Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I'd like to mount a Garmin GDU470 on the passenger side with something like this, is that possible?
Hello Walt,
I have my GDU 470 mounted in my panel. I actually replaced a 695 with the 470. Sorry I don't have a pic of the installation at this time I can post.

I am sure you are interested in the canted capability of what you are showing in your example but I will say in the RV I don't think it is crucial to have it tilted. I have an 8.4" GRT HX display directly in front of the passenger. It is still very easy to see even though it is not tilted toward the pilot. As for the 470, the hole I had for the 695 was the perfect size for the 470. The bracket supplied with the unit fits behind the panel and 4 screws on the corners hold it in place very securly. There was no modification needed at all when I swapped them out.

I am sure you have a different situation but I love how the 470 installed in my panel. I will try to post some pics when able.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
Hello Walt,
I have my GDU 470 mounted in my panel. I actually replaced a 695 with the 470. Sorry I don't have a pic of the installation at this time I can post.

I am sure you are interested in the canted capability of what you are showing in your example but I will say in the RV I don't think it is crucial to have it tilted. I have an 8.4" GRT HX display directly in front of the passenger. It is still very easy to see even though it is not tilted toward the pilot. As for the 470, the hole I had for the 695 was the perfect size for the 470. The bracket supplied with the unit fits behind the panel and 4 screws on the corners hold it in place very securly. There was no modification needed at all when I swapped them out.

I am sure you have a different situation but I love how the 470 installed in my panel. I will try to post some pics when able.
maybe a mount with a hinge to allow two positions, straight and tilted towards the pilot.

Simplicity is the art in design.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:37 PM

Default these have speed written all over them !

needs some tweaking, then bam, time to fly!

Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Default design tweaks

the more I looked at this it is apparent the off angle of the cable to the rudder bar will wear the components. the upper clevis aft outer hole edge and the forward upper alum bar hole edge and aft lower bar hole edge. I added a lube hole to the fwd upper to fairing to be able to add lubricant easily with a spray tube like LPS or one a drop or two of heavier lube with a syringe. the lubricant will pass under the bolt head to the shank. still working the cotter pin attachment method and need to adjust the clearance of the fairings to the bar but some progress. I'm really trying to stop dragging my nuts thru the air stream.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-17-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM

Seems like you're missing the much larger drag-inducing vertical portion right g html next to it. I wonder if others anything that can be done there?
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Seems like you're missing the much larger drag-inducing vertical portion right g html next to it. I wonder if others anything that can be done there?
Or a fairing to go over the rudder stop fittings, even... Hmm...
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

If you're going to work in that area, why not just extend the cable exit fairing aft to cover that whole area; rudder stop, rudder control horn (angle), etc. Would obviously need to be two pieces; one on the fuselage and the other on the rudder.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

not too bad. the lubrication method works well. no more mess when lubing this area and I verified the lube washes down the bolt shank. nut is min clearance. special tool print for nut install finger tight, then cotter pin. still need to adjust the fillet for clevis sides. it must be a compound radius. the clevis model is not simple to model, it is an engineered part and somewhat elegant. does anyone know who designed this clevis?

Last edited by Steve Melton : Yesterday at 02:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
the more I looked at this it is apparent the off angle of the cable to the rudder bar will wear the components. the upper clevis aft outer hole edge and the forward upper alum bar hole edge and aft lower bar hole edge....

Just install a thin stainless -3 AN washer in between the clevis legs to take up the excess clearance, either on top or below the rudder horn. I didn't care for that slop when I built my -6 and have had washers in there for the 740 hours it's been flying.

If you install washers, then you can easily use those adorable fairings!

Last edited by hgerhardt : Yesterday at 02:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
If you're going to work in that area, why not just extend the cable exit fairing aft to cover that whole area; rudder stop, rudder control horn (angle), etc. Would obviously need to be two pieces; one on the fuselage and the other on the rudder.
the items within an inch of the aft fuselage skin are swallowed in the boundary layer. there is limited benefit in fairing those items. the clevis however is in the free air stream.

Last edited by Steve Melton : Yesterday at 06:50 PM.