VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Looks Great! As a fellow 7A slider builder, I can highly recommend the Super Tracks- and you are at a great stage to add them. Makes access to the baggage compartment so much better- night and day better.

Not to spend your money or time- but something to consider.
Working on cowl
2018 and 2019 VAF dues paid
Old 07-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
Looks Great! As a fellow 7A slider builder, I can highly recommend the Super Tracks- and you are at a great stage to add them. Makes access to the baggage compartment so much better- night and day better.

Not to spend your money or time- but something to consider.
Thanks Dan!

I REALLY want to install the Super Tracks mod and was planning on it but at this point there are soooooo many flight critical things that I still need to buy that I'm going to delay the Super Tracks until after I am flying already. This was a fairly recent decision as I was always planning on installing it during the build; but hey, the first few hours I won't be lugging around baggage anyways. haha
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM

Well it's finallly time to do the canopy skirt dance. The plan all along was just to take the time to do a skirt for the whole shebang but I held up the aluminum side skirts and said "daaaaang those fit too good to throw away!"

Therefore, I started by putting the aluminum skirts on and painting the inside of them except where Sika will go just for a little extra. Then it was time to start taping things off for the rear skirt layup.

20190709_111537 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Another picture or two of taping.

20190709_124105 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

As you can see in this next pic the tape gets a little saggy where the gap is. I put another tighter layer on and it seemed to help quite a bit. If I could do it again I might even consider putting some quick setting stuff over the first layer where the gap is and taping again.

Also, make a mental note of the side skirt and how well it fits the fuse and canopy.

20190709_124404 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Remember that mental note you made? In the next pic it looks like the layup is really being pushed out by the side skirt. It is a little fatter there but for the most part the picture is playing tricks on you.

20190709_165326 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next up since I still had some time to play with I fabricated a couple of handles to rivet to the canopy for easier opening.

20190709_165315 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Stay tuned for mass quantities of sanding.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Wow! Those side skirts fit awesome. Mine do not fit that snug to the side skin, despite all my efforts to remedy. I will have to work mine a bit more, there is a twist in the sidebar that under that compound bend was beyond effort to take out. So you think there was no way to do AL on the back Jereme?

How many layers are you applying to that rear area?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited by kentlik : 07-10-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added note
Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Looks Great! My side skirts were a nice tight fit too, but I wasted far too much time trying to get the rear ones to fit well. I even purchased a cheap english wheel thinking I could do some magic (Jesse James style). Should have done glass from the start.

Your build looks fantastic! That is going to be a heck of and RV!
Working on cowl

Last edited by dreed : 07-10-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Wow! Those side skirts fit awesome. Mine do not fit that snug to the side skin, despite all my efforts to remedy. I will have to work mine a bit more, there is a twist in the sidebar that under that compound bend was beyond effort to take out. So you think there was no way to do AL on the back Jereme?

How many layers are you applying to that rear area?
Interesting Kent, mine required very little tweaking on the sides. There is no way in heck I would even attempt to do metal on the rear. I'm sure it would be way harder to do with the Sika method as well since there is a fair amount of preload in the metal by the sounds of it. I know a guy here that did metal on his -6A and he described the torture it was to accomplish it. I went with four plies of 8.9 oz 8-harness satin found here.

Quote:
Looks Great! My side skirts were a nice tight fit too, but I wasted far too much time trying to get the rear ones to fit well. I even purchased a cheap english wheel thinking I could do some magic (Jesse James style). Should have done glass from the start.

Your build looks fantastic! That is going to be a heck of and RV!
Thanks for the compliments Dan! Ya doing it in metal never even crossed my mind. The only thing I used the metal for was a template to cut the glass haha. So did you end up going with glass in the end if I understand correct?
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Default Awesome!

Jereme! you will be flying in no time! Great work all around.
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 07-10-2019, 03:16 PM

Doing the glass as we speak :-) Well, not this very second but that is what I'm working on.

I ordered the new mount/nose gear and this is one of the bigger projects that I've been avoiding. I think by the time it gets here that will hopefully be one of the last remaining projects before she heads off to paint.
Working on cowl
Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Interesting Kent, mine required very little tweaking on the sides. There is no way in heck I would even attempt to do metal on the rear. I'm sure it would be way harder to do with the Sika method as well since there is a fair amount of preload in the metal by the sounds of it. I know a guy here that did metal on his -6A and he described the torture it was to accomplish it. I went with four plies of 8.9 oz 8-harness satin found here.

Thanks for the compliments Dan! Ya doing it in metal never even crossed my mind. The only thing I used the metal for was a template to cut the glass haha. So did you end up going with glass in the end if I understand correct?
How much glass will I need to do the rear skirt do you think Jereme?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 07-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Jereme! you will be flying in no time! Great work all around.
Thanks for the compliments! I sure do want to start flying this thing! Hopefully in less than a year.

Quote:
Doing the glass as we speak :-) Well, not this very second but that is what I'm working on.

I ordered the new mount/nose gear and this is one of the bigger projects that I've been avoiding. I think by the time it gets here that will hopefully be one of the last remaining projects before she heads off to paint.
Ya I hear ya, I ordered the new mount/nose gear as well and unless it ships relatively soon I think it is going to start holding me up. After the canopy which probably is only another week max, I was planning on putting her on gear and mounting the engine. Sounds like you're getting close if she is ready for paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
How much glass will I need to do the rear skirt do you think Jereme?
Kent my records on Spruce show that I ordered two yards of the 60" wide stuff. But honestly it was close man! With how cheap it is I would honestly order you up four or even five yards, this fabric has come in real handy on other stuff. I used a couple yards from another order already too on various things.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived