VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM

I know it’s an older thread, but I want to share my experience in case someone trying to pick the collective brain on this issue, like I did.

I am installing a spacer at the intake and needed to replace the studs in the cold sump. The instructions for installing the new studs call for applying a high temperature “permanent/red” thread locker. I suspect so is the case with other studs on the engine that go into an aluminum body. So, I assumed that the original studs that I needed to remove were installed with a “permanent” thread locker. Now, any permanent/red thread locker that I know of requires heat for removal. I guess, with enough brute force, the fastener would come out without heat, but I was afraid that especially with aluminum, brute force might damage the threads in the sump.

To cut to the chase, I carefully applied heat with a small butane torch (just enough for the oily stud to start smoking oil), keeping the flame away from the sump and the studs came right out with the double nut method. I’d be apprehensive trying to force the studs out of aluminum substrate applying much more torque than what is specified for torquing the stud into the hole or bolting a nut onto the stud — that out of fear of stripping/damaging the threads.

I did try first removing a stud without heat and it wouldn’t bulge with a reasonable amount of torque.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:17 PM

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70016-Da...s%2C694&sr=8-3

Worth every penny.
1978 PA38-112
Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 PM

Perhaps. But a point I was trying to make was that as far as removing studs from aluminum or magnesium alloys are concerned, brute force with or without a stud remover/extractor might not be your friend. What’s likely holding the stud stuck is a threadlocker, which needs to be released with heat.