- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 View Post
?? to G3XPERT

Hi Steve

I will be buying a GDL-82 soon and was wondering if the Wass Antenna could be mounted under the cowling or the instrument panel and still get good reception??

I running out of room to mount antennas on my RV-4..

Thanks

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca
Hello Bruno,

It is best to follow the GPS antenna installation guidance in the GDL 82 installation manual. It is only 1 page, and an easy read.

Both of the locations you mention would likely have enough airframe shadowing to fail to meet the low angle performance required for ADS-B Out position sources.

Additionally, the GA 35 and GA 36 antennas which are capable of meeting the ADS-B Out performance requirements have an operating temperature limitation of -55C to +85C (185F), and we don't recommend mounting them at the top of the cowling where post-flight temperatures can damage a very expensive antenna.

None of us like to mount antennas to the outside of our aircraft, but sometimes we can't avoid it.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
Hi Steve,

Today I got an advertising email from a popular newsletter, which featured the GDL 82. The emailed advertisement included the following statement:

"And it's available and ready for installation today."

Is there a website or location that will sell me one right now, and it will be delivered in the next few days? The vendor I've selected is guessing late January at the earliest. Similar estimates at other vendors.

Thanks!

Carl
Carl and Jim,

Sorry, but we don't have any visibility into which of our many dealers do and don't have GDL 82 inventory.

The pre-orders likely depleted the initial shipments, but hopefully we will catch up to the backlog soon so dealers will have them on their shelves when customers need them.

Thank you for your patience and support,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Thumbs up GDL-82 ANTENNA

Hello Steve

Thank you for the reply.

Yeap, that is what I thought so I will mount it just behind the rear seat and remove the XM antenna to get the required room...

Happy Holidays

Bruno
Old 12-27-2017, 04:35 PM

My GDL-82 is in route to me via UPS. Got the tracking number from the dealer. Santa was snowed in up in the northeast so he sent it via UPS. Should be here any day now.

My advice is to call around to the Garmin dealers and ask if they have any available from their initial order, it worked for me. I checked states close to mine to avoid paying sales tax also.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 AM

It's here! It's here!

I received my GDL-82, albeit Santa delivered it a few days late, I have it.

I'm gathering the few parts needed to get it installed. I should make my 2/2/18 deadline for the rebate.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 AM

G3xpert,
Hey Garmin guys, I am needing to know if there is a specific distance needed to separate the GDL-82 GPS antenna from any other GPS antenna. Where I am looking to mount the GPS antenna could be anywhere from 1-2 ft from an existing GPS antenna for my GDU470. Will this cause any reception issues?
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
G3xpert,
Hey Garmin guys, I am needing to know if there is a specific distance needed to separate the GDL-82 GPS antenna from any other GPS antenna. Where I am looking to mount the GPS antenna could be anywhere from 1-2 ft from an existing GPS antenna for my GDU470. Will this cause any reception issues?
Steve, this is covered on page 30 of the manual. Section 4.5.2 covers all the GPS antenna considerations. It talks about center to center distance for other GPS antennas.

7. A 12 inch center-to-center spacing between GPS antennas is required to achieve the best possible
low-elevation antenna gain by minimizing pattern degradation due to shadowing and near-field interaction.
When practical, 12 inch center-to-center spacing between GPS antennas must be used. If 12 inch spacing is
not practical, the maximum center-to-center spacing possible must be used, but never less than 9 inch
center-to-center spacing. Spacing less than 9 inches center-to-center results in unacceptable antenna pattern
degradation.

Last edited by Shawn25854 : 01-03-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Yes, thanks. The Garmin guys also sent me an email directing me to the same information. I appreciate the quick replies both from here and from the Garmin g3Xpert group.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 AM

Default RS-232 function on the two types of GLD 82's

On the GLD 82 the RS-232 (pins 8&9) are shown attached to a WAAS GPS navigator like a Garmin GTN.

For those of us with the GDL 82 with GPS/SBAS, can we get WAAS quality info to an efis, datalogger, 406 ELT, etc?

The install manual is quite clear in the first scenario, and perhaps I've missed it on the second.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomocom View Post
On the GLD 82 the RS-232 (pins 8&9) are shown attached to a WAAS GPS navigator like a Garmin GTN.

For those of us with the GDL 82 with GPS/SBAS, can we get WAAS quality info to an efis, datalogger, 406 ELT, etc?

The install manual is quite clear in the first scenario, and perhaps I've missed it on the second.
Hello Stan,

No, the GDL 82 doesn't currently output any GPS data, but we haven't totally ruled out providing ADS-B+ or MapMX like the GNS/GTN/GTX 335/345 w/GPS.

The G5, for example, uses MapMX format data from a GTX 335/345 with internal GPS so it can use that GPS data instead of needing its own GPS antenna.

It isn't, however, common for devices like ELT's to know how to use data in this format.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by g3xpert : 01-25-2018 at 08:06 AM.