- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Machine countersinking:F-14148A

When I prepared F-1414A, I did not double check the depth of the countersink on a scrap in a # 40 hole. Let me just say, you may not want to order that part again, if you forget the basic steps in countersinking🤪
Not deep enough is fixable. To deep . . . Well, plan on a moment of interspection at best! Yikes - after building a “completed” airplane, than this!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Hartnell View Post
When I prepared F-1414A, I did not double check the depth of the countersink on a scrap in a # 40 hole. Let me just say, you may not want to order that part again, if you forget the basic steps in countersinking🤪
Not deep enough is fixable. To deep . . . Well, plan on a moment of interspection at best! Yikes - after building a “completed” airplane, than this!!!
Other than cosmetics and the loss of .001 knots of speed, any reason not to use universal head rivets?
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Other than cosmetics and the loss of .001 knots of speed, any reason not to use universal head rivets?
Greetings.

I don't see the advantage of doing so. By the time you get around to installing the parts associated with the SB, you'll have developed the skills to manage it with confidence. And if you do make a mistake, those same skills can be brought to bear to address the error.

Countersinking the F-14148A Skin Doubler (the diamond plate) is straightforward. Use something underneath it with a #40 hole so the pilot on your c/s bit has somewhere to go. Use additional material on the side of the plate so your c/s cage stays normal to the surface

Doing the same as above for the F-14148B/C Stiffener Doublers (the ones that accept the dimples of the J-stiffener), you can follow also the advice on page 05-08:
For a dimpled skin riveted onto a machine countersunk surface the countersink must be slightly deeper as mentioned earlier. Proper depth is .007 deeper than when the rivet head is flush. This depth correction corresponds to seven "clicks" on a microstop countersink tool indexed in .001 inch increments.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-14E View Post
Greetings.

I don't see the advantage of doing so. By the time you get around to installing the parts associated with the SB, you'll have developed the skills to manage it with confidence. And if you do make a mistake, those same skills can be brought to bear to address the error.

Countersinking the F-14148A Skin Doubler (the diamond plate) is straightforward. Use something underneath it with a #40 hole so the pilot on your c/s bit has somewhere to go. Use additional material on the side of the plate so your c/s cage stays normal to the surface

Doing the same as above for the F-14148B/C Stiffener Doublers (the ones that accept the dimples of the J-stiffener), you can follow also the advice on page 05-08:
For a dimpled skin riveted onto a machine countersunk surface the countersink must be slightly deeper as mentioned earlier. Proper depth is .007 deeper than when the rivet head is flush. This depth correction corresponds to seven "clicks" on a microstop countersink tool indexed in .001 inch increments.
No news here: I was asking the question to make a point really - and part of the point is that universal head rivets in a low-visibility area do no harm.

Last edited by mturnerb : 11-03-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:01 AM

After 25 years of riveting I do not make very many riveting mistakes, but if I do, it is usually a smile on a universal head. Given a choice I will always take flush headed rivets. Best in this location to follow the plans.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 11-03-2018, 05:36 PM

On the belly, a universal head rivet will be an oil collection point. Even a less-than-flush flush rivet will do so. I believe using a universal would be a regrettable shortcut. YMMV

RV-14A Builder - kit #136, XP-400 Aero Sport Power
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, >350 hrs
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 11/2017
Old 11-04-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
On the belly, a universal head rivet will be an oil collection point. Even a less-than-flush flush rivet will do so. I believe using a universal would be a regrettable shortcut. YMMV
There are already a number of non-flush (Cherry Max) rivets on the belly of an RV14/14A. I’m not advocating this particular approach but I don’t think a handful more rivets with a little oil to wipe off from time to time is going to be a source of regret or angst or even much of a second thought. We’re getting into primer war territory here. Amusing.

Last edited by mturnerb : 11-04-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:16 PM

Finished the SB install, about 1 hour. My tailcone was completely built but not yet joined the the fuselage. I back-riveted with the tailcone on the ground, very easy.

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
Old 11-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I'm very interested in seeing a picture of the actual cracks as well. I see the service bulletin adds a single shear splice plate connecting the forward and aft center stiffener across the F-01408 bulkhead. It also has a couple of tension fittings that connect the F-01486-L/R stiffeners directly to the same bulkhead.

Were the cracks located on the skin at these three stiffeners? Greg, perhaps you can post a picture?
Sorry for the slow response. These reference images are to hopefully provide some additional location context for those reviewing the 18-09-17 service bulletin. These particular photos are of the Van's factory demo RV-14. Cracks were found on both of our RV-14 demo aircraft (conventional and tricycle models) here at the factory, as was described earlier. No meaningful difference between the two aircraft in terms of cracks/size/location/etc.

Opinions, information and comments posted by me are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not represent direction/opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Flying spam can, helped build/fly a few RV-12s and some other RVs
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 11-09-2018, 04:15 PM

I completed this project this week and found it to be challenging only because I am 6'1" 200 lbs and 67 years old. it was very difficult to get enough leverage to squeeze the 470-4 rivets, the rest not too bad. Two man job, took 1.5 hours.