- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Patience and Percieverence

Well done, mine was sent to me in 97, the emp. Then I began in earnest to build by ordering the wings in 2012 and the QB fuse 2014. I am now painting the bird and sending painted parts to rented hanger for assembly and first flight to happen around June 1 or July.

Awsome that you are still building and I would advise to buy the QB fuse it certainly helped me to get things rolling faster.

So many hours now i have lost track but close to 1600 building and 3000 researching and reading!

Build on and enjoy

Dave
Wings complete

Dynon installed and running
Fuse closer to completion, Canopy complete
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed
Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 AM

Default Back to the future

I'm back on the tools and building again now, after a 20 year break, and picking up where I left off on the part-build fuselage. Before moving house for the third time, I took pictures of the fuselage skeleton to help with putting it back together again at the new workshop. The old workshop was 14 feet by 20 feet and I found it a bit awkward to build efficiently in a small-ish place.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/V2...=w1680-h881-ft

I partially disassembled the fuselage frame by separating the section behind the baggage compartment. The front section fit into a box trailer and the jig went on top of my Toyota for the 400km drive. I took the wings on a separate trip, on the same trailer, sitting on top of a foam mattress.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/a2...=w1680-h881-ft

Now at the new workshop, which is much bigger, I have reassembled the jig and the fuselage frame and also took the opportunity to de-burr and prime those parts that I did not get to do 20 years ago.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wB...=w1680-h881-ft

So far I have been really enjoying working on the project again. It is helpful to have a bit of a distraction from the crazy virus thing that is affecting all of us at the moment.

I am going slowly and carefully and checking over everything that Younger Me did. Most of it is making sense and I've found a couple of mistakes that I've fixed. I've got the latest plans on CD and have been checking back and forth against the paper drawings that originally came with the kit. I'm following the Frank Justice manual and the extra detail is helpful.

Of course VAF has been a great help to get me motivated again and to know that this can be done! Building on in interesting times!!
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 03-25-2020 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Picture links
Old 03-25-2020, 03:07 PM

Default retrofit nose gear

To add an additional complication, I am in the middle of retrofitting the new design engine mount and nose gear to my similar vintage RV-6A. The install is going well, it is a very well designed and executed piece. If you are inclined to do it, now is the ideal time, before you have done engine, cowl and baffles.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-GRVT View Post
To add an additional complication, I am in the middle of retrofitting the new design engine mount and nose gear to my similar vintage RV-6A. The install is going well, it is a very well designed and executed piece. If you are inclined to do it, now is the ideal time, before you have done engine, cowl and baffles.
I agree it is a worthwhile investment and intend to order when I get closer to installing the engine mount. My firewall has preliminary holes only for the engine mount which came with the kit. It will also save having to modify the old nose gear leg per the Vans SB.

Another change I'm considering is 380-150 x 5 tyres on the mains, and I understand the wheel spats will need to be raised. I will operate from a grass strip and the bigger tyres should roll better.

Last edited by PaulvS : 03-25-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:24 PM

Default Going in a circle

I went around in a circle today, April 1st carried over!

I've been checking over the fuselage frame and noticed the smallest F-612 bulkhead at the tail end was installed with the flanges facing forward. But there is a one-line statement in the construction manual that says to orient flanges backward for the -6A (versus the -6 which has two parts riveted together, one facing forward, one facing back).

I decided to make another bulkhead, similar to the 6, so as to have flanges facing backward as well as forward.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rmt...w?usp=drivesdk

Made the part, went to drill the parts together, checked the rivet spacing on the plans and noticed a revision to have the flange face forward on the -6A!

So a morning's work for nothing (other than some ongoing education).

Last edited by PaulvS : 04-01-2020 at 11:51 PM.