VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 PM

I have oil canning on mine. I fretted about it, emailed vans, they mentioned they have it on some of the demonstrators too. Moved on. Later saw it on at least one of their planes at the tent at Osh. Either the metallic 14 and/or the 9- canít recall. Iíd like for it to be perfect but not something I lose sleep over.
VAF Dues paid - 2017
Old 01-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Oil canning

Building a 9a and far from flying but I cut divinycell foam for ribs to go between the stiffeners where my rudder was oil canning. This is the same foam the trim tab ribs are made of. Van's said it was ok to do so. Aircraft spruce sells it
Old 01-09-2018, 02:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to Vans, they told me to build on - the oil canning may disappear as I drill and assemble or o may just have to live with it. Apparently not uncommon on the rudders. They said I could redo the affected stiffners but no guarantee it would cure it.
I was warned when I started, to maintain high standards but not to get hung up on achieving absolute perfection....guess itís about finding the balance but a safe one at that
Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisran75 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I spoke to Vans, they told me to build on - the oil canning may disappear as I drill and assemble or o may just have to live with it. Apparently not uncommon on the rudders. They said I could redo the affected stiffners but no guarantee it would cure it.
I was warned when I started, to maintain high standards but not to get hung up on achieving absolute perfection....guess itís about finding the balance but a safe one at that
Chris,
My rudder had a bit of a twist. Like you I sent photos to Vans and they said not to worry. It turned out to be a non-issue. So the advice to "build on" is good advice!

Now for my suggestion! Fly your plane with that "9" rudder for six months.
Then build an "8" rudder and install it. You'll have to change the vertical stabilizer top faring too, so be sure to put -6 nut plates up there.
Be sure to weigh the rudders and adjust your W/B.

You'll be so happy with the difference!

I did this after about 2 years of flying the 9 rudder.
I think it makes the airplane look better too!

As you may know the very first 7's came with the 8 rudder. But Vans didn't like the spin recovery of the 8 rudder. I've heard it was like 1/2 a turn too long. Somebody please correct me if that is not correct. So they decided to use the 9 rudder and it came out of a spin with less turns.

So in the end that rudder you are concerned about now should eventually wind up on the wall of your man cave, IMHO

Mark
FFI FL-24