrated into it? Would this eliminate the need for a radio stack? Again, I'm really ignorant about these electric gizmos!

Hi Paul - is the "IFR Map" the functional equivalent of an enroute chart? All the same information on it? In other words, if the box were 100% reliable, would you still carry a paper enroute chart?

Yes, it it were 100% reliable, I think it would suffice. I have not, however, cancelled my subscription to Aircharts Updater yet....;)

(Disclaimer - I have not done a 100% comparison to make sure that very bit of data is there. Might be some obscure stuff missing - it will take time to figure out.)

The video on Sporty's says the internal antenna is good enough so that the external shouldn't be needed - is this your experience Paul?

The internal GPS antenna antenna has been superb - I haven't used the external GPS antenna even once yet. The XM antenna, however, is still an external "hockey puck" - a little smaller than before.

The unit can get a 3D lock and position sitting on the desk in my study, on the wall OPPOSITE the two small windows - using the internal antenna!

Oh, here's a picture of it in the cockpit, so you can see it relative to "known" avionics and instruments for size:

IMG_6744.jpg

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,

Just out of personal curiosity, do you know if Garmin did the engineering for this in their Kansas office or the Oregon office? Thanks.

--Bill

Paul,

Just out of personal curiosity, do you know if Garmin did the engineering for this in their Kansas office or the Oregon office? Thanks.

--Bill

The folks I worked with were in Kansas I believe - of course, with the internet, who knows for sure?!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Garmin Info

I just called Garmin and asked:

-can strap this unit on your leg for flight operations (physical compatibility, heat, etc.)?

Yes there is an optional mout sold for this purpose​

-What is the approach plate update cost?

I don't have the cost all memorized yet but it is something like $95 for a single download and $395 for a full year. The data base is Jeppesen but the display is the government format​

What is the cost of the XM Weather service?

Well XM controls that but I believe they have an Aviator Lite for approximately $30 per month, Aviator for approximately $50 per month and Aviator Pro for approximately 100 per month​

I'm going to go with the GPSMAP 695 without the weather.

Bob Axsom

Automotive Mode?

Paul,

Does it have an automotive mode, like the 496, so you can use it in your car for driving directions?

Marc

Paul,

Does it have an automotive mode, like the 496, so you can use it in your car for driving directions?

Marc

I have not found it to have an automobile mode Marc - seems to be a dedicated aviation unit. That said...the database of highways is pretty good - Louise and I took it when we drove up to Minnesota in September - clamped the mount to the brake lever of our little Honda, and it was like a center consoel computer - and it was right on teh freeways and major highways. But no routing functions, addresses, etc.

We watched Hurricane Gustav come ashore and chase us all the way up north on it - really cool with the big screen - you coudl see the whole radar picture!

596???

What happened to the 596? Was I asleep when they released it? :confused:

Or is it like Van's RV-5? Only one was built and it's hanging up in a barn somewhere? I bet it has a swing antenna. (Only you old-timer RV-ers will catch that one!):rolleyes: [See this post... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=35626 ]

Don

(I bought a 396 at a reduced price at OSH when the 496's came out and have never regretted it. I'll keep flying my C172 with it until I finish my RV-7 and then they'll probably have a 996 at the rate I'm going!) :eek:

Last edited:
Finally someone asked a key question.

As impressive as the GPSMAP-696 is, its size, cost and lack of auto function should tell that this unit is targeted at the professional pilot as a Class III EFB. While you could make it fit on the panel, it will most likely be most often on the knee.

Recently Garmin had introduced the GPSMAP 600 series to their marine line. Until the 696, portable aviation units have been based on the marine units, so this may provide a glimpse of what the next (596?) portable will look like. The aviation GPSMAP 396 is based on the boating GPSMAP 378 and the aviation GPSMAP 496 is based on the boating GPSMAP 478.

lf-lg.jpg
rf-lg.jpg

This boating unit will not be available until Q1 '09 so maybe a Sun-N-Fun or OSH announcement for an aviation equivalent. The 640 includes XM weather where as the 620 does not. The premium for the XM version is $200. It is not immediately obvious if the XM receiver is built in or separate as with the current portables. There are hints that the XM receiver is integral to the (640) unit.

Specs
Dimensions: 5.9"W x 4"H x 1.9"D (15.0 x 10.2 x 4.8 cm)
Display size: 4.5"W x 2.7"H (11.4 x 6.9 cm); 5.2" diag (13.2 cm)
Resolution: 800 x 480 pixels
Weight: 17.3 ounces (490.4 g)

GPSMAP 640 Price: $1,199.99 USD
GPSMAP 620 Price: $999.99 USD

Touchscreen, NMEA I/O, SD card slot, up to 9 hour battery, Headphone jack, same land software as Nuvi auto units.

I heard a rumor that they just decided to skip the "596" number to mess with everyone that was speculating what it would be....:p (Louise and I just referred to it as "the tablet" during beta testing so that we wouldn't accidently have a conversation where the number was overheard.)

While the 696 does incorporate all of the 496's aviation functionality, the size of the screen and the addition of EFB functionality really puts it in a new class in my opinion.

Paul

I think you'll be surprised how many will end up in panels. Ask me how I know....it won't be too long before you see them installed in all sorts of RV panels - sooner rather than later...that I can promise as a fact! :)

As far as mounting goes, stay tuned!

More facts on the system to follow, I just don't have the time to add many details at the moment.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I think you'll be surprised how many will end up in panels. Ask me how I know....it won't be too long before you see them installed in all sorts of RV panels - sooner rather than later...that I can promise as a fact! :)

I know "mine" will end up in the panel! :D
I have a center pull out section with Van's engine gauges; that can go.

I'm going to sell my new 496; sell the older 296...............and see what difference I have to come up with.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

..Also - forgive my ignorance, but isn't the new Dynon supposed to have radios, etc integrated into it? Would this eliminate the need for a radio stack?...
Yes and more... Check the Dynon Web site for more details.

What happened to the 596? Was I asleep when they released it? :confused: ...
My only question is, and I'm sure Garmin has thought of this, with all the AirGizmos out there, they are limiting the upgrade of a lot of people by moving away from the same form-factor as the 2/3/496. Could I just dream that a 596 is on the way with more screen area and the new joy stick?

The missing auto database is a no go item for me. There have been a number of times where we have used my 496 to navigate to our hotel or some obscure address after leaving the plane at the airport.

Still, it sure is mighty purty.

One last question Paul, is this the unit that is supposed to control the weather?

Auto Pilot Output

Hi There

Very exciting info on the Garmin 696. I am very interested to know whether or not this new unit is strictly a moving map & info centre etc. or, can it also be used to drive an autopilot.

A long time ago, I had a Garmin 195 which could drive an autopilot, and my current Garmin 250XL of course can do this. I would really appreciate knowing this as my RV-8 panel is supposed to be built in the next month or two.

This unit will seriously change how it is going to look.

Thanks very much!

Brian

I think you'll be surprised how many will end up in panels. Ask me how I know....it won't be too long before you see them installed in all sorts of RV panels

Cheers,
Stein

Well.....I just ordered one.....it will be in my -8 panel within a month. I'll probably do a custom mount using the 'guts' from the yoke mount.

Jim Shannon
RV-8 N52VV
Charlottesville, VA

Paul -

Can you tell me if you had this unit coupled to an autopilot or other avionics such as an EFIS? I'm putting in a new Dynon autopilot in my -8 (all Dynon panel) and would want to couple this jewel up. Also would like to connect it to my SL40 for freq downloads to the radio. Have you done this? Thanks

Jim Shannon
RV-8 N52VV
Charlottesville, VA

Hi There

Very exciting info on the Garmin 696. I am very interested to know whether or not this new unit is strictly a moving map & info centre etc. or, can it also be used to drive an autopilot.

Although I have not hooked it up to do that, it has the same output capabilities as the 496, and I believe that can drive an A/P, so I am guessing that it will work.

Next time I remove my panel for some reason, I intend to add a few new serial connections and allow additional boxes to talk to each other - like the 696 to the 430, EFIS, and A/P...

Paul

Back