What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bay Area recommendations

carterdawson

I'm New Here
Hi, I have an RV-7. and am moving to the Bay Area (Palo Alto) for the summer. (May - Aug), and possibly permanently. Currently, the airplane is hangared at MYF in San Diego, and I'm looking to bring it up in late May.

I'd like to bring the airplane up, and could use some recommendations:

1. Where to put the plane? Hangared, if at all possible (the airplane has spent less than 10 nights outdoors in its entire life).
2. Any formation folks out there? We have a pretty active group at RNM, and I'd love to finish out my card.
3. Any acro going on anywhere?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Shaun

Good Luck

Hi, I have an RV-7. and am moving to the Bay Area (Palo Alto) for the summer. (May - Aug), and possibly permanently.

1. Where to put the plane? Hangared, if at all possible (the airplane has spent less than 10 nights outdoors in its entire life).

Best of luck with that. Most of the airports in the Bay Area have a hangar waiting list on the order of years. My hangar in San Carlos I waited nearly 6 years to get. I happen to know the waiting list for a shade hangar at Livermore was recently down to a handful of people. You might check the outlying airports like Livermore, Reid-Hillview, Petaluma, etc. At Palo Alto and San Carlos the waiting list is quite long. You might call some of the private companies around if you want a short-term rental. I know someone that rents space in a corporate hangar over in Hayward, but it is definitely not cheap (on the order of $800-$1000/month). Maybe you can get lucky with someone that is leaving the Bay Area for the summer and wants to sub-lease.

3. Any acro going on anywhere?

There is an active acro box out in the Central Valley not far from Tracy Airport. I would check in with the folks at Attitude Aviation at Livermore. They certainly have their finger on the pulse of the acro work going on in the area.

I'm at Hayward, which is one of the cheaper of the Bay area airports.

There are waiting lists for all types of city-ownedhangars, but none less than 6-12 months.

There are some private box hangars 1400 sq.ft for about $1000/month. Tie-downs are $60/month with day use of the maintenance shelter included.

I'm at Oakland Airport and we have two different hangar types. There's the newer ones that has a very short waiting list but have no power unless you're next to a light pole and don't mind jerry rigging 5 amps from an extension cord. Plus the doors don't seal at all, the ceilings barely let you get a 182 inside. Everytime there is a wind storm one of them winds up getting damaged.

The other older hangars are the more desired ones. I've been on the waiting list for 2.5 years now. I'm expecting my name to come up in probably a year. They have power and are much larger.

In general the port of Oakland isn't really GA friendly. One Gulfstream pays them more per year in tax and fuel than all of us combined.

- Kilroy

Livermore has a waiting list. I'm not sure how long it is right now. You can check online. Byron was shorter when I got my hangar. I was going to go there and then somehow I popped to the top at livermore. Byron didn't have a fee to get on the list so it's worth it to put your name on the list. Livermore has a small fee to get on the list. I thought recently there was mention of an open hangar in Hayward here on VAF. You might do a search.

RHV hangar waiting list was not very long when I saw it a few years ago. I was also able to get a second hangar there temporarily with little notice when I needed it (also a few years ago). There are also non-enclosed shelters. The lists are not online, give them a call.

Thank you so much everyone for the help!

I have moved to toown, and it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I really appreciate the pointers.

Shaun

Hi, I have an RV-7. and am moving to the Bay Area (Palo Alto) for the summer. (May - Aug), and possibly permanently. Currently, the airplane is hangared at MYF in San Diego, and I'm looking to bring it up in late May.

I'd like to bring the airplane up, and could use some recommendations:

2. Any formation folks out there? We have a pretty active group at RNM, and I'd love to finish out my card.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Shaun

Contact the West Coast Ravens and they will fix you up with others that fly formation n the area.

Check 'south county' airport (San Martin sp?) next to HWY 101 South of San Jose.
I hear from a friend that they have empty hangars because the prices are high... he said the county doesn't care if the hangars are fully utilized, only that they get the income - apparently less work for them if they keep prices high and have less than full occupancy, but same money...

Back