Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-04-2018, 11:06 PM

While I do not have as much different RV time as Paul, I have flown more than a few and agree to look at the aileron shape. My 8 has firm aileron stick forces with flat control surfaces. Several others I have flown had overly light stick forces with under bent, convex, control surfaces.

The thin control surfaces on the 3 can be easily overbent convex or bent with a smaller than ideal trailing edge radius. Would be worth a close look. In my opinion.

George Meketa
Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM

It took me a white to realize it, but at the bottom of each page you can set the number of threads displayed to "Beginning" and that will show you more threads. You'll find many many more topics on different matters. Here is a thread on the same topic with tried and true updates.
Keith S.
1981 RV-3 bought 1/2017. O-320 AvMap Ultra.
2018 Dues Paid.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Default Heavy aileron input

My RV3B also has heavier ailerons then some other RVs I have flown. RV3 RV4 RV6 RV7 RV8 RV9 and RV10. My ailerons are built to plan and are neither convex nor concave and fair evenly onto the bottom and top wing skins. I have compared the early RV3 aileron bell crank to the RV3B bell crank and they have the same ratio. I agree that the trailing edge shape can be used to trim wing heaviness in either direction. To lighten the stick forces some what I have welded in a bushing just bellow the original which has reduced the pivot to aileron push rod distance from 3 1/2 to about 3 1/8 inches. One possible explanation I might try to quantify is the speed of my airplane. It has a 160 HP 0-320 and wide open at sea level it will do 222 mph. I normally cruise at at 2550 RPM resulting in 190 mph average ground speeds. I tend to do aeros at cruise speeds and obviously speed has an effect on control forces.