What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connector backshell/strain relief

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
Wiring a 430W, and the back shell with the connector kit doesn't have any strain relief. Or maybe it does, but 3 wires in a back shell sized for a 44 pin connector doesn't quite fill it. Am I missing something here? Looks like I could just fill the little cylinder on the rear of the back shell with to better immobilize the wires. Am I on the right track?

14174eh.jpg

2m5dptx.jpg

2ueirgm.jpg

There is usually a bushing that goes around the wires to provide the strain relief on that type of back shell,
similar to this one
plated_plastic_backshell.jpg

You could also use silicone rubber tape to fill the void.
S894.jpg

Ok, so kinda what I figured. Connector kit didn't have any bushings or anything, so I'll find something to fill the extra space before tightening the ring down. Thanks!

I ran into the same problem, doubled-up with a couple layers of heat shrink in that part and it worked fine. Anything that will immobilize the wires with respect to the backshell (and not fall off later) will work.

Pick up a roll of F4 tape on Amazon = problem solved.

812IWuHxbkL._SL1500_.jpg

Do not let the packaging fool you, this is the same stuff the Aerospace Industry uses only the packaging is different and at a lower price.

I worked 30+ years in the aerospace industry before I retired and this is the package I buy for my own use because it is the same stuff at a lower price with different packaging.

Looks like the same stuff I've been using from SteinAir. Slightly cheaper on Amazon per foot, but I've gotten much better customer service from Stein than Bezos.

Hey Barrett,

I may have some of those bushings if you are willing to wait while I take a look in my hangar. I have a lot of leftover parts from my previous life.

Looks like the same stuff I've been using from SteinAir. Slightly cheaper on Amazon per foot, but I've gotten much better customer service from Stein than Bezos.

Same here. If I have an order coming from Stein, I get it there. When I run out and only need one, Amazon Prime is easy plus fast.

Back