VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-18-2018, 06:48 AM

Nice work going on here! I wish I had started my build at a much younger age as you have.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 06-26-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Nice work going on here! I wish I had started my build at a much younger age as you have.
Thanks. Honestly this is one of the best hobbies I have had. I learn so many skills with every hour I spend thinking about this plane.
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM

Arrow #55

Flaps finished: 40h

I started to repeat each step on the other flap. As one might suspect. It was way easier and went very smoothly without any mistakes.

The plans stress about a straight work bench to avoid a twist. I really don't understand that because with the clecoes in the parts there is no way to lay anything flat so the table doesn't matter. Either, way I have no 100% straight table and the flaps came out great. I had them in my jig for the most part...YMMV

A note about the time I spend building: I read quite a few builders logs for guidance. Most people show their hours spend on each part. I initially decided against tracking my hours because I figured I don't really care how long it takes. But for some reason now I do want to know. I started to watch the time and writing things down in a spreadsheet. Looks like I am much slower than the rest of the guys on the internet...

It took me about 40h for both flaps from start to finish including priming everything with a 2k Primer.

All the riveting on the second flap was done in only 4,5h. For me this is the most fun part of the build. I also like the flaps because they are actually done. I don't have to come back to them and do fiberglass or anything. Completely ready to attach.

Here is a picture of both of my finished flaps in a newly build holder. I have 2 empty places on it for the ailerons. GUESS WHATS NEXT?

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 06-27-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Arrow #56

First day of aileron construction!

It has been a while since I have posted or worked on the plane. They say you should work on it a little bit every day. Well I must admit I didn't do much of anything for about 1 month.

Coming back to the shop and getting all the parts out needed for the ailerons was quite exciting.

Then I realized the first thing the plans has you do are the stiffners...and there are 32 of them. OH boy FUN!

I fabricated this template out of 3mm steel. Took me quite a bit of time to do this.

After some quality time with my hand saw this was done.

After lots of this,

this,

oh yeah! and this,

I turned this:

Into this:

This really was no fun but what are ya gonna do...
Old 11-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Arrow #57

Little update.

I will be working on fixing a friends RV7A for a little bit. I shall be back to work on my wings once that project is back in the air... I will report back

Read here if you are interested: RV-7A Rebuild
Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM

Arrow #58

Hello.... quick update. Nothing really moved forward on my own airplane. In fact it actually went backwards as i gave some build parts to my buddy for his rebuild to save some time to get his RV back in the air. I got new parts for it and the promise I will finally get some right seat time in an actual RV7! Never flown one

In the meantime. I saved up a bit of money and wrote Vans a check for the Fuselage kit! Big decision time here. It will be an RV7-A I went back and forth a lot on this decision and reviewed my mission and while I think the tail dragon is waaay sexyer the nose dragger is just a bit more practical. YMMV of course, but the decision is done.

Also, to give credit where credit is due. Somebody on this forum posted a very nice rolling tool box that insprired me to get one myself. Until now my own project never requried it but since my tools have been at the rebuild project it is actually really convenient to have a tool box that rolls around the airplane once parts get big. Also I just think it is very cool...

So I ordered one of these cheap A** boxes of the world wide web and it came with dents and dings and didn't roll very well.

I then started looking at alternative and it very quickly became obvious that this as most tools go "you get what you pay for" So I ordered anther one for close to tipple the price of the first one.

I then went out and did some "tuning for all my aircraft specific tools.

Desinged it on the computer...

Drilling some wholes...

Final Product!

View from the side...

Some Knippex Love...

Nice little project that made me feel I was working at least a little bit on my own plane although no actual airplane parts were involved.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:00 AM

Thumbs up +1

I used to think I had the coolest rolling tool box around. You have outdone me! Very nice job. I'm impressed.
RV-8, "Miss Izzy", 2200+ RV Hours
Track Me *** Gold Hill Airpark (NC25)
VAF 2019 Donor
"Flying makes me feel like a sex maniac in a whorehouse with a stack of $20 bills." Pancho Barnes
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 AM

Very impressed indeed, nicely done. Gives me something to think about for when I have a garage big enough to wheel one around.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Default best toolbox ever

Well I could easily join the line and congrat you to your impressiv toolbox. But honnestly, what kind of plane are you realy building, if you think you will need this armada of wrenches?
On the other handside... waiting sucks. I ordered all sub kits for my RV-12 4 months ago and they left the factory just yesterday. Don't ask what I did all winter instead of building....
D-MDRV RV-12 #121128 enpenage kit
Donation made til August2109
WTB HomebuiltHelp DVD's for RV-12

Last edited by Major-Tom : 03-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major-Tom View Post
But honestly, what kind of plane are you realy building, if you think you will need this armada of wrenches?
Hahaha you are funny... in my defense I am building the "best" kind of plane haha (an RV!) and the top row of those wrenches are in metric sized and the rest are those "funny" sizes that keep confusing me...