- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-28-2017, 07:39 PM

Default Aerocanopy for RV8

Hello folks,

Hope you all had a good Xmas.

Went flying on Tuesday to do a short aileron rigging test. Some time during the flight heard a bang, had no idea what it was. Headed back to airport. Once back in the hangar, I noticed the huge crack in the canopy. It had continued from an incipient crack I had stopped-drilled during the build. It had held fine up to this point, but I guess the extreme cold temperature was too much for it this time.

Vans sells a new canopy for 1200$. Aircraft Spruce sells experimental canopies by Aerocanopy for 675$. Anyone have experience with these canopies? Would appreciate any advice.

For the record, I'm NOT looking forward to installing a new canopy...

Thanks in advance,

Normand
RV8 C-GNGN
Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 AM

Default canopy repair

No experience with that vendor -- but consider repair. Obviously, we don't see what you are looking at, but:

https://www.polyvance.com/pfxcanopy.php-1
Dues paid 2017, 2018
Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 PM

Hello Ben,

I have seen this web site and am considering my options. Mine is a very clean crack and so far I've tried methylene chloride but there is a small gap caused by the stress that provoked the crack in the first place. I will probably need to use a thicker solvent to fill the void.

I'm still considering the replacement option as I doubt I will be satisfied with a repair that is less than perfect...

Thanks for rhe suggestion.

Normand
Old 12-29-2017, 06:50 PM

Did the original crack emanate from a hole/pulled rivet used in the initial installation?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Hello Scott,

Yes, the original hole was a crack emanating from a pulled rivet hole. I probably did not enlarge the hole enough during the build.

regards,

Normand
Old 12-31-2017, 10:06 AM

Hi Normand, I believe that Lance Logan Stuart, FL Plane based at X58 purchased Todd's tools and is now making canopies. Username judoka5051. That might be an option.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 01-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Hi,

Yes I read that in some of the posts. Also read that Lance does not produce canopies using 1/4 inch acrylic as Todd apparenly did, but 3/16 inch as Vans and Aerocanopies do. So not sure if there is still a quality advantage.

I've ordered a Plastifix kit from ACS and will give it a try. It may keep me satisfied until I get the a/c painted.

Cheers

Normand
RV8 C-GNGN
Old 01-05-2018, 07:28 AM

Default Canopy thickness...

Good morning all,

Just stumbled onto this thread. Todd primarily used 3/16" material for all canopies. He would make a 1/4" canopy if you insisted. I bought the canopy for my 8A from him and originally want the 1/4 material. He talked me out of it, explaining that it was quite a bit heavier. He happened to have a 3/16 in stock at the time, so I bought and installed it with sikaflex. Messy, but worth it!

I'm fine with the 3/16" material, but, I plan on trying to form just the windshield portion out of 3/8" for those RV8 flyers concerned about bird strikes. Won't do me a bit of good though, mine's a fastback tip-up...

Regards, Lance

P.S. If you see this Doug, I'd like to advertise here. I emailed you a while back. You probably get a million a day though, so good luck finding it!

judoka5051@yahoo.com
561-779-9932

Scratchbuilt Biplane
Preceptor N3 - Sold
Zenith Zodiac 601HD - Sold (good riddance)
Kitfox IV - Sold my share, but loved that plane
RV8A Sold! Loved the plane, but not the nosewheel!
RVX (RV6/4) Sold
RV8 Project purchased (Can't help myself)
Old 01-06-2018, 06:23 AM

Exclamation Beware the cold.

Wow, that's the third cracked canopy I have heard of this week! The bitter cold that has enveloped most of the nation this week is bringing a rash of troubles to many. My canopy cracked in September on a 75-degree day! I have installed a new canopy with Sikaflex and hope to never have to do it again. Just curious, has anyone ever heard of a Sikeflexed canopy cracking?
Track Me *** Gold Hill Airpark (NC25)
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 01-06-2018, 06:48 AM

I have a “Todd’s” canopy on my -4. Has anyone taken over the operation or filled the void from Todd?
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying