VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #391  
Old 02-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Walt's Avatar
Walt Walt is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 4,929
Default

I'd like to mount a Garmin GDU470 on the passenger side with something like this, is that possible?
__________________
Walt Aronow, Dallas, TX (52F) RV7A, IO360, C/S, 1500+hrs

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 02-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Saville's Avatar
Saville Saville is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: KBVY Massachusetts
Posts: 846
Default

One idea I had was a fixture for a GoPro which had mirror holder that rotated, and a method to screw the fixture into one of the tie-down/jack points..

The camera is looking down but there's a 45 degree angled mirror so what it sees is a horizontal view. Then with a (bluetooth?) signal the mirror can be rotated through 360 degrees so you can look forward, aft, out the wingtip, towards the fuselage.
__________________
Flying RV-8 N880BC
2019 Dues - happily paid.
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM
rv7charlie rv7charlie is online now
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pocahontas MS
Posts: 3,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
One idea I had was a fixture for a GoPro which had mirror holder that rotated, and a method to screw the fixture into one of the tie-down/jack points..

The camera is looking down but there's a 45 degree angled mirror so what it sees is a horizontal view. Then with a (bluetooth?) signal the mirror can be rotated through 360 degrees so you can look forward, aft, out the wingtip, towards the fuselage.
Or, you could just
http://diytripods.com/gopro-pan-tilt...ntrol-fixture/
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 02-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Saville's Avatar
Saville Saville is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: KBVY Massachusetts
Posts: 846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
What fun is that?

Actually looks like to moves a little to fast. But yeah that will do it. I thought that moving the mirror might make for a lighter system.

Here is a homebrew system that doesn't look too bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTzgsmA4Rqc

They even rigged it with a head tracker so that the camera follows where you look (though they don't show you how that's done).
__________________
Flying RV-8 N880BC
2019 Dues - happily paid.

Last edited by Saville : 02-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 02-10-2018, 04:48 PM
rv7charlie rv7charlie is online now
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pocahontas MS
Posts: 3,329
Default

The mount is just following the joystick. Move it slower, and the camera moves slower. That's achievable with a longer stick, or a multi-turn pot for each axis, or...
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM
RVbySDI's Avatar
RVbySDI RVbySDI is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tuttle, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I'd like to mount a Garmin GDU470 on the passenger side with something like this, is that possible?
Hello Walt,
I have my GDU 470 mounted in my panel. I actually replaced a 695 with the 470. Sorry I don't have a pic of the installation at this time I can post.

I am sure you are interested in the canted capability of what you are showing in your example but I will say in the RV I don't think it is crucial to have it tilted. I have an 8.4" GRT HX display directly in front of the passenger. It is still very easy to see even though it is not tilted toward the pilot. As for the 470, the hole I had for the 695 was the perfect size for the 470. The bracket supplied with the unit fits behind the panel and 4 screws on the corners hold it in place very securly. There was no modification needed at all when I swapped them out.

I am sure you have a different situation but I love how the 470 installed in my panel. I will try to post some pics when able.
__________________
RVBYSDI
Steve
RV9A
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Steve Melton's Avatar
Steve Melton Steve Melton is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
Hello Walt,
I have my GDU 470 mounted in my panel. I actually replaced a 695 with the 470. Sorry I don't have a pic of the installation at this time I can post.

I am sure you are interested in the canted capability of what you are showing in your example but I will say in the RV I don't think it is crucial to have it tilted. I have an 8.4" GRT HX display directly in front of the passenger. It is still very easy to see even though it is not tilted toward the pilot. As for the 470, the hole I had for the 695 was the perfect size for the 470. The bracket supplied with the unit fits behind the panel and 4 screws on the corners hold it in place very securly. There was no modification needed at all when I swapped them out.

I am sure you have a different situation but I love how the 470 installed in my panel. I will try to post some pics when able.
maybe a mount with a hinge to allow two positions, straight and tilted towards the pilot.
__________________
Steve Melton
Cincinnati, OH
RV-9A, Tip-up, Superior O-320, roller lifters, 160HP, WW 200RV, dual impulse slick mags, oil pressure = 65 psi, EGT = 1300F, flight hours = 700+ for all

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Steve Melton's Avatar
Steve Melton Steve Melton is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,860
Default these have speed written all over them !

needs some tweaking, then bam, time to fly!



__________________
Steve Melton
Cincinnati, OH
RV-9A, Tip-up, Superior O-320, roller lifters, 160HP, WW 200RV, dual impulse slick mags, oil pressure = 65 psi, EGT = 1300F, flight hours = 700+ for all

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Steve Melton's Avatar
Steve Melton Steve Melton is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,860
Default design tweaks

the more I looked at this it is apparent the off angle of the cable to the rudder bar will wear the components. the upper clevis aft outer hole edge and the forward upper alum bar hole edge and aft lower bar hole edge. I added a lube hole to the fwd upper to fairing to be able to add lubricant easily with a spray tube like LPS or one a drop or two of heavier lube with a syringe. the lubricant will pass under the bolt head to the shank. still working the cotter pin attachment method and need to adjust the clearance of the fairings to the bar but some progress. I'm really trying to stop dragging my nuts thru the air stream.







__________________
Steve Melton
Cincinnati, OH
RV-9A, Tip-up, Superior O-320, roller lifters, 160HP, WW 200RV, dual impulse slick mags, oil pressure = 65 psi, EGT = 1300F, flight hours = 700+ for all

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-17-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 AM
RV7A Flyer's Avatar
RV7A Flyer RV7A Flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: US
Posts: 1,715
Default

Seems like you're missing the much larger drag-inducing vertical portion right g html next to it. I wonder if others anything that can be done there?
__________________
2019 Dues paid!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.