VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-29-2018, 12:43 PM

Vlad!
I'm turning blue with suspense. Did you make Dutch Harbor? Pictures?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 PM

Talking Akutan Zero

Avatanak island followed by Rootok. For some those chunks of rock mean nothing but for aviators of WWII every landable spot was gold.

Lost Harbor of Akun island. I've heard the beach there is hard enough at low tide.

Akutan Island airport PAUT perfect runway with a dip in the middle. A controversial project. A certain corporate jet with certain seafood company doesn't like to land there. They go to Dutch Harbor instead I understand why.

Past Akun Strait lies Akutan Island. There is a large fish processing facility and old defunct whaling station.

Not far from there back in 1942 a 19 years old Japanese fighter Tadayoshi Koga crash landed his Zero. It was recovered in several weeks and brought to a US research facility. I was fully restored and studied.

A Japanese submarine assigned to recover downed airmen was waiting in that bight for days...

I had plenty of fuel and time to spare. So I circled Akutan Peak another active volcano. Then I hopped over Akutan Pass toward Unalga.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 07-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 PM

Hello Unalaska! We made it. 10 minutes out I hear an airport maintenance crew talking to Cold Bay radio to NOTAM field closed for 20 minutes. No biggie let's fly around take a look. Beaver Inlet.

Udagak Strait all the prominent landmarks I remember by heart. Those years of preparations payed off.

Here is a glimpse of Dutch Harbor runway. Carved in the rock.

The sprout of the village toward Pyramid Peak.

The curfew was lifted, I closed my DVFR flight plan with Cold Bay Radio, remotely locked the gates on both sides of the runway and joined final 31.

Now the fun part. The runway has three windsocks. Two at both approach ends always show tailwind and one in the middle indicates cross wind. Man, I've been to come places but this is crazy. I am a kind of heavy, going a bit faster then usual and with over 10 kts on the tail I go around...

You can't go around at Dutch dang fog lays at 50 feet. So I scoot under the layer making a 270 something degree turn aiming at the numbers 13... barely touched down at one third and locked the brakes. Sloppy job very sloppy. BillR do you think a TW and CS would help?

I was met by the airport manager he advised on tie down spot. An RVator from Florida already booked a room at Grand Aleutian Hotel for me.

It was a nice walk to the hotel. Another layer of fog rolled in...

Today's mission was accomplished. Tomorrow weather forecast looks stellar. I will go flying.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-30-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:17 PM

Default Fantastic!

Great adventure, Vlad! Thanks for bringing us along!

Merrill
Old 06-30-2018, 08:18 AM

Grand Aleutian Hotel is very nice. Plan $250 per day to stay in it. There are cheaper options but I was not aware of them.

Rita, a front desk lady, told me there is a restaurant on second floor called Chart Room. Go there, she said, a dinner is waiting for you already paid. It's good to have friends thank you!

Back to the room for another drink. Jeff, one of the Manatawny distillery owners, personally brought me a bottle of his best super proof whiskey before my departure. Good stuff thanks Jeff and Co!

Rested well. The morning was foggy but locals said it would clear in couple hours. Room with a view. Normally you can see the airport.

A cool street art.

Not far from the hotel there is Museum of the Aleutians. I spent over an hour there the exhibitions are quite unique.

A light wind started tearing fog apart. Time to go to the airport.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:25 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Resistance is futile.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-30-2018, 09:12 AM

It's a nice 15 minutes walk from the Grand Aleutian Hotel to the airport. Traffic is light and there is a wide shoulder.

Airport has some scheduled services but flights were canceled for the last few days due to winds and visibility. Many of workmen were stuck at the hotel. When some learned that small planes are flying in and out (my RV) they weren't happy.

Cool WWII building and a small museum. Unfortunately it was closed for couple days.

On the ramp I had several visitors I enjoyed. A Penair office manager came with his assistant then some pilots. Everybody was curious what kind of airplane was that. Matt, a local mechanic, called his buddy Tom and asked if he has avgas for sale. Surely Tom had. Excellent now I can fly over the island as long as I want. Notice the windsock?

I backtaxi to the other end of the runway. Now take a look again.

Wind wasn't bad I lifted off at the middle of the runway and rolled toward Mt Ballyhoo.

There are WWII fortifications near the top of the mountain. The big guns were removed but bunkers looked really cool. Do you see an active volcano?

Some tourists made it all the way up I circled them. Guys waived and it seemed they had a blast.

Then I climbed the volcano.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Resistance is futile.

Exactly what I was thinking!!
Dues paid Dec 17
Old 06-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Resistance is futile.

Vlad saves humanity by discovering that the Borg has assimilated the Aleutians. Resistance apparently was not futile.

A local taxidermist was called to preserve the evidence.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 06-30-2018, 12:22 PM

My grandfather was stationed in Dutch Harbor during WWII. He was a Navy Chief and told me lots of stories about how he and his buddies stole the officer's whiskey while unloading the supply ships. The crane operator would pause the load for a moment as it passed an interior deck, and his co-conspirators would grab cases of whiskey. The enlisted men only got beer, which they would stash in the snowbank outside their barracks. Grandpa said each spring they'd find a few bottles that had gotten lost in the snow. Somewhere around her I have a chunk of pumice stone that he brought back from there.