Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2018, 01:20 PM

thanks for the info. I already have a gdu 370 screen so was planning on building off of that. I can not find a list of compatible transponders. I have a GTX33 laying around, is that controllable with the GDU 370 or only with G3X touch screens?

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-08-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung View Post
Is there a SW release with this feature for the certified units?
Can an SL-30 be used as the 2nd source?
Will the HSI display both sources?

I just installed 2 G-5's in my Navion and love them.
Hello Greg,

The certified software is the same and has this capability, but there has not been an STC update that approves dual navigators.

The SL-30 cannot be used as the second navigator since it doesn't have an A429 interface like the GNC 255.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlidzct View Post
thanks for the info. I already have a gdu 370 screen so was planning on building off of that. I can not find a list of compatible transponders. I have a GTX33 laying around, is that controllable with the GDU 370 or only with G3X touch screens?

Thanks
Mark
Hello Mark,

Understand.

The GTX33 remote transponder may be used in either a G3X or G3X Touch system. This is mentioned in the installation manual.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:21 AM

Hi, on my RV7A I have a G3X Touch+GTN750+GNC255+G5. I still have an old software version on the G5 and so far I've been unable to see any NAV signal from any of the GTN or GNC on the G5, but I think the old G5 manual says this is normal unless the G3X fails (please confirm my understanding is correct). If I update the G5 to 4.10 (please confirm if ONLY a garmin dealer can do this update or I can do it myself), will I be able to see NAV data on the G5 in normal conditions, i.e. even while the G3X is working? If so, would it be possibile to show on the G5 NAV signal from the GNC255 while the G3X shows NAV signal from the GTN750?

Last edited by Mancival : 03-15-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancival View Post
Hi, on my RV7A I have a G3X Touch+GTN750+GNC255+G5. I still have an old software version on the G5 and so far I've been unable to see any NAV signal from any of the GTN or GNC on the G5, but I think the old G5 manual says this is normal unless the G3X fails (please confirm my understanding is correct). If I update the G5 to 4.10 (please confirm if ONLY a garmin dealer can do this update or I can do it myself), will I be able to see NAV data on the G5 in normal conditions, i.e. even while the G3X is working? If so, would it be possibile to show on the G5 NAV signal from the GNC255 while the G3X shows NAV signal from the GTN750?
Hello Mancival,

Nice system!

While it is possible to go to the G5 web page, download the software to an SD card and update the G5 software yourself without a dealer, we recommend you keep your G5 software in sync with your G3X Touch system.

Just update the software on your G3X Touch system (currently V5.60), and your PFD will automatically update the G5 to the current software level that matches the software being used by the rest of the system.

The newer software does provide lateral/vertical navigation information on the G5 for things like flight plan navigation, ILS approach navigation, and LPV approach navigation even when the G3X Touch displays are operational. We have a new G3X Touch software version coming out pretty soon, so you could wait for that, or update to V5.60 now.

The G5 is tightly integrated with the G3X Touch system and follows the selected navigation on that system, so it is not possible to select the GNC 255 on the G5 when the G3X Touch system is using the GTN.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-15-2018, 09:30 AM

Thanks, very useful. Last question (a bit off topic to be honest): I would like to upgrade my GTN750 to the new 6.41 software: can I update myself (since the RV7 is experimetal) or I need a Garmin dealer (since the GTN750 is certified and I wouldn't be able to access the software to download online)?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancival View Post
Thanks, very useful. Last question (a bit off topic to be honest): I would like to upgrade my GTN750 to the new 6.41 software: can I update myself (since the RV7 is experimetal) or I need a Garmin dealer (since the GTN750 is certified and I wouldn't be able to access the software to download online)?
I know Steve will chime in here soon, but since it's getting late over in London, here is the link for what you need. Having just done this, I can tell you it's pretty straight forward. Download the service bulletin, load the updates on an SD card and follow the instructions. Here's the link:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/coll...=155&pID=63892
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me