VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Is the little kite drawing on the left canopy for aerobatic orientation?
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 07-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Good catch - and yes it is.

RV-8 flying, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop
Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 AM

There’s an old story about that meteor crater where an airline captain pointed out the crater to the crew. Someone responded with, “Boy, they were lucky. That meteor almost hit that parking lot.”
Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Default Change of destination

While Bob and I were at breakfast he called a friend in Florida to ask for a hangar for me and gave me the contact details. In the evening I planned for Gainsville/FL and in the morning got in touch with Bill in Brooksville/FL. He said I can share his hangar for my stay and so I replanned to his place, not much difference, just a little .....ville. I made it in one hop at 04:40h. After landing I was guided to Bill´s hangar and I was happy to have a roof for my plane, thunderstorms all around these days here! The sleeping quality is much higher this way! Not knowing me he invited me to stay at his home and drove me to the airport next morning. We intended to fly for breakfast together and waited for the weather to improve. It was too late for breakfast, so later in the day I flew to Key West around some weather and more so on the return flight.
Bill invited me today to Falcon Field KFFC while he had to do something there with the CAF. Loose formation and 30 minutes into the flight my engine got rough, #4 EGT went up, so one lean cylinder. Playing with the mixture did not really help and things got worse. Bill pointed out an airfield abeam, Cross City CTY and down we went. We found some shade to look into Skyrunner´s engine bay and one guy drove over and brought four bottles of water to make our stay more comfortable. I was astonished! The injector on #4 was clogged and so cleaned, the runup was promising, cowling on again. Off we went after only 45 minutes wheels down.
At Falcon Field I met many aviation enthusiasts working on the warbirds and they were more than happy to show me their planes and let me sit in it, much much better than looking during airshows and waiting in the queue.
It seems I meet only great people here and I´m sure I will miss it when I´m back home. The return flight was as usual flying around weather and the engine was running like nothing happened.

Along the Keys

Final Rwy 27 Key West

Bill in his beautiful RV-8 on the flight to KFFC

Happy in the hangar with their mates while a thunderstorm is passing

Happy me...

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 07-09-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM

Finally Bill and I made it to Whitted KSPG on Wednesday morning for breakfast, wheather at this time is not really perfect and Florida seems to be influenced by the depression over the Gulf of Mexico. I got a nice shot in the air over the Skyway Bridge just south of Whitted.
Then today in the morning I left Brooksville, flew south around Orlando and did a low approach over Rwy 33 at the Nasa Shuttle Landing Facility, then headed towards Barnwell KBNL in South Carolina, refueled and flew on to Dare Co Rgnl KMQI for an overnight stop.
Bill - if you read this, thanks again for taking care and your hangar.
Tomorrow I intend to hop over to First Flight and be on this memorable place where the Wright brothers did their very first flights. From there I will head north and probably will set down in the New York area for another night stop.

Over the Skyway Bridge

Final Rwy 33 Nasa Shuttle Landing Facility

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 07-11-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Another Highlights

As planned, I hopped over to First Flight KFFA. During the night it was raining but it cleared up in the morning and so walking this memorable place was possible. It was only 116 years ago and now we are building our own airplanes again!
As I am not 100 percent fit on Foreflight and the Stadium TFR on the Hudson River showed red I was unsure what to do. I called Flight Service but they only said the TFR will be active from one hour before the event and this might change. So I flew towards New York with flight following and when descending towards the Hudson SFRA I made sure the corridor is open. It was so great that I flew the corridor three times and circled the Statue of Liberty - very impressive. No way in Europe to fly in such a congested airspace without a clearance!
Finally landed in Danbury KDXR where I met a classmate of my wife and was invited for dinner, my first meal of the day!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:44 PM

A hint of news to come...
RV-8 #83507 - currently working on finishing & firewall forward.
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2019... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:57 PM

On Saturday I flew around New York and my first landing was at Brookhaven HWV on Long Island where I visited the airport cafe. Then did some more flying without a real destination. Looked up the accomodations in Foreflight at several airports and decided to fly to Reading KDRG for the next layover. The FBO there provided the hotel transfer and a good discount at a suggested hotel. I spent myself one day off there as I run out of destinations, Oshkosh being very close. I remembered Miles here on VAF offered a place to stay and so I gave him a call. He was good with me flying over the next day and when I arrived at his hangar home he had organized a barbeque at his hangar and around 20 or 30 people, most of them pilots, came together to greet me and for some airplane talk. Miles has a beautifully restored C-170 and is building a RV-7 (see pic). And Goatflieg, if you have some more pictures I would like to see them here.
When I taxied in a guy in a neighbor hangar realized my German registration, came over and invited me to see his shop. They are restoring a B-25 there, didn´t expect this there.
This morning Miles suggested to fly to Kalamazoo KAZO which I did. Another museum with some nice warbirds and restoration work going on. I parked right in front of the museum and was greeted by the museum staff.

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 07-16-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Hermann, I and the rest of the “Brighton Air Force” really enjoyed your visit! You’re welcome back any time.

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Hermann and Miles: I have the photos ready and will share six more teasers here. There are about 140 photos, and I think I'll mail them to you both just to make it easier for all of us. Please let me know if you'd prefer to have them on a CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM) or a thumb drive. I can do either one. As soon as I get your preferences, I'll get them in the mail. I have both addresses.
RV-8 #83507 - currently working on finishing & firewall forward.
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2019... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?