VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-03-2018, 05:02 PM

Today was fun, I match drilled approx. 302 holes in the right lower wing skin. Deburred about 1100 holes, dimpled around 500 holes and set about 30 rivets. I think I'd rather be doing fiberglass work but hopefully tomorrow I can finish the skin and start on fitting the wingtips. Oh yeah, I also made one extra hole while dimpling. I didn't get too upset, just but on some flat dies and squashed it flat.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:24 PM

Right skin finished.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 PM

Today I wanted to get the wingtips in place and drilled to the wings. I only got the right one drilled to #40 but it is straight! To start I made an aileron center jig and clamped the aileron to it. Then I had to cut some material off the bellcrank jig to allow it to clear the Garmin AP servo brace. Once those were in place I adjusted the pushrod length and tightened it down. Next I clamped the bell crank jig to the bolt that holds the pushrod so I could get the wingtip aligned.

While installing the pushrod I found it very difficult to get the washer and nut on the bolt that attaches the aileron to the pushrod then I remembered having similar issues while helping build my brothers RV-10. A long time ago I stumbled across some tools that hold washers and nuts for a situation just like this and bought them. Here they are in action. VERY handy!

The wingtip didn't fit very well at first but after using a cut off wheel to trim the rear edges and a long sanding block to even out the flanges it looked pretty good. I held it in place keeping it even to the trailing edge while I got my dad and another coworker drilled the tip from the leading to the trailing edge clerking every hole as we went. Turned out just about perfect. I only need to sand the tip at the outside edge and trim it a little to match the aileron perfectly.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:30 PM

Default AeroSun VX install attempt #1

Today I removed the right wingtip and read the installation instructions for the AeroSun VX landing lights. I thought I understood them pretty well and started to make the cutout for the light. I placed the template in the tip and drilled both holes to #30, marked out the area for removal with a fine sharpie and used a cutoff wheel to remove a large portion. Then I used a small bit in a air grinder and cut up to the line being sure not to remove it. Some 100 grit sand paper was used and I sanded into the line a little before checking the final fit. It took about 3-4 times of removing just a little here and there before the light would fit in the cutout like it says in the instructions. I think they call out about 1/2" on the inside and 2" on the outside that the light protrudes from the opening. The instructions don't say anything about trimming the light but I had to remove a little material at the flanges that hold the insert nuts so they not hit the tip. (pics below) All looked great and I went ahead and drilled the two screw holes to #27. I assembled the screws and washers and springs.... Uh Oh.... something isn't quite right. It looks like by inserting the screws that the whole light has moved outward by almost 1/8". What used to fit perfectly now fits like ****. I checked the template against the left side light and the holes in the template seem to line up pretty well. Not sure whats going on but I suspect that I may have to fill the holes and drill new ones. I'll figure this out tomorrow but I do want to say that I am looking for perfection here. I like working with fiberglass and I want a perfect even reveal all around the light of about 1/16". Heres some random pics of the process and some of me just taking pics at different angles trying to figure out what to do.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:32 PM

No progress today but I did think of the idea of over cutting the hole completely on all sides and then putting enough tape around the light to make a 1/16 spacer all around then just fill it in with epoxy and filler. Just need to figure out the centering of it and redrilling the holes. I know Im going overboard with this but I just want a perfect looking light cove. I mean these are really nice looking lights and they deserve a proper fit! Just rambling on..... Well see what tomorrow brings.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Hey Jamie,

Looks like you're doing a good job on the AeroSun VXs. I've also installed them on my 7 (still building). You've probably considered this for your taildragger, but one light may be angled differently for taxi compared to the other for landing. Maybe a slightly different fit with the fiberglass per side.
2017 VAF SUPPORTER
Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
Hey Jamie,

Looks like you're doing a good job on the AeroSun VXs. I've also installed them on my 7 (still building). You've probably considered this for your taildragger, but one light may be angled differently for taxi compared to the other for landing. Maybe a slightly different fit with the fiberglass per side.
Thats an excellent idea! I've been wondering how to overcome the pitch differences in the different phases of landing and getting the lights to cover them.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 PM

Default Success!!

So, after thinking about the cutout for the light, I decided to overcut the hole and fill it in with epoxy and filler. After doing this I realized that it was much easier and more precise than trying to cut a perfect hole for the light.

I took all of the protection material off of the light and wrapped about 6-8 layers of electrical tape around the perimeter of the light where it is close to the wingtip. Next I used an air dremel and enlarged the opening about 1/8". Roughed everything up with 100 grit paper and wiped it down with acetone. In order to get the clearance at the outermost tip I had to slot the two screw holes. (I'll fill them in later) Then I mounted the light, mixed some epoxy and put it in a syringe. Filled in the outside edge and let it cure. Today I got to the shop and popped the light out after removing the screws and clekos. I took about 2-3 minutes with some 100 and 180 grit paper to have it sanded down to near perfection. I'll let the pics take over to show the process.

Last edited by J_Turner : 01-11-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:51 PM