VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-01-2018, 08:36 PM

Default Sound deadening

I added Dynamat in patches when I built my RV9. It only needed small patches in order to kill the resonance, and made a very noticeable differance to the noise and removed all the ‘tinniness’ in the panels when rapping with knuckles on the outside. The patches only need to be a few inches square or rectangular to be effective. I have them installed in the 8 that I am now building. I suspect that deadening the rear of the cockpit in the baggage area is perhaps more important than the firewall. Having compared the performance specs between the solo weight and max all up weight, I am not too concerned about a couple of pounds in weight, particularly as my aircraft is polished.

Brent
Old 03-02-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Keep in mind putting insulation on the floor skins may promote corrosion if ventilation and drainage is inhibited.
Moisture and other 'stuff' will find its way in regardless on how hard you try to prevent it.
True. I am parked under the elements and I remove to dry the carpets/upholstery on regular basis. I have drain holes at lowest points on the fuselage and still have some moisture trapped. A soundproofing mat would be soaked and nearly impossible to dehumidify.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:53 AM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
The Aeromarine kits include plastic, vinyl, and foam FAR25.853 materials on a firewall. Really stupid.
Yes you are correct. But it was felt that to those few whom could pick and choose to be able to Roll their own with the wide selection of supplies available at that site it may benefit those few. We found a kit as a whole was not desired.
Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited by Robert Anglin : 03-02-2018 at 05:59 AM.