- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Removing Pro-Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog04 View Post
For those that have had to remove the T-408 cover plate inorder to safety wire the fuel pickup tubes (SB 06-2-23), what is the best method to remove/clean the cured pro-seal. I confess that I used the "more is better" method. Now I wish I had been a little neater.

Thanks,
Mike Morris
sundog04@aol.com

Try http://www.rpm-technology.com/Poly-Gone.htm I understand that it works well on 870,890,14XX tank and RTV sealers without all the nasty scrapeing.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Remove pro seal

High grade paint remover works well. Use plastic scrapers. Final removal with scotch pads. Wash thouroughly after removal. El Dorado Chemicals also carries a removal liquid specifically for pro seal. Effective and nasty.
TT
RV10
N968TP
Old 01-23-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Acetone

Bit of an old thread, but helped me get off a tank access cover so I'll add my .02 for posterity.

I use some scrap 1/16" plexi and made a scraper as discussed by someone earlier here. Sharpened the edge on the grinder. Does the trick. I then used a very thin metal paint scraper to work in between the flange and the base metal, same as you would do on any fuel pump, water pump, pan gasket, and just worked my way around slowly. Once the cover was ojf, more scraping with the plexi, then wiped the left over with Acetone - works like magic. Same as for your wifes nail polish. Forget using MEK. Your liver chews up acetone. MEK, yeah not so much. Of course, gloves no matter what.
N251Y (res)
Dec2016
Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog04 View Post
For those that have had to remove the T-408 cover plate inorder to safety wire the fuel pickup tubes (SB 06-2-23), what is the best method to remove/clean the cured pro-seal. I confess that I used the "more is better" method. Now I wish I had been a little neater.

Thanks,
Mike Morris
sundog04@aol.com
Is the plate sealed with just ProSeal or cork and ProSeal?

If the latter, be sure your putty knife or what have you is not trying to drive through the cork itself, but, instead, the Proseal.

As I believe another suggested, have something to place in an opened section - popsicle sticks are a good idea to keep the gap open and make it easier to proceed.

I had to do this last year to get at the air vent B-nut and tighten it.

It's not great gobs of fun but it can be safely done. I also found it very hand to have a headrest as I lay under the plane working at it. It allowed the rest of me to relax while I worked the joint.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM

DO NOT use MEK on your proseal, even on dried proseal!

It will penetrate the proseal sealing your rivets an will cause leaks (paint blisters) later on.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 01-23-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
DO NOT use MEK on your proseal, ev ed n dried proseal!

It will penetrate the proseal sealing your rivets an will cause leaks (paint blisters) later on.
I was wondering if anyone would mention that; it's an important point. Take great pains to keep it away from anything you want to stay sealed.

When my covers went back on, I used this:
https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...lange-sealant/
Don't take my word on it; do your homework. Just a heads-up on more user friendly (and designed-for-application) product.

Charlie
Old 01-23-2017, 12:44 PM

Having scraped tons of proseal from Blackhawk helicopters, I found a plastic scraper to work best and do no harm. If you have an pieces of canopy left sitting around, sharpen on a grinder then use a file to finish the process.

Lexan works best, if you have it.
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 01-23-2017, 01:21 PM

where can one buy toluene?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 PM

Default Skykleen

I used a product called Skykleen a couple years ago that seemed to work pretty well. I soaked some old socks and laid them on the proseal. I left it overnight but might not need that long. I got it from Falcon Crest in Englewood CO. Scott at 800-314-one one eight five can get it for you. Maybe others but I know Scott can get it.

Dave
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ato14a View Post
I used a product called Skykleen a couple years ago that seemed to work pretty well. I soaked some old socks and laid them on the proseal. I left it overnight but might not need that long. I got it from Falcon Crest in Englewood CO. Scott at 800-314-one one eight five can get it for you. Maybe others but I know Scott can get it.

Dave
How do you know it won't penetrate the proseal and cause leaks, like doing the same with MEK would do?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html