What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging up front headsets

DJP

Well Known Member
Has anyone found a "stock" method of hanging up the headset for the front seats. I have seen some some pictures of RV-10's that have the headsets hanging from the center bar that goes into the dash panel but I think most of those were custom made, I could do that but would like to buy a stock one off the shelf if at all possible. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Don

How do they mount?

My question exactly! I went to the AeroSport site but other than a picture they do not show how it is attached to the overhead. If you had a overhead panel, it would be easy but I do not have one, the top is the top so to speak, so how does it attach. I have sent a message to AeroSport asking for more information.
Don

My question exactly! I went to the AeroSport site but other than a picture they do not show how it is attached to the overhead. If you had a overhead panel, it would be easy but I do not have one, the top is the top so to speak, so how does it attach. I have sent a message to AeroSport asking for more information.
Don

They have metal thread inserts that you install in the fiberglass cabin cover. Works great.

I went ahead and ordered the headset hangar. Heck, I built an entire airplane so I guess I can figure a way to attach it to the fiberglass "ceiling" of the baggage compartment. I'm s-o-o-o-o tired of tossing my headset on the passenger seat.

Simple solution

Other than the necessity of front seat shoulder belt hangers, I never liked stuff hanging from the overhead.

This is what I did. Simple, cheap, and does the job. This thin wall aluminum tubing extends a few inches on either side of the engine control bracket to hold the pilot and co-pilot headsets. There is no issue with hitting them when getting in or out of the plane. The short piece of vinyl tubing was added just to keep the edge of the aluminum from hitting the headset padding.
Carl
Headset-holder.jpg

I too used some soft aluminum tubing but in a different way.

Quickly and crudely I fashioned 2 large hooks, maybe 3" tip to shaft gap, and blind riveted them to edges of bulkhead behind the firewall. They are up and out of sight.

Then it's a very easy but blind hanging of the headsets on them between flights. No sun exposure, no exposure to wandering eyes. No interference when only one is in use.

Headset hangars

Email me and I'll send you some pics of ones we developed for the RV10s. Not on the market yet and we really haven't priced them. I have a set in my 10 that has no overhead console and a set in another with the console. They are really cool looking and we also hang our shoulder straps on then on the front.

I prefer to not hang my headsets in the sun (e.g., on a rollover bar hook). They can get too hot to wear initially and its hard on the electronics and materials. Somewhere in the shaded footwells works better for me. For the cabin-topped RV-10 this may not be an issue.

Back