The ADAHRS mount is complete and aligned. This photo was taken after riveting.
You might have been wondering how Iíd hold in in place, and assumed Iíd put screws through the holes on the flanges. That probably would have worked but it wasnít my plan. I felt that it would be too hard to install a screw and a nut, probably nylon or brass, with one hand working through that bulkhead hole. If you look into the hole on this photo, youíll see that itís terribly misaligned.
The misalignment was intentional. The idea is to thread a ty-wrap through it, around the front of the unit, and snug it up from the back. This can be done, I tried it, but it isnít all that easy. But it works. The ty-wrap pulls the ADAHRS forward against that front stop, which serves both to locate it in yaw and position it longitudinally. Thereís a ty-wrap on both sides for a little extra security. This is shown with loose ty-wraps in the next photo.
Moving on to the baggage compartment close-out, which needs to be removable, the manual lists three drawings that supposedly describe it. In fact, none of them refer to it at all. But the RV-4 and RV-8 preview plans say it uses #8 screws. They donít say how many. Since itís not structural, I arbitrarily chose to use four of them.
Here itís shown fitted in place. Amazingly, it fits. Itís not pretty but it fits. I was astonished. Since it does fit, I can almost forgive the poor formed shape that it has. Iíd like to see the tooling that produced that. Take a look around the top contours to see what Iím referring to. Isnít that something?
Well, no complaints here. I signed up for this with a good idea of what I was getting into. I did have to trim the bottom edge to clear the floor.
Thereís zero chance of merely dropping a screw from the close-out into the surrounding bulkhead because although it fits, thereís little in-plane overlap. Brackets are required, so I made four and glued and riveted them on. Here, the glue might help with the overhang. The brackets attach to the front surface of the close-out and extend past the peripheral rim to the bulkhead. The bottom nutplates were installed but at the top, the plywood bulkhead stiffener prevents that for now.
I made the transponder antenna doubler and riveted that in. Thanks to Rick Brennan for bucking help. Itís the gray rectangle above the elevator pushrod.
Iím using Delta Popís ďUltra Low DragĒ antenna, and a pretty thing it is, too. But Iím not mounting it yet.
Incidentally, I checked with the manufacturer of the antenna about priming the skin or the doubler. He said that with hole-filling rivets (that is, the rivets we use) people report good results. Also the antenna base is plastic, not metal.
The left-hand seat belt anchor was mislocated originally. I moved it inboard to a new location, after getting some advice from Support. Thanks Vanís - seven years after buying the kit, theyíre still supporting a discontinued model.
And finally, I figured out where to put the outside air temperature sensor. I understand that there are as many opinions about this as there are RVs, so I took my mentorís advice, and placed it on the F-310 bulkhead, at the forward end of the aft shelf. Itíll be under the tail fairing and easy access to the nearby ADAHRS.
The secondary photo hosting is at here, here, here, this place, and yeah, here, too.