Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitts flyer View Post
I have 3 unused new ones. If you pay the postage via paypal and a bit extra for the paypal fee, I will send them to you.
Dave
Sent you a PM.

Thanks!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 12-01-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I'm there at 800 hrs. Why did it fail? Was it connected to the engine or the somewhere else?
It is installed according to plans up to the tabs on the oil sump, but the plans also state not to bend the end of the tubing tabs. There is really no way not to bend them if you want them to fit around the engine mount.

The broken one is the one in the middle of the photo here:

You can see that without a slight bend on the tab, it won't line up with the other tube coming down from the sump.

The broken one is the lower one on the far side in this photo.

I'm not shocked that it broke, since I know of many other cases from reading these forums about this issue with bending the tabs and then allowing them to crack. 750 hours isn't bad! Just a reminder to others to always check them. In my preflight, I didn't notice any extra looseness in the exhaust pipes with a wiggle test.

Keith's suggestion is intriguing, to use auto exhaust hanger material between steel straps. Got any photos?
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 12-01-2019, 11:26 AM

your arrangement is good. the design for a flattened tube is poor but it's light weight and fits a rubber tube so it's worth trying to improve. what about a set of dies that transition from round to flat smoother. I don't know if it's worth much but I'll give it a try. if it works I may also be able to put a bend in there. there has to be an optimal design for this transition. I'll poke around.

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-01-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Mine Recently broke as well. Was a simple fix however I suspect it was due to the fact that I had not been lubricating the exhaust joints, which I was not aware of. I am now. This was an easy fix. Clamped the ends and then drilled a hole and reattached.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I was doing an oil change today, and as usual, I give the entire engine a really good look over. I found one of the exhaust hangers had cracked.

The hanger is made from thinwall stainless steel 3/8" tubing. I know I can source this stuff locally, but making the end flattened looks like it might require some special skills/tools. I don't want to just beat it flat with a hammer. My vise is probably not sufficient to pinch this, and I don't have a hydraulic press.

Any tips, or should I just call Vetterman Exhaust and get a replacement?

Would you replace all hangers, or just the one that is cracked?
Old 12-01-2019, 01:19 PM

yeah, we want to get away from this stuff. there could be a market for a fitting welded to a tube to take the place of these smashed tubes. perhaps anti-splat could pick this up.

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 12-01-2019, 02:08 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
yeah, we want to get away from this stuff. there could be a market for a fitting welded to a tube to take the place of these smashed tubes. perhaps anti-splat could pick this up.
3/8" solid steel rod can be used instead of the flattened tubing, that's what I use for the hanger that goes between the tailpipes.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 AM

Default What I did..

I used 3/8 Stainless tubing which I threaded the inside of the ends and put in Heim bearings similar to the hinges on the flight controls. I then cross drilled a rivet through the shank to prevent any back out of the Heim bearing. A Stainless tab is installed on the sump and the exhaust hanger at the tip bent to the correct angle, then bolt the tube/rod end assembly in. It allows movement, but has no flattened ends to fail. If you are flattening a tube, the best crack prevention is a small piece of steel (1/16"-1/8" thick)looking like a popsicle stick inserted in the tube an inch or so then squeeze the tube over it. This prevents the sharp radius failure point of the flattened tube.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
3/8" solid steel rod can be used instead of the flattened tubing, that's what I use for the hanger that goes between the tailpipes.
ditto on this method. replaced all my hollow tube supports with solid ones. flattening the end took some work but worth the effort. will never break.
[IMG][/IMG]
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 AM

Old 12-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Or, 3/8 solid aluminum rod. This ended the problem of breakage on the first RV.

Carl