What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

15 Years Ago...

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I was cleaning up a PC today and found some old photos of my first flight and some tuft testing a few months later. Has it really been 15 years already? Time certainly flies...

Yay! 15 years, and probably one of the few RV's in Canada with legal registration marks... :)

Outstanding. Time sure does fly. Have to ask a question. What am I looking at that looks like it?s taped to the left side engine cowling. It?s got me puzzled.:confused:

Outstanding. Time sure does fly. Have to ask a question. What am I looking at that looks like it’s taped to the left side engine cowling. It’s got me puzzled.:confused:

The aircraft was a test bed for engine, EFI and cooling experiments so lots of temporary sheet metal was taped on while pressure and temperature measurements were taken in flight. If something worked, I'd build it in composite and put it on permanently. The exits on the cowling sides improved the intercooler and radiator performance somewhat.

This is the latest configuration which dispenses with a lot of the other scoops and heat exchanges of the earlier cooling setup and replaces them with a single ventral rad and scoop. Lighter, better cooling and less drag.

Ross,

Your SDS EFI systems have more than stood the test of time, they have constantly improved.

Your support of experimental aviation has been tremendous.

Thank you and congratulations!!!

Charlie

We had some snow last week which put a damper on flying but today was sunny and a little cool (-10C) so while I had a spare hour, I cranked up the RV after hooking up the heater hoses a couple weeks ago.

It was glass smooth and severe clear with a great view of the snow covered Rockies about 40 miles away. Lovely.

The heater was roasting me out with only one duct open and the control cracked about 25%. Coolant temps stayed around 160F until I pull back the power for landing, dropping to 145. Half the rad is blanked off and the exit door stayed closed the whole time.

Back