VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2019, 10:07 PM

I am a "local" and attended on Friday and again on Sunday (just to catch the airshow, which was excellent). Copperstate has been a great fly in historically. They have struggled a little in recent years. First with really hot weather (traditionally held in October). Second, the last two years in was held at Falcon Field which is a really nice airport but is a Class D under the Phx Class B. That keep some people out (with great airplanes), especially folks flying classics without Mode C or challenging (i.e. bad) performing radios. Buckeye is a good alternative as it is just outside the Mode C Veil and uncontrolled. Nice long, wide, and smooth runway also. Biggest problem this year in my opinion was that the website pilot guidance suggested that the showplane parking was for airplanes to be judged (only). Many nice experimental aircraft got put out in the well manicured dirt parking (me included on Friday). There was a LOT of room on the asphalt show plane area. I think they should have loaded that area up with experimentals and classics before sending people to the south forty dirt area. When I went back on Sunday I had my sign for "showplane" parking and got a nice spot on the relatively uncluttered asphalt ramp. I enjoyed the show and appreciate the effort that the volunteers put into it. Hopefully it can be brought back to its former glory days when it was at Casa Grande, Phoenix Regional, and Eloy (dating myself now). I will continue to support Copperstate and hope others will do the same.
Eagle II N92CE (sold)
Hiperbipe N777HT (sold)
PA22-160 N9322D (sold)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:56 PM

Default I like the location except for the smell

I got parked in the dirt as well. Not too happy about that on Sunday. Good small show, and yes.... they could use actual electric lights in the exhibitor building. Even solar... it is AZ after all.
Mitch laughed about the comment on Van's AF. He showed my wife the 14. He was very polite when I told her it was a 12. Forgot my glasses, or brain.
The traffic on the way in used the radios just the way they should. Well done pilots.
See ya next year !!

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes and Helicopter Instructor law enforcement tactical radio systems. Blessed to fly my RV9A to work every week.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Here's the link to the photos I took at the event on Saturday.

I think the crowds were pretty good on Saturday during the airshow. It was a bit chilly this year!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Guy View Post
I walked the complete ramp area. It was conspicuously absent of RV's typical of such an event. There were more canard type planes in various flavors than RV's. Never seen that before. There is plenty of parking but much of it on freshly graded dirt and vigorously wet down. No wind fortunately.
That was my experience too. I met plenty of friends from the canard aircraft community (almost a dozen) but basically zero RV'ers. When I left Sunday before the airshow my white aircraft was filthy from the water trucks and dirt.

Quote:
... glad that I never made the trek out from Indiana for it. Kind of a dud, IMO. ...
Kind of depends on one's perspective. I made the trek down from Oregon and was not sorry. I kept busy (and warm) by volunteering with RV/camper hosting and the composites forums. Free lunch for volunteers! The size of the crowds didn't prevent me from seeing what I needed to see from the vendors and I found a bargain at the fly-mart. The airshows and that ridiculous twin-Yak with a jet engine -- meh. But I loved seeing and hearing the F-35 fly-over as well as the occasional 2-ships in tactical spread headed out to the ranges. Glad I came.

Now I'm "recuperating" in a motel in Benson, AZ (E95). The airport seems mostly deserted but maybe things are happening behind closed hangar doors. As the OP I'd like to repeat my original request and would enjoy meeting others here and flying out if possible. (503) 383-1205.

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM

I too enjoyed the fly-in and the airshow. Good idea to combine the two and bring in the public, for free. You can’t be too judgemental of regional events, they need our support. Great job Joe!
It was worth the trip for me, then I hightailed it home between storms Sunday.
As a side note, I joined the 200 knot club again on the way down. On the way home I could have joined the flying backwards club in a 99mph wind but it was too cold up high to take the time to turn the needed 90 degrees. Then I did record the flight level 180 for the club standing. Might post these to the corresponding threads.
Cheers to all that made the effort to go. It was nice to see some familiar faces like Bruce and meet some new ones.

Last edited by BruceEicher : 02-11-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 PM

Neat photos, Bruce! Some cloud cover/rain near Cable kept me from making it out there.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2019
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM

The wife and I flew down there from Prescott (short trip) Sunday in the Lancair. Parked in the muddy dirt, didn't like that at all. I'm glad we didn't take the Staggerwing. Not as many planes there as I expected but the airshow wasn't bad for a small event. The vendor hanger had no lights.. Very odd. And there were empty spaces. The fuel was higher than I was lead to believe. The uAvionics guy was rude and didn't have a clue, most everyone else was nice and helpful. Sunday was a good day to talk to the vendors. The Buckeye airport crew were A1. Luke & Phoenix approach very nice. I don't think I'd fly a long distance for Copper State but it was a decent local show. BTW.. Being outside all day in the middle of cattle holding facilities... Stinks... Summer there would be unbearable.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
The wife and I flew down there from Prescott (short trip) Sunday in the Lancair. Parked in the muddy dirt, didn't like that at all. I'm glad we didn't take the Staggerwing. Not as many planes there as I expected but the airshow wasn't bad for a small event. The vendor hanger had no lights.. Very odd. And there were empty spaces. The fuel was higher than I was lead to believe. The uAvionics guy was rude and didn't have a clue, most everyone else was nice and helpful. Sunday was a good day to talk to the vendors. The Buckeye airport crew were A1. Luke & Phoenix approach very nice. I don't think I'd fly a long distance for Copper State but it was a decent local show. BTW.. Being outside all day in the middle of cattle holding facilities... Stinks... Summer there would be unbearable.
I had a long discussion with the UAvionics 'guy'. Once he figured out that I was an EE, He opened up about the technology and politics of ADS-B. He wasn't trying to sell me anything. Perhaps you met someone else.

V
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post

I think the crowds were pretty good on Saturday during the airshow. It was a bit chilly this year!
Bruce, Thanks for the very nice photo tour. Jim
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post

Thank You so much for the photos Bruce! I was trying to get down there but it didn't happen.
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid in Feb anyway