What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting up shop

I?ve finally, after several year (and a couple of price increases on the kits) come to the decision hat it is going to be an rv7. Although I?m still about 2% leaning toward an 8. I think I will be buying the preview plans very soon. In the mean time, I have been working hard at preparing my shop.

I wanted to get some suggestions. I have several eaa tables made. I also have some shop tools, drill press, band saw, grinder, sander, compressor, and a bunch of air tools (mostly automotive). I have no aircraft tools. I am considering just getting a rivet gun and starting to practice with it.

Is that a good idea, and if so, where can I get good scrap with which to practice?

Any other ideas to prepare the shop and get ready would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you attend our October EAA 302 Meeting in Conroe. https://www.eaa302.org/ We have a very active and helpful builder community and you can attend the meeting as a visitor (free admission). The next meeting is Saturday Oct. 12th at 10:00 am at the Galaxy FBO, 2971 Hawthorne, Conroe.

I'm sure that one or more members will have some aluminum scrap and a few rivets they would be willing to give you to practice on.

However if you are serious about purchasing an RV kit, I would recommend you purchase one of the practice kits from Van's, either the RV Training Project or the tool box, rather than just riveting some scrap together.
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1569101662-142-3&browse=misc

An even better learning situation would be to attend an EAA SportAir Workshop, either the sheet metal workshop or the RV Assembly workshop (they are both similar). https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/eaa-sportair-workshops

Welcome to the wonderful world of aircraft building!

Good lighting.

Winter is coming------heat is nice to have.

"Winter"? What is that? When you have the shop A/C set at 68 :).

Definitely light. When you think you have just about too much, double it.

At least one of your many grinders setup on an open stand with all covers removed and a schotchbrite wheel on both sides. One side stays meticulously dressed flat with square corners. The other side gets beat to death with grooves from sheet material so that you can pull a part through it at just the right angle and get the end and both edges all deburred in one pass.

Wheels for your EAA benches for sure. It only takes a few minutes.
i-vV5P2Hg-M.jpg

The single best shop investment one can make in Texas (I wasn't kidding about 68 deg):
i-SFwtL66-M.jpg

Since you're new to the neighborhood (Welcome!), and are thinking about shop stuff: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=138736

Last edited:
Van's training kits

Is that a good idea, and if so, where can I get good scrap with which to practice?

Any other ideas to prepare the shop and get ready would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
For material to practice on, I suggest you get the Van's practice kits. For what they are they're fairly cheap & they'll get you started on the techniques you'll need for the aircraft. You'll need some hole deburring tools, dimple dies, and a squeezer possibly also to get started.

Storage Space. You'll need lots of flat & long areas to store bigger pieces like spars & skins, and boxes for the smaller brackets / ribs / hardware etc.

hey neighbor

I am building a -9a in Alden Bridge. If you would like someone to help you out a little or see some of the processes needed send me pm or email. I am a A&P and a maintenance instructor at United. I am also a member of EAA 302.

Jay

I am building a -9a in Alden Bridge. If you would like someone to help you out a little or see some of the processes needed send me pm or email. I am a A&P and a maintenance instructor at United. I am also a member of EAA 302.

Jay

That's the best advise. A Mentor will show you how to build and in the process you will find out which tools you prefer.

One thing that you'll need is storage space for the parts. There are a lot of parts. Look up the various ways to store the rivets and other hardware; I favor empty plastic water bottles for the rivets (minimal spillage when dropped) and parts bins for the rest. All properly labeled.

There are a lot of flat parts and parts that are bent and don't lie flat. All need to be put somewhere. Many of the bigger parts can be left safely in the shipping box, but then you need space for the box. If you get more than one kit at the same time, e.g., empennage, wing and fuselage, you'll need considerable space.

With multiple workbenches, besides the bottom shelf, it might be reasonable to add a second shelf for the flat stuff. Don't forget the taller things, maybe don't add second shelves to every workbench.

Some people, if they can manage it, put these in a hangar. But then, if you're building at home, they are off site. Lots of trade-offs to any storage method.

And surprise, as you progress, you might find that you have a lot of tools. They also need storage. I decided that I didn't want to commit floor space to a roll-away tool chest, and built drawers in my work benches. Again, there are pros and cos to everything.

Dave

Back