Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-01-2018, 03:35 AM

Hi Mike,

thank you for the quick reply!
Of course a system build for this purpose would be best. I just don´t know one yet.
I would need an engine -generator combo with at least 70 kw (~100hp) contious output to stay in the air and on top very slowy recharge the accumulators. e.g. Electric motor with 120kw at 10 minutes Take Off and Climb means 20 kWh of energy. 10 minutes generator at 70kw means 11kwh so after climb i would be 9kwh away from full. If an RV 7 stays during cruise in the air with 90hp (~55% of 160hp) it would take approximately 2hrs to recharge, which perfectly fits to my mission profile. Taking into consideration the losses for controller, charger, motor, heat and so on, 75kW continous would be more suitable and inverted capability would be perfect but not absolutely needed as the 15min aerobatics could be done pure electric.

Last edited by Patrick14 : 03-01-2018 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Default Hybrid Corvair

I'm going to put a 40kw motor on the back of my Corvair powered RV-4. It will have folding wings and hub motors wheels to make it "roadable".

Check out the larger project here...

I have the wings and I just picked a wrecked fuselage yesterday.
Bruce Meacham

Built/Own RV-4 254MM
Owned RV-6 4074V
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 03-05-2018, 08:12 PM

Lightweight, hi power, electric motors are fairly available. What I can't seem to find is a lightweight 125Kw generator. If someone can crack that nut the hybrid drivetrain will likely be a lot more feasible.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:55 AM
Smile Gen

Go to the junk yard and get a motor out of a wreaked Prius engine and gen combo.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Default Silent!

I neglected to mention that one of my neighbors bought a Silent 2 Electro powered sailplane from your neck of the woods last year. He flies it regularly and I have to say, very impressive. The powerplant engineering is worth a look...
Cost, efficiency, sound, and tech-savvy. I like it...