VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-07-2018, 10:53 AM

One of the less expensive ways to get a pilots license is to buy an airplane, get it in that, and then afterwards sell the plane. That also gives you a flying airplane to get some experience in. Perhaps when you've flown for a while you'll want something other than the RV-7. Or perhaps that's what you'll want then.

The thing is, with experience, people sometimes change their goals or desires.

Dave
Old 04-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Tom, thanks for the post was kinda my feelings I want to build one for the experience I have been in aviation industry as an avionics tech and have the bug now.

thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 07:35 PM

Get your ppl first and figure out what kind of flying you want to do. Lots of people have visions of all these trips they are going to take, only to find out they are really $100 hamburger guys, or vice versa. See how your family responds to flying, what your typical missions are, etc... and then build appropriately.

BTW, I respectfully disagree with the idea of buying a plane to learn to fly in. While your hourly costs will be much cheaper ($35/hour fuel vs. $120/hour rental), there are some significant fixed costs that come with aircraft ownership such as hanger, insurance, mx, etc... Everyone's situation is a little different, but when you add it up you'll probably find the own/rent point is somewhere around 80-100 hours per year. We all want to fly 150 hours a year, but the reality is that most people don't do a 100. It's harder than you think. So you won't be saving much/any money, and you'll have all the distraction of ownership while learning to fly.

BTW, I am a STRONG proponent of aircraft ownership. (Full disclosure: I sell new aircraft for a living, but would feel the same regardless.) There are a lot of very good reasons to own your own aircraft. However saving money during flight training is usually not one of them.

DEM
Old 04-07-2018, 08:25 PM

Not to be Debbie Downer, but unless you have a lot of time at least riding in small planes, you might want to at least get past solo before starting a build. Supposedly, the attrition rate shortly after solo is pretty high. A lot of people feel like they've proven to themselves that they can do it after solo, & the drive just disappears.

Unless of course, you're a builder by nature. A lot of hobbyists are repeat offenders builders cars, furniture, even houses. So if you're cut from that cloth, you could approach the build as a hobby.

One thing to remember is that you'll finish flight training a lot sooner than the plane. Can you keep renting to stay current while you build?

Charlie
Old 04-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Get a simulator put together with x plane 11 get pilot edge and start flying, the even have a program to follow for learning to fly. You will pick up so much from this service the cost of the simulation will be more than paid for in your ability to get your license in less time.
Thereís plenty of you tube videos or m0A or pilotowprkshops videos etc to get you going as well.

Fly the simulator while studying for the written and youíll be ready to rock and roll by the time you get in the airplane.

The addition of pilot edge makes the simulator feel far more real. They even have a service where CFIs will watch you fly and direct you for an additional cost. I am not associated with pilot edge or any of these guys other than being a client, I just really appreciate how realistic it makes it. Itíll never be exactly the same as flying in the plane but I can tell you some of these sim guys are better pilots than real world guys... very knowledgable.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:11 AM

I'm in the "get your PPL first" camp. Or as some have demurred to, at least the solo part. I rem my first day of ground school was full of bright eyed people. Half way thru, half were gone. One guy summed it up "I thought I could just get in and go fly. Whats with all these rules?"

Its true, the bummer of flying these days is not the actual flying part - thats perhaps the funnest/easiest. Its the take off, landings and the real killer...the book work FAA airspace knowledge and how to operate in it without getting jailed or killed.

But like driving a car, once you get the book stuff in your head, the fun comes back out. Building however, is a completely different experience, and in some ways has little or nothing to do with actually operating your machine in the air. The two are separate types of "fun" for me, only linked together by the category "Aviation".
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 04-08-2018, 06:53 PM

As an RV owner, a builder, and having extensive experience as an instructor, I can tell you your goals are not mutually exclusive. You may start building and love it, or lose interest, and the same is true of flying. Either way, no harm done, kits and tools can be resold and you'll still be richer for the flight training experience should you decide to walk away. It IS quite a lot to take on at once, both financially and in terms of time to devote to the projects. A majority of the people I have trained who were working a full time job and had family or other obligations struggled just to find the time to study and fly often enough. Depending on where you live, weather may slow down your progress. Many student starts drop out eventually because they underestimate the time and money involved, or because they realize it just isn't what they expected.

The same is true of building; it's quite easy to be starry-eyed and motivated at the beginning. We finished our empennage in less than 6 weeks, and thought "wow, this is so easy!" Six years later... But we're still plugging along and I have nothing but admiration for all the amazing builders here because I now understand the scope of the job they've accomplished. It takes an exceptional person to commit to and complete either endeavor.

Nevertheless, what you're contemplating can of course be done, it will just likely be neither as quick nor as inexpensive as you might imagine. Either would be rewarding, so I would say go for it. Just be realistic about your expectations, and be prepared to sideline your build to focus on your training because the kit will quietly keep, but flying is an acquired skill that requires repetition and frequency to maintain.

VAF dues paid for 2017
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Your PPL will cost you in the neighborhood of $7500 - a/c rental, CFI rental, study materials, testing fees, and the medical.
Have all the money on hand before you begin and plan on at least 2 hours of flight time per week. Don't forget your homework, your job, and your family. Build the plane afterwards.
Florida
Old 04-15-2018, 03:07 PM

Default I'am doing it.

Is it hard work? yes!
Will you wan to quit? Probably!

I started My PPL training in May of 2014
Bought my tail kit second hand in September 2015
PPL Completed in December 2017 - 14 000$ CAD. 76 HRS
Rudder and Horz and Vert Stab complete Still working on elevators...

Since I started
Met a girl August 2014
Got Married 2017
Bought a house 2017
Baby Boy 04/07/2018

Im still moving forward!....Slowly.

Life gets busy and hobby/family balance is more important than anything
The important thing you need to take from this is Small Progress is still Progress

Baby steps add up to Big dreams

One day ill be flying an aircraft i build with my own two hands rivet by rivet!
Cant wait!
Whistler BC
RV-7 Left Elevator in progress.
2018 Dues paid