- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 PM

Default Top Skin and Canopy Decks

In order to finalize the position of the ribs and sub panel, I made a bunch of small angles that spanned the notches/had the cutouts required for the sub panel and stiffener.

With the assembly somewhat rigid, I felt comfortable working on the top skin...

The outside curves of the sub panel, and the longeron to top skin holes were the only ones that needed to be back drilled.

With the skin ready for trimming/deburring/dimpling, I set it aside to work on initial fitting of the canopy decks.

When it was finally time to clean up this evening, the canopy decks were both ready for final deburring/notch cleaning, and countersinking.

Opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 PM

Default Drilling, drilling, drilling

RV-6 Update:

Iíve been taking advantage of the (rare) Oregon sunshine the past several weeks surfing and biking, but managing to get some RV-6 construction done in the evenings after work.

Did a bit with the baggage floor and forward seat pans...

Cut out some bulkhead stiffeners, and got the top J stringers temporarily riveted in place...

Began to fit rear aft top skin...

I ran out of edge distance with a few rivets near the forward end, so decided to remake the aft skin from an extra sheet of 2024.
Initially slightly bigger than the first one, the holes transferred in just a couple minutes.

The front aft-skin was much quicker and had better drill access.

Of course then I had to throw the forward top skin on, the seats in, and the baggage floor in to make it look like Iíd made some real progress.

Plenty of drilling/hole layout to go, but such is the life of pre-pre-punched RV construction. Iím looking forward to fabricating less parts, and riveting more assemblies in the future!

Opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdeman View Post
RV-6 Update:
Plenty of drilling/hole layout to go, but such is the life of pre-pre-punched RV construction. Iím looking forward to fabricating less parts, and riveting more assemblies in the future!
Being a -7 builder I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of work it must be to get this thing drilled straight. That said I enjoy seeing your Fuse come together. Looking like an airplane already..
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Being a -7 builder I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of work it must be to get this thing drilled straight. That said I enjoy seeing your Fuse come together. Looking like an airplane already..
I do however envy never having to worry about holes not lining up.

By the way your work looks really good!
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Lookin good, t-man. You get yourself wedged into in those seat frames and make airplane sounds yet?

Opinions, information and comments posted by me on this site are my own unless I specifically state otherwise. They do not represent direction from or opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since September 2014 (N88VX reserved)
VAF build thread - Flickr project photo album - Project Facebook page
Flying spam can, helped build and fly a few RV-12s and some other RVs
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)

Old 07-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Hey! How is the project coming along? Are you about to hang the engine? Just kidding, I get that a lot...

Looking very good.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM

Default Back to Building

It's getting too cold to surf, friends are heading back to university, and the mountain bike trails are still beat out from the summer of riding. That means it's time to get back on the build after several months of enjoying life outside the hangar.

First few items to take care of were small things I had been putting off a while, and a great chance to try out some of the new machine tools in the hangar.

My old (1994, non powder-coated) flap handle had some pretty deep corrosion pits on one of the arms. So I ground down the effected areas, and welded on a small patch of tube.

IMG_9197

Primed it, and then machined the slot for the manual flap-positioning mechanism, and also shortened the handle a few inches.

IMG_9227

I had already fit the flap bearing blocks on the outboard ends, but the middle bearing block sits part on the baggage floor, and part on the seat pan/tunnel. Rather than shim it with washers and have nutplates/fasteners out of plane with the surfaces, I machined a small set of wedges which got riveted to the tunnel cover, and to the seat rib, allowing the nutplates, bearing block, and bolt to all sit flat/vertical.

IMG_9230

I don't have a great vise for the mill, so starting with angle makes for easy work holding on small parts.

IMG_9237

(Ignore the too short, unset rivet in the above photo. It was used for aligning purposes only)

This should keep the fasteners happy.

IMG_9239

I wasn't happy with the previously made angle for the attach of the horizontal stab. Edge distance under the longerons was getting small, and these holes had to be further upsized for the AN-3 bolts.

The mill was already dirty, so I figured I might as well knock out a new one which could maintain every (thousandth) of an inch possible under there.

IMG_9215

IMG_9214

The original aft baggage side-panels did not fit real well (flanges would not sit flush with all mating surfaces), so I bent a new set on the brake which fit much better.

IMG_8904

Next is finalizing the custom seat pans (accommodating the 1" lowered seat ribs), and then some interior items might be going on permanently!

It's been a lot of making parts thus far, but one of these days the rivet gun is going to come out for more than a few whacks

IMG_9240

Canopy frame and baggage bulkhead coming soon.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Thanks! A lot of it just comes down to work holding and throwing on more clamps than you think you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I do however envy never having to worry about holes not lining up.

By the way your work looks really good!
Thanks Jereme, seeing your surge of progress was more than motivational to get out there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Lookin good, t-man. You get yourself wedged into in those seat frames and make airplane sounds yet?
Sure have! The more parts that get put in, the louder the noises seem to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Hey! How is the project coming along? Are you about to hang the engine? Just kidding, I get that a lot...

Looking very good.
Kent, your progress is also looking good, and an appreciated reminder to keep moving forward