What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder

galt1074

Hello!!

I am now RV-7 builder 74755!!
I've ordered the tail kit, a couple of tool box and practice kits, a set of Cleveland tools and I've reset my garage from a woodshop to an aircraft factory.
The catch? I'm US military serving in the UK right now so everything takes a while and everything is just a little "off" when it comes to tools, shipping, and many other things.
I've signed up for the Vans forums here in the UK, but I'm US so my shipping is a little different, and there's a number of things that are a little different from my British counterparts.
I'll also have the fun of shipping this thing back to the US in a few years when I move back...we'll see how far I get before that day comes.

As my tail kit is supposed to arrive in a few days, is there any advice you guys would like to give a new guy?
I haven't decided for sure tail or nose-dragger, pretty sure it will be a tip-up, and I guess I'll prime due to the weather here in the UK and the fact it's going on a boat across the Atlantic someday.

Looking forward to the adventure. I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

Greg LeCrone
RV Builder 74755

Welcome to the crowd of builders.

I made many mistakes along the road to completing my RV-7. Most from not really reading the instructions and understanding exactly what was coming next. The tail instructions are pretty complete but as you progress the instructions are less detailed. I'm pretty sure I wasted more time frabricating parts a second time than I would have ever spent slowing down.

At times my military service brought my project to a stop. Sometimes for over a year. Hang in there it will get done.

Good luck

Welcome

Welcome, congratulations and thank you for your service.
Feel free to look at my blog. Url is in my signature.
At this point, you don't know, what you don't know so the best advise I would offer is read, read, read. This site rocks. Review all the 7 threads and search for newbie threads about any topic you need information.

Welcome to the community!

A few tips I have learned. Before building and drilling I like to search the part number in google. For example: site:www.vansairforce.com hs-00001 will yield a lot of reading material for where the horizontal stabilizer spars meet each other. I am now approaching the end of the metal work for the aircraft and I will still say that this area was the hardest. I don't mean hard in that a person can't do it, but it needs to be very well thought out and there is no margin for error on a few of them rivet holes. I had to do this area three times as have many others. So take your time in this area for sure and fully understand the drawings.

Second tip, don't be afraid to ask questions! There are a few on the forum that may chastise you for "not searching" but I certainly won't as well as many others. Don't forget you can send PM messages too, feel free to PM me anytime!

Third tip, if you are jamming to music while working in the shop and go to brush off a piece of aluminum from your shirt just know that it may be a wasp that is ready to party. Ask me how I know... :D

Thank you!

Everyone, thanks for the warm welcome and for the tips.

If there's anyone around that can tell me about primer options in the UK I'd appreciate some advice. I'd like to use the stuff that Vans uses on the quickbuilds, which I hear is Sherwin Williams P60 but it doesn't look like I can get it here in the UK. There are some acid etch options (Upol) but nothing like P60.
Even better, if anyone can convince me not to prime I'd prefer that. If I were building in the US I don't know that I would, but when I moved over here and shipped my stuff across the ocean about half of what I owned was corroded. I know I just stepped into the infamous primer wars, but it really is a tough decision.

Appreciate the advice on searching by part number for advice. I hadn't thought of that.
I will try to take my time but I'm afraid I'll fall victim to the excitement at times. I expect to make mistakes...hope to minimize the ones that require ordering another part. Shipping gets expensive to the other side of the Pond.

I'll report back when the kit gets here!

Greg LeCrone

Alodine

Can you get Alodine?
If I build another, I would Alodine every part before assembly and not apply primer.
It's pretty nasty stuff but zero weight.

Alodine

Larry,

You're right, alodine is nasty stuff and as much as it appeals to me for weight and protection, I won't touch the stuff. I'm not an expert but after reading the MSDS and reading some of what's been written about it (the Erin Brokovich case was based on the same chemical I think) I don't believe I could protect myself, my family, or my neighbors sufficiently to make me feel right about it. But I'm not an expert.
All that aside, it and most of it's off-shoots appear to have been banned in the EU. Iridite NCP appears to be the safer alternative that the EU has adopted but I have yet to find a supplier that sells to individuals.
I'd prefer a conversion finish but I may have to spray Stewart Systems or something similar.

Greg

Hi Greg, I'm based in the UK too, near Heathrow. I and a few other local builders are using Aerowave 2001 which is a water-based 2-part epoxy primer. It is easy to spray and tough as nails, both mechanically and chemically, if you clean and scuff the surface properly before applying. However I haven't tried anything else (except rattle-can which scratches off too easily) so you shouldn't consider me an expert. I do believe that some sort of primer is necessary in the UK climate. For prep, I just scuff with Scotchbrite, wash with Polyfiber 310 alkaline cleaner and rinse with a hose.

Good ideas

Andy, thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at Aerowave before and it looks like a good product. I"m assuming you mix the two parts together and have to let it sit for a while like other epoxy primers correct? Do you have any idea how heavy it is compared to other products? I don't want to be over-cautious but I'm trying to know as much as I can before I make a decision.

JoopSJ, that's a great idea! I hadn't heard of that product before. Do you use it? Can you tell me about your experience with it? I'll do some research but I'd love to hear practical experience as well.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Greg

For Aerowave 2001 you just mix the parts, stir and then spray. I have used about 6 liters so far, with wings and tail done, about half way into the fuselage. I would guess that at least 25% of that is wasted either left over due to over-estimating how much to mix, or from overspray. So lets say 6 liters ends up on the aircraft - that's about 6 kg or 12 lbs. I don't think it's too bad given the protection it provides.

Andy

Welcome Aboard

Hello!!

I am now RV-7 builder 74755!!
I've ordered the tail kit, a couple of tool box and practice kits, a set of Cleveland tools and I've reset my garage from a woodshop to an aircraft factory.
The catch? I'm US military serving in the UK right now so everything takes a while and everything is just a little "off" when it comes to tools, shipping, and many other things.
I've signed up for the Vans forums here in the UK, but I'm US so my shipping is a little different, and there's a number of things that are a little different from my British counterparts.
I'll also have the fun of shipping this thing back to the US in a few years when I move back...we'll see how far I get before that day comes.

As my tail kit is supposed to arrive in a few days, is there any advice you guys would like to give a new guy?
I haven't decided for sure tail or nose-dragger, pretty sure it will be a tip-up, and I guess I'll prime due to the weather here in the UK and the fact it's going on a boat across the Atlantic someday.

Looking forward to the adventure. I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

Greg LeCrone
RV Builder 74755

Greg,
It is the adventure of a lifetime and a massive personal achievement.
Love every aspect of it.
The good, the bad & the ugly.

There is solace in knowing you have 20,000 e-helpers.

Daddyman
Dues +

Enjoy the ride as best you can

This is an adventure!! There will be highs and the there WILL be lows. You will have triumphs and you will have disasters. Understand that this is part of the process and frankly building one of these things takes a good number of hours in your life.
Remember half the fun is in getting there. So be sure to enjoy all the aspects of the build, even when they aren’t positive.

Everyone has a build story

Back