What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Very poor braking

Georges G

I have made my firsts taxi and I was surprised with the very poor braking
action.
Above 1600 rpm the plane start to move.
What is your feeling with your brakes?

You need to "bed" or condition the break pads for proper grip. Look for the procedure in your documentation for the breaks.

IIRC, you need to apply moderate break pressure while running the engine at a high power setting while taxiing slowly for about 500 feet. This will heat up the pads and disk. Then allow everything to cool down.

Next, perform a full power run-up and see if the breaks hold. If not, perform the bedding procedure again, let cool, and then the full,power run up. Should be good to go at this point.

It is best to do this procedure with the wheel pants off.

Brakes

You need to "bed" or condition the break pads for proper grip. Look for the procedure in your documentation for the breaks.

IIRC, you need to apply moderate break pressure while running the engine at a high power setting while taxiing slowly for about 500 feet. This will heat up the pads and disk. Then allow everything to cool down.

Next, perform a full power run-up and see if the breaks hold. If not, perform the bedding procedure again, let cool, and then the full,power run up. Should be good to go at this point.

It is best to do this procedure with the wheel pants off.

If one gets them too hot it will cause the resin to come out of the material and by doing so will ruin the pads. That causes two things poor braking and squeeling brakes. Same for cars had that problem for years while working on them.

Back