Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-02-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
What's the difference between that and just turning on your strobes and yelling "Clear"?.
Strobes can be very annoying at night. I hate sitting next to a guy on the ground who has his strobes flashing in my direction. I have a Red beacon for ground ops and turn on my strobes on as I take the runway.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
I also wanted a red beacon on the tail for ground operations. My version uses a Whelen LED unit meant for emergency vehicles.
On my -7A, I installed one like Matt's, but it's on the fin just ahead of the rudder. I also have the 3 strobe light system, wingtips and tail light. I leave it on the beacon for all ground ops. It alerts others that my engine is running or about to run and doesn't shine on the tops of the wings. It serves as a good reminder that I left the main battery on, also.

When I take the runway, the beacon goes off when the strobes come on through an ON-OFF-ON switch, so the beacon is never used inflight.

PM me with your email if you want pictures.

Mike
Old 03-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcladrv View Post
On my -7A, I installed one like Matt's, but it's on the fin just ahead of the rudder. I also have the 3 strobe light system, wingtips and tail light. I leave it on the beacon for all ground ops. It alerts others that my engine is running or about to run and doesn't shine on the tops of the wings. It serves as a good reminder that I left the main battery on, also.

When I take the runway, the beacon goes off when the strobes come on through an ON-OFF-ON switch, so the beacon is never used inflight.

PM me with your email if you want pictures.

Mike
Curious why you choose to turn it off in flight?
Old 03-03-2018, 05:58 AM

Only because the strobes are significantly brighter and I wanted to keep the operation of them on a single switch.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_aeroleds View Post
The best place for a beacon on an RV is on the belly, not on the tail... it won't shine in the cockpit if it is on your belly, it is also easier to install and wire it on the belly.
I agree with this and have been meaning to mount one of their units on my belly for some time, just haven't got around to it. I'm also a big fan of the AeroLed lights, they have great products and are great folks.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 03-03-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:22 PM

Default MSTRB=great

Bought the MSTRB as recommended by Rich. Received in just a few days and this thing is awesome even when powered by a small 9V battery. It's almost blinding even in daylight!

As above, I will use the red flashing light on the top of the VS at night before engine start principally. Due to the fact that my RV-12 Rotax engine/generator only produces about 18 amps, I am extremely limited as to power consumption and as a courtesy to others on the ground, I will leave my anti collision white flashers off until I am cleared for takeoff.

As of now (not flying yet), I highly recommend that you consider this light.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyArmy View Post
I wanted a red beacon on my tail so I wouldn't have to have my strobes on blasting people around me at night while taxiing.
Excellent thought. For in-flight a 3 position strobe is fine, but for ground ops, you just want to be noticeable, not annoying.

George
Old 03-09-2018, 12:56 PM

Default Flashing beacon

I used this one. Drilled a hole in the top of vertical fin fairing and installed with proseal. Works great, cheap and lite weight.

https://www.amazon.com/Whelen-Vertex.../dp/B009LQGVXO

Bevan.
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada